Gransnet forums

AIBU

Priority Slot Disappeared!

(57 Posts)
Glenfinnan Thu 21-May-20 01:08:09

Like so many we are socially isolating. DH is 76 with chronic lung condition and I’m 70. We have both had the covid19 virus which has left us both under par. I’ve had a Waitrose priority slot for 6/7 weeks which is a godsend as we don’t have any children to shop for us. Suddenly it’s disappeared! I can’t get any slots at all and I’ve tried so many times and at different times ie just after midnight etc etc. I’ve sent emails ( no response) completes another priority form but it takes 21 days for a reply, and tried to ring their customer services but queues so long the calls time out. Has this happened to anyone else? If so do you have any advice please.

Diggingdoris Fri 22-May-20 10:00:51

I had a delivery from Iceland when no-one else had slots. Then I had a click and collect from Tesco which was a very slick system with no contact. This time I've booked a c and c from Sainsbury. So it really is a case of registering with all local supermarkets, if you can't get your regular slot reinstated. Good luck. I know what a worry the shopping situation is.

JuliaM Fri 22-May-20 09:58:29

I used to have an Iceland delivery every week when Lockdown first started, but the last few deliveries were quite disapointing with basic staples such as Bread and Milk missing and out of stock, along with several other items on an average order totalling around £65 pw.
It got so.bad in the end that we used to jokingly call.it ' Iceland Bingo' trying to guess what would be missing off the order for that week, and sometimes adding items like Long life milk just incase the fresh milk never arrived, and bread rolls incase there was no sliced bread available.
Eventually we managed to get registed with Sainsburys through the Gov.NHS Sheilding scheme, but not until the advisor rang us to see if we were managing ok, to which I explained that due to.me being under 70, even with the letter, Sainsburys refused us registration and deliveries.
However, I have tried to book a slot this week without success, then got the messagethat now some of the lockdown restrictions were being lifted, the slots once more are being offered to 'other customers' and priority was back to those who happened to spot them first as they were being released. So goodness knows what will happen now as we are still officiallySheilding and in lockdown ourselves due to long term pre-esisting conditions.

LadyAnn Fri 22-May-20 09:44:48

I am working on a Help Line with North Lanarkshire Council. On the shielding letter from the Scottish Government ( I assume UK Government) there is a CHI number at the top of the page. When you go onto a supermarket web site put this number in and that will get you a priority slot.

patricia1958 Fri 22-May-20 09:38:56

Do you have a sainsbury's bear you if so ring their customer service and talk to them ring at 8am you will not have to wait long sainsburys really do care you could try tesco as well but ring customers service hope this helps

TATT Fri 22-May-20 09:25:14

You can self-refer to the NHS Responders scheme now.

volunteering.royalvoluntaryservice.org.uk/nhs-volunteer-responders

Hibs Fri 22-May-20 09:12:06

Go on their Facebook page. I had the same problem - they got back to me on there.

Roddi3363 Fri 22-May-20 09:10:55

Try phoning the manager of your local store. It worked for a friend.

Hetty58 Fri 22-May-20 07:38:57

For anyone else who is having trouble, ring your local council as they should have a list of what help is available in your area.
(Also try shoppingslot.co.uk.) Here there were problems with supermarkets a few weeks back but now there's even a choice!

Puzzler61 Fri 22-May-20 07:30:42

Hurrah Glenfinnan. Success !
So glad the gn community has helped you out ?
Enjoy filling your online ‘basket’ with essentials and some treats for you and your DH.
Take care. ?

NfkDumpling Fri 22-May-20 06:19:30

Pleased to hear you've got somewhere Glenfinnan. It's a problem that all the supermarkets have different systems. I like Tesco because I can have deliveries sorted for three weeks ahead, so I feel more secure.

Our DC told us to get onto several systems and shop around to get slots but we've not had to. I think it varies a lot by area. Tesco is bigger here.

DH who does the cooking and shopping has been loyal to Sainsbury's for years and was quite upset that we couldn't get deliveries with them.

Glenfinnan Thu 21-May-20 23:33:34

Thank you everyone! I rang Tesco (thank you nfk dumpling for the telephone number) they were so helpful and I have priority slots, so relieved and DH has stopped stressing which means I have too!!!

