Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU for thinking this a little over the top?

(43 Posts)
ExD Fri 22-May-20 18:15:12

Advice for newly-weds from a magazine from 1949 (I'd have been around 10 years old) and my Mum had two of us to look after at the time ....

Namsnanny Sat 23-May-20 16:33:51

I remember my Mum putting her hair in rollers the minute Dad left for work, then brushing out and putting on a clean dress just before he returned.
We also had to clear away our toys so the house was tidy for him.

He also had better food than us.
Well the thinking of the day was, he was the breadwinner, so I kind of understood why.

I did get huffy when my brothers had better dibs on food 'because they are boys' !!!

But Mum put herself last after us girls, in most things.

The division of labour was more controlled then. With a high proportion of men in hard labouring jobs.
My father wasn't, but he did work long hours.

Also men did do lots of domestic jobs around the house. My father (until we were older) always polished our shoes every week.
Obviously anything to do with maintenance or repair fell to him, plus the heavier jobs in the garden.

Mum took great delight in telling us he never changed a nappy in his life.
Honestly, I don't think it matters so long as the couple themselves are happy how they divide the chores.

Namsnanny Sat 23-May-20 16:34:54

Sorry I realise I've derailed the thread away from sewing somewhat!

paddyanne Sat 23-May-20 19:43:18

NamsnannyWe tend to have a 1950's style marriage,its suits us .we each do the jobs we want to ,he doesn't cook .I dont climb ladders with a chain saw.I put my face on when I get up ,thats a self esteem thing and I prefer to be reasonably well dressed even in lockdown .I dont own pyjamas so I dont "lounge" in sloppy clothes
.He always worked longer hours than me so i did as much as I could before he came home ,simply so we got some time together .Now I see my son come home after a really long day and he has to make the dinner or put on a washing while his partner is "exhausted" from looking after a baby all day??

Different times of course but when my OH comes in I like him to be able to relax I dont think thats a bad thing its what you do when you love someone surely?

ExD Sat 23-May-20 21:04:08

Paddyanne I see the same thing in my family. My husband is a farmer who works 24/7 every day of the year, so he does nothing in the house - at all - and I'm happy with that.
But when I see my son coming home and cooking as well as preparing a meal it seems shocking, especially as his wife doesn't work outside the home.
But I don't change into a nice dress and put on makeup in order to sew.
Do you think its OK for me to keep wearing my comfy slippers or should I wear my high heels?
Gawd - I'll have to shave my legs in the winter!

ps - what's the French chalk for?

Bathsheba Sat 23-May-20 21:11:09

Do the urgent household chores first, so you can enjoy the sewing? What? I shut myself in my sewing room to avoid the household chores grin

Callistemon Sat 23-May-20 22:31:26

I think French chalk is for marking where you want to put darts etc, when you're sewing, ExD, it's not to put on your face grin

paddyanne Sun 24-May-20 01:21:40

ExD I dont sew ,maybe a button if I have to.My mother was a seamstress (she had to work during WW11 ) Her father was a tailor ,he took her tp work with him.She always said she could do any sewing jobs quicker and better than us so we only learned very basic stuff..sewing machines are my idea of a nightmare

Witzend Sun 24-May-20 09:15:41

Those 50s marriage tips are hilarious!

One definitely not funny one I read in an American magazine years ago, said that if breast-feeding made your husband jealous (?) you should give it up and bottle feed instead!
What sort of pathetic apology for a man could be jealous of a tiny baby having its proper food???

Callistemon Sun 24-May-20 09:36:33

shock
That is truly terrible Witzend!

lovebeigecardigans1955 Sun 24-May-20 09:55:33

Blimey - disapproval all round for sitting at the sewing machine this morning in my dressing gown as the bed's not made and I'm certainly unwashed.

So that's the reason why I'm having trouble with the shoulders of the summer dress I'm making which is causing much chuntering.

Callistemon Sun 24-May-20 09:57:34

Yes, lovebeigecardigans, go and get your chores done and have a shower, get dressed and all will go well!
Your sewing will be perfect
wink

trisher Sun 24-May-20 11:01:18

Well now I know where I went wrong, if only someone had told me! It's too late now. A lifetime of bad habits. I seem to remember in the 60s most of my sewing was done on a Saturday during the day, so I had something to wear that evening.

Rufus2 Mon 25-May-20 10:23:43

if breast-feeding made your husband jealous (?) you should give it up and bottle feed instead
Witzend You could offer him a sip! It might remind him of his mother and put him off for life! hmm
OoRoo

Elegran Mon 25-May-20 10:38:27

Better advice came from my grandmother. Long before grandfather came home from work, she would set the table ready for the meal and fill the kettle. He would return to a kitchen full of steam and assume that she had been slaving all day over a hot stove.

Elegran Mon 25-May-20 10:40:19

Witzend - The kind of man who started life jealous of everyone else his mother paid any attention to, and was never weaned of that infantile instinct.

Rufus2 Mon 25-May-20 14:28:30

Elegran Please Miss! It seemed like you were preparing to deliver a lecture on the "Oedipus Complex" which at this late hour (here) would be too complex even for me! hmm
To show how desperate times are, I'm studying the "Book of Kells" again, but with no Celtic ancestors to lean on, it's hard going to say the least. grin
Kells today, Oedipus tomorrow, perhaps!
Good Health
OoRoo

Witzend Tue 26-May-20 08:32:59

Good job it didn’t mention knitting! More than once lately I’ve been sitting at the dining table in my dressing gown at 11 am, un-showered, either knitting or sewing up a mini snowman or Father Christmas’s hat.