Gransnet forums

AIBU

Hubby re-opening small shop in Lockdown

(70 Posts)
skunkhair63 Mon 27-Apr-20 03:03:13

As a small family business, we can't afford to remain closed any longer. We are "allowed" to open as it's a Hardware shop. DH has held off as long as poss, but now feels the time is right to re-open (as B&Q etc have already done). We have decided that I should stay home - if he gets ill I will have to care for him, which seems a sensible move. But I have also told him we will have to self-distance at home, with designated rooms/areas for both of us, 2 metres apart at all times. I feel guilty though, and wonder if I am being "over the top". AIBU?

BlueSky Thu 30-Apr-20 12:25:55

Tangerine if they are self isolating or one is vulnerable and the other out working, then I guess they shouldn't. Otherwise no problem!

SirChenjin Thu 30-Apr-20 11:10:21

As are ‘toys’ apparently grin

notanan2 Wed 29-Apr-20 13:23:41

Tangetine apparently pregnancy test sales are up so yes!

Tangerine Wed 29-Apr-20 11:44:05

I hate to lower the tone but I'd like to ask something.

Are couples refraining from having sex during lockdown? I bet they aren't!! Well, not all of them anyway.

Yes, I can see why you're anxious and I think, if your home is suitable to do so, keep away from each other as much as possible perhaps and be as safe as possible within the shop.

In reality though, it must be difficult in the average person's home to be isolated from other inhabitants.

timetogo2016 Wed 29-Apr-20 11:20:28

Spot on Calendergirl.

BlueSky Wed 29-Apr-20 08:43:15

Our Corner Shop has never been so busy! You realise how important they are to small communities during difficult times!

Susan56 Wed 29-Apr-20 08:31:45

skunkhair glad it is all going well?

Witzend Wed 29-Apr-20 07:47:58

How I wish we had a shop like that around here, OP! All the best, I’m sure locals will be very pleased to see it open.
A dd has a brilliant hardware shop walking distance from her house. I love it, he almost always not only has whatever I want, but also knows where to find it!

SirChenjin Tue 28-Apr-20 20:36:02

Thanks for the update skunkhair63 - that’s great to hear it’s going well smile

BlueSky Tue 28-Apr-20 20:33:56

GrauntyHelen I've phrased it wrong, of course no sex could be a problem for a lot of 70+!

skunkhair63 Tue 28-Apr-20 19:28:27

Thanks to all for your contributions to this debate! Our shop has re-opened, and all is going okay with the protections we have put in place. Customers have actually congratulated DH on the new measures. Self distancing at home is okay too, we can still see and hear each other, which is better than for those who are choosing to move out of their family homes, or been deployed (as in the Army etc). DH is happier as he feels he is protecting me, and vice versa. On the grand scale of things, it's not such a sacrifice really, and it won't be forever. And as the kitchen is "mine", I have to get all the cups of tea etc. for him - he's loving that aspect! smile

Seefah Tue 28-Apr-20 16:45:31

Skunkhair63. I don’t think you are OTT at all !! I am OTT about Covid but I don’t think anyone will regret being OTT , however they might regret being casual and hoping for the best and then getting a dose!
I have been wearing a mask and gloves since early March, isolating, taking vit DK2,C , zinc and immune boosters and I am at high risk and Im still here.

SunnySusie Tue 28-Apr-20 16:44:48

My husband returned to work on Monday. He leaves his shoes in the garage when he gets home and never brings them into the house. He removes all his clothes in the garage, puts on a dressing gown, washes everything at 60 degrees, has a shower and then that's it. We dont isolate from each other in the house. We are mid-60s with no underlying health conditions and I am out several times a week helping elderly neighbours with shopping and picking up prescriptions so I cant see the point. I think we have taken reasonable precautions. I know three people who have had the virus, all mildly. One is 97, caught it in hospital having her hip replaced, but is home and doing well.

Bluecat Tue 28-Apr-20 16:26:00

SilverDarlings12, I hope all goes well for your sick people.

GrauntyHelen Tue 28-Apr-20 14:53:21

@BlueSky speak for yourself the over 70 in this household would find that a problem !

