Gransnet forums

AIBU

To be angry with my brother over our fathers death?

(203 Posts)
Buttonjugs Thu 21-May-20 13:10:25

My dad died on Tuesday, he had been living with me for the past three years since he was living up north and began to struggle on his own. I came to regret that decision because he lived far longer than anyone thought he would and I had given up half of my house. Some background: he wasn’t a particularly nice man, had been violent towards my mother with drink and when they divorced he threatened her with violence if she didn’t sign a form to renounce her entitlement to half the house and paid her a smaller sum of money. I have two brothers, one of them came over to take him shopping once a week, the other barely saw him despite only being about fifteen miles away. I had a horrible week as he got more poorly and had the paramedics out twice before they would take him into hospital due to Covid 19, but I could see he was dying anyway so it wouldn’t make any difference. I texted my brothers and only the one who took him shopping replied. The day after he died, the brother who had barely seen him posted a status on Facebook describing him as a wonderful father and role model. He got lots of sympathy and I was furious. He also seemed to imply that there was something odd about the death. He has tried to ring me a few times but I didn’t want to speak to him so in the end I sent a text letting him have it with both barrels about why I was so angry. Was this unreasonable?

Chewbacca Sun 24-May-20 12:28:48

Anybody know what toe-jam cheese is? And is it always served with lavender and the scent of incessant urine? confused

Daddima Sun 24-May-20 12:26:49

Goodness me, to keep an argument warm until next day takes real dedication ( and is no help to Buttonjugs)!

Jane10 Sun 24-May-20 12:18:26

gringringringringrin

Chewbacca Sun 24-May-20 12:16:19

progressive American psychology

Ah! Now it makes sense! grin

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 12:14:03

I've a question: How many of you have ever heard a eulogy that wasn't true? And after it was presented, did you ever get angry about it, enough to approach that person and tell them that what they said was a lie?

rosecarmel Sun 24-May-20 11:57:32

Ah .. Grandmafrench, I'd take progressive American psychology over toe-jam cheese, lavender and the incessant scent of urine any given day of the week ..

jenpax Sun 24-May-20 11:22:51

Aren’t families complicated and relationships within them fraught with pit falls !
OP I am glad to hear things are improving with your brother and I hope you all resolve things in time.
I have been surprised at how vitriol has crept into this thread when all the OP did was ask for a little support!

Grandmafrench Sun 24-May-20 09:24:36

Vulnerable lost sheep overdosing on cod psychology from weird American websites can make them very strange (and intractable, deaf and insensitive). However, as long as most of you have helped buttonjugs, it has to be a positive result.

Jane10 Sun 24-May-20 09:01:31

It's OK everybody. She just doesn't get it poor soul.

Smileless2012 Sun 24-May-20 08:55:56

I agree tickingbird. Neither term is applicable to the OP and as for scapegoating, it is the OP herself who has been used as a scapegoat from some on this thread to excuse her brother's behaviour.

tickingbird Sun 24-May-20 08:34:24

More amateur psychology. What codswallop.

HolyHannah Sun 24-May-20 05:22:16

rosecarmel -- Let's be real. The reason that so many see nothing wrong with OP's behavior is very simple. She is the 'good child' for having looked after her aging parent, the dream of many parents and more so those that are abusive and know they don't deserve it.

OP's brother is a "lesser" because he was a 'bad child' for not fulfilling his 'obligation' to his father. OP's questionable behavior is swept under the rug/minimized while brother's actions were magnified -- because that's how dysfunction works.

The Golden/'good' child can say or do whatever because of their elevated status and the mere idea of equality, like a mutual apology in this case, is a laughable and unnecessary action according to most here. OP is 100% 'right'... Brother is a Narc and is 'wrong'. No chance for wrong on both sides? "No." say many and 'popular vote' is what matters... Equality is for "lessers" -- In other words, to abusers, "Of course You are 'equal'. You are equal to all the other people I deem not as 'good' as Me."

Both 'children' can behave the same way but one gets a "pass" and the other is vilified. It's called Scapegoating and usually only goats see it. Abusers and enablers are so busy engaging in their dysfunctional patterns to see 'it'... It's their "normal".

rosecarmel Sat 23-May-20 23:19:16

Jane10, The Three Faces of Eve?

Jane10 Sat 23-May-20 21:37:07

rosecarmel gringringrin

rosecarmel Sat 23-May-20 21:29:21

Smileless, the OP wasn't just upset about the FB post and said so- She was bitter with her brother prior to the posting- She told others how useless he was and then came here telling us how useless he was- She too was looking for sympathy and received it-

She found another opportunity to bad mouth her brother and took it- That sounds like a pattern to me-

For all we know know he could have bent over backwards on the days he was "barely" there- But once more, he wasn't good enough-

Mistyfluff8 Sat 23-May-20 21:02:42

I looked after my mother in our house for 3 years (she went to daycare)so I could work full time with2children at school .My brother and family never offered to have her once .Eventually she had to go int a home as she became violent due to Dementia .When it came to the funeral he took over wasted loads of money as she was 96 and had been in the home for years so very few people came She would have been horrified .

Smileless2012 Sat 23-May-20 19:41:54

Chewbacca smile

A discussion involves the exchange of views and opinions rosecarmel. Posting on FB about the death of a father you had nothing to do with, and describing him as wonderful and a role model is looking for sympathy.

Presumably if the OP's brother's FB 'friends' knew him and his father's past, they'd have been as shocked at his FB post as she was.

No matter. He has apologised and that lays a positive foundation for his future relationship with his sister.

I wish you and your brothers well Buttonjugsflowers.

rosecarmel Sat 23-May-20 18:50:27

Now she's trying to hit the mute button on you hahaha .. Good luck with that, Chewbacca!

rosecarmel Sat 23-May-20 18:48:47

Smileless, the OP discussed how she felt with others she knew and that's acceptable for her- But it's not acceptable for her brother-

It's one of the points continually being swept under the rug-
As usual!

Chewbacca Sat 23-May-20 18:38:22

Best not to feed 'em Smileless wink

Smileless2012 Sat 23-May-20 18:35:40

Oh I see, so when any of us are upset by the actions of for example a family member, and discuss it with friends and/or other family members we're gossiping, talking that person down and going behind their back!!

The last line in the OP "Was this unreasonable?" Buttonjugs was asking for our opinion, did we think her behaviour was unreasonable and it appears that the majority of those who've responded don't think it was.

Your ability to read the mind of someone you've never even met is truly remarkable rosecarmel. To know that the OP came here only to "seek agreement from like minded individuals".

I agree that there are some dysfunctional thought processes on this thread, but they're not coming from the OP or those in agreement with her.

rosecarmel Sat 23-May-20 18:30:59

Oh, yes, I guess you can call it a virtual joy-ride to watch the majority navigate "around" the points others as well as myself have raised-

Yep, ignore them altogether, as though there was no mention of these actions made by the OP in her own words, right there in black and white or whatever colors ..

tickingbird Sat 23-May-20 18:08:58

rosecarmel Labelling the OP dysfunctional now!!! These posts make for fascinating reading.

Hithere Sat 23-May-20 17:52:19

May I ask what point is rosecarmel missing?
I think I am missing it too

Jane10 Sat 23-May-20 17:43:06

rosecarmel. Do you read the posts of others? You seem to blindly miss the point over and over again. Maybe you're getting something out of it?
It can only be a very cheap thrill.