Puzzler61 Thu 21-May-20 20:26:25

I would follow Woodmouse’s advice and get some groceries immediately from Morrison’s.
Regarding Sainsbury’s I do similar to you Wibby.
I have a delivery every Wednesday but can only book 1 week at a time.
Day after a delivery I log in to my account and Sainsbury’s has available slots on the following 3 days. I’m not sure why they show those as no one is allowed more than 1 in 7 days (their rule, rightly so).
But by Monday I can see available dates for Mon. Tues. Wed. and I book a Wed. slot.
I plonk 2 bottles of Pimms in the basket to hold the cheapest time slot, and then go back and do my whole shop at a later time (and take the Pimms out).
If you can’t get hold of anyone at Sainsbury’s to speak I’d say try another like Tesco or Iceland (or Co-op in some areas).
The government has supplied their Vulnerable People’s data to all supermarkets.
Good Luck Glenfinnan.

WOODMOUSE49 Thu 21-May-20 20:03:19

Morrisons have a number for next day delivery
"*Call 0345 611 6111* and select option 5 to place your order. Any order placed before 5pm we will aim to deliver the next day. In order to use this service you must live within 10 miles of a Morrisons store. There is an limit of three per item whilst using this service."

You do get a person to talk to - not a computer. It is for essential items.

Newatthis Thu 21-May-20 19:56:31

Mine did exactly the same. The trick is put your order in in advance check it out and place order (even just a few items as it can be amended nearer the time). We do our 10 days in advance then your priority slot is held.

NfkDumpling Thu 21-May-20 19:51:31

We also had a Government food parcel in the early days. It was a bit random - bread but no spread, bumper sized tin of butter beans - but you certainly won’t starve!

NfkDumpling Thu 21-May-20 19:49:35

My DH is on the Government list, but Sainsbury’s say he isn’t and there seems to be no way around it. There’s probably a phone line to ring but I don’t know what it is.

However, Tesco advertise that if you ring 0800 917 7359, they will check you’re on the vulnerable list. We did this and, although to start with we had difficulty, I’ve been able to get slots more or less weekly. We stocked up so much I cancelled this weeks! They have the three week ahead slots which appear after midnight (go on line about ten minutes before to get in the queue), and last minute ones which pop up with a couple of days notice.

Liz46 Thu 21-May-20 11:42:21

I had two phone calls asking if we were ok for food. I was told to ask for the government parcel because then the supermarkets would be notified about us. Originally I did not ask as I thought my husband would be allowed to go to the supermarket but was told he is not allowed because of my lung problems.

Callistemon Thu 21-May-20 11:30:58

I have had slots offered by only one supermarket, Tesco, otherwise the system has failed totally.

We have been offered food parcels but haven't yet taken up the offer. You could phone your local council, Glenfinnan, there should be a number on your shielding letter, or your GP surgery who will be able to help.

Liz46 Thu 21-May-20 11:24:15

If you have had a shielding letter, you can apply for a government food parcel. Then you receive emails from supermarkets offering slots. We have a weekly slot from Asda until October. It is working well and we have managed to cancel the government food parcels. (When I say 'working well', I omit the bit where they left the security tag on my booze!)

Callistemon Thu 21-May-20 11:07:19

Glenfinnan despite having a shielding letter and filling in the online form with Waitrose, I have found them particularly unhelpful and useless.

We have had success with Tesco, although the only next slot I could find was in June, more than 3 weeks after our last delivery.
However, I looked again today and they have released more slots and we have one for the weekend. I didn't know that would happen so we are very relieved.

Froglady Thu 21-May-20 10:22:53

Ocada, think that's how you spell it, deliver for Waitrose at the moment but apparently they will be changing to M&S later on in the year. Don't know where that will leave Waitrose deliveries.

Kate1949 Thu 21-May-20 10:19:02

Tesco have a lot of slots on their site this morning. I agree that you have to checkout within a certain time or your slot will disappear. You can still go back in and add things. They don't take the money until you have had your delivery.

Jaycee5 Thu 21-May-20 09:53:55

I think the only advice is to try every supermarket that delivers in your area. It is tiresome and tedious but you should get one somewhere. I have found Sainsburys the best (no luck at all with Waitrose) and had one 6am delivery from Iceland. Don't just try the usual supermarkets. There are commercial firms like Brakes that are now delivering to households.
It really depends where you are as to who you have luck with so it is trial and error. It is awful that they removed the slot without warning.
You might have to try every hour including at unsociable hours and you might have to accept a slot at an inconvenient time but you should get one.
Also look online to see what organisations are volunteering to shop for people like yourselves in your area. Your local Council might be able to help.

Froglady Thu 21-May-20 09:49:36

Sorry, I misread the age of your husband.
And I meant to put that when you are relying on something, not sometime.
Must reread my post before posting.

EllanVannin Thu 21-May-20 09:48:09

There have been umpteen Iceland deliveries around my area they've been constant. In all the weeks I've only seen one Tesco and two Asda.

I heard on the news that M&S are going to do delivery trials to boost their trade. I hope it comes to fruition----soon.