SilverDarlings12 Tue 28-Apr-20 14:52:48

You are definitely not over the top---Boundaries for you and
yours. I have 3 people with the Virus in ICU. ++

Bluecat Tue 28-Apr-20 14:31:31

I think you're absolutely right to live separately. Make a small sacrifice now, live to see the future.

Sussexborn Tue 28-Apr-20 13:50:30

It sounds as if you have thought things through and are taking all possible precautions. Do what you are comfortable with.

Good luck and hope all goes well for you.

Caro57 Tue 28-Apr-20 13:34:48

DH vulnerable -we are distancing, separate bedrooms, bathrooms, towels in kitchen etc. Any eating utensils that cannot go in dishwasher we are keeping separate. I am using disinfectant wipes every morning on switches, handles, phones, remote controls, taps etc. I am a nurse and after work strip off at the backdoor, uniform in washing machine and go straight into ‘my’ shower. So far so good..........

Jillybird Tue 28-Apr-20 13:32:33

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ALANaV Tue 28-Apr-20 13:25:13

WELL DONE for setting an example and re opening your shop. I am sure you will find a way to self isolate as much as you need as a couple. In Sweden shops, cafes and restuarants are open, people are being sensible, as their government asks and are not being treated like children, but responsible adults. It is a fact that this country will have at some time to get back on its feel or there will be disaster for people, health, and the economy. It would have been much better if the UK had taken this stance ….only time will tell if, pro rata to the population of Sweden (and South Korea where measures are not as stringent) deaths are of a similar proportion or less. Mass hysteria helps no one, We are only being fed what they want us to hear. There is no breakdown, for instance, of deaths in care homes due to any underlying health conditions, deaths of people who have signed (co erced or of their own free will) DNAR forms …….or simply arrived at the end of their lives naturally. It is a sad but inevitable fact we are all going to die at sometime ...congratulations and flowers for your sensible approach and I hope people will support your business

Xrgran Tue 28-Apr-20 12:37:40

I’m going to start making scrubs bags for care workers but a pillowcase would do. If he removes his outer clothes and puts in bag then wash at 60 degrees.

Will he wear a mask ?

Will you have to take cash or can people pay by card. If he’s handling cash he will need to be really careful with hand washing plus if he is restocking and opening parcels etc. It’s taking ages to wash all my shopping and contents of veg boxes atm so can only imagine the problems in a shop.

GreenGran78 Tue 28-Apr-20 12:13:09

My son, who lives with me since his dad died, has had to go back to work. We are taking sensible precautions, I’m not unduly worried, and I’m 80 - though with no health problems. I’m sure that you will both be fine, as long as you follow the instructions. Some people are becoming a bit paranoid about being infected.

I’m more worried about my youngest son, in Australia. He manages a shop which sells parts for washing-machines, etc. He put in shielding routines as soon as this situation started, but his wife is due to have a baby at any moment. They are being as careful as possible, but I can’t help feeling nervous for them. Her birth plans have all gone out of the window, and so has my trip to be with them for the happy event.

We must just try to Keep Calm, and Carry On!

jen53 Tue 28-Apr-20 11:52:15

Our local hardware shop has remained opened but has much reduced hours 10-3. Only one person is allowed in at a time, with markings outside to guide the queuing, which goes either side of the entrance. People are really good at knowing who’s next. Once a person has left the shop, the next customer goes in and stands 2 metres from the newly erected counter. There’s no wandering around the shop allowed. Instead you have to tell the assistant what you need and he/she retrieves it. The item/s are then put on the counter and the assistant moves 2 metres away whilst payment is taken by card only.
It’s a very slick operation and everyone seems as safe as possible. I was wearing a mask and gloves but the assistant had only gloves.

Daisyboots Tue 28-Apr-20 11:00:19

Skunkgirl do whatever you feel is best for you. My DD and DGS both work for a major supermarket while DSiL and other DGS are working from home. When DD and DGS come home shoes are taken off at the door, clothes go in the washing machine and they shower. Then life goes on much as normal as it always has. They have been living like this since the beginning and are in their mid fifties. So try not to worry too much.