Gransnet forums

AIBU

Watch what you want but..............

(107 Posts)
Trisha57 Sun 24-May-20 21:28:56

OH just said to me "Watch what you want to watch on TV". We had just watched bloody Antiques Roadshow, which quite honestly bores me silly, but OH likes it. I flicked through a few things and said "Oh, I would like to watch Sewing Bee", to which he replied "Oh God!!!". Now he wonders why I have told him to watch whatever else he wants. He can't find anything that he likes, but still doesn't want to watch Sewing Bee. AIBU to tell him to not ask me what I want to watch if he would rather watch something that he doesn't really enjoy rather than me watch something I would enjoy? Sorry for the convoluted language, but I am fuming and he has now stormed off to bed!!!

seacliff Mon 25-May-20 14:30:19

We don't go out for expensive meals/trips much, or even drink much. One of our regular leisure activities at home is watching TV. Not every night, may be only one programme some times, just depends.

So we have chosen to pay for a 2nd TV, for us it is totally worth the extra cost. A second hand TV can be very reasonable, I am happy with a smaller screen. I just love the freedom of watching what I want, and when. I would hate to go back to the old way, especially when I read some of your posts.

It's a bit like when people sometimes sleep in separate bedrooms, often due to snoring etc. The freedom to have your own space. Not for everyone of course.

Elegran Mon 25-May-20 14:13:12

A second controller is cheaper than a second TV.

Greciangirl Mon 25-May-20 14:04:50

Sounds like lockdown lunacy to me.

willa45 Mon 25-May-20 13:38:42

Travelsafar, does he continue to talk over the narrator about something he noticed in the background and then you miss that all important piece of news? ....and while we're on the topic, is anyone else tired of watching movies that either have to do with car chases, war (inter-galactic or otherwise), martial arts and/or Cowboys and Indians? Yep, that's my guy, but I wouldn't trade him for anything.

JaneRn Mon 25-May-20 13:01:54

Sorry, but I think grabbing the remote, switching channels, and generally ruining anything you are trying to watch goes beyond disagreements and is plain bad manners. If you feel the only solution, apart from telling your husband that he is very rude, is to get another TV for which he pays and make sure it is top of the range and in a room where it is comfortable for you to sit. You certainly should not be expected to sit in the kitchen!

Mealybug Mon 25-May-20 12:55:36

OH would watch football all day (I like football too) or westerns etc so when I wanted to watch something I just used to take the remote after his last programme had ended and tell him he had his choice all day and it was my turn. Then I would just sit down and watch my own programme.

Elegran Mon 25-May-20 12:41:59

All this advice to "get another TV" is a really first-world solution! Reminds me of advice from a rich friend when I mentioned (I wasn't even complaining, just mentioning!) that I usually transported the shopping home in the baby's pram (with two pre-schoolers walking alongside,) because DH needed the car for work. "Oh you should get a second car!" she said brightly, but she didn't suggest how we would pay for it, or where we would keep it.

Hellsbelles Mon 25-May-20 12:35:56

' We ' watch an awful amount from the Quest channel ( doing up of old cars and bikes, and programmes of building lodges in Alaska ! )
Having said that he also watches Sewing Bee with me grin

grandtanteJE65 Mon 25-May-20 12:22:47

Well, my DH if he gets tired of a programme will just switch channels. He never asks if I want to see the one he switches from.

I put up with this, having decided that life is to short for quarrelling over TV, but sometimes I do wonder if I should just have my own set.

Theoddbird Mon 25-May-20 12:01:06

Oh for goodness sake. Have two tv's...end of. There are more important things in life than an argument over what to watch on tv....

Mollyplop Mon 25-May-20 12:00:13

We haven't had tv since we met 21 years ago. Problem solved!

Aepgirl Mon 25-May-20 11:53:21

Lucky you all who have a husband - irritating or not.

rockgran Mon 25-May-20 11:52:16

Separate TVs! We watch a few quiz programmes together but agree to do our own thing otherwise. Can't be doing with too much togetherness - we need space!

Katyj Mon 25-May-20 11:51:15

Same as Chardy tablet and headphones then at least you can stay in the same room. ?

Joesoap Mon 25-May-20 11:49:21

Mine is the same, I have to admit I usually stream good programmes from the UK, we may look at some things together, Husband regularly watches any rubbish on the tv, then as he is about to go to bed he says "now you can watch what you want" very condescendingly.The programme I then watch at 11:30 our time (not UK) is SKY news to see what has happened in the UK,then off to bed.Thank goodness I watch my streamed channels on my desk computer.What is the matter with these arrogant men?

inishowen Mon 25-May-20 11:49:02

My husband hates most of my programmes but happily watches TV after I've gone to bed. We had a big fall out on Friday. He decided to Hoover the car and was furious the bag was full! He only hoovers about once a year, and only his car. He said the bag was ALWAYS full. I was furious and told him to stick it up his *. We didn't speak for 24 hours. To be honest we needed a row. It didn't matter what caused it.

Noreen3 Mon 25-May-20 11:46:30

I agree with you pat9,it would be nice to have a husband to watch tv with.I was lucky that my husband and myself didn't fall out over the tv,but I'm sure there must be an answer,have a tv in another room,have the means to record programmes while watching another channel,just try to enjoy your time together,it doesn't last forever.

3141650raf Mon 25-May-20 11:46:07

Good morning all from the wonderful Fylde Coast and its glorious weather. Just recovering from a fall which made me decide to take up residence in our local wonderful hospital for a while. Now on the mend and enjoying our lovely blue sea. Good wishes to all.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 25-May-20 11:23:57

I have a laptop (iPlayer) and wireless headphones + Netflix smile

DH has TV and his headphones + iPlayer (Humax) so he's happy now he knows how to uses it.

We watch our local news together and the odd film late at night, Last one was Educating Rita. DH had never seen it.

Trisha57 Mon 25-May-20 11:17:58

Thank you all. We do have small, older TVs in the bedroom and kitchen, but they only show "live" programmes and sometimes (in fact most of the time) we watch on "catch up" on the main TV. Perhaps I could ask for "catch up" on a new TV in the bedroom!!

Daftbag1 Mon 25-May-20 11:17:10

Welcome to my world! Hubby classes anything I want to watch as rubbish, meanwhile it's Poirot, and Morse or war documentaries. If I insist he goes up to bed in a sulk which I ignore!!!

JanetWestYorks Mon 25-May-20 11:13:41

Sewing Bee is the only programme I really want to watch in real time (as normally record everything) and so glad it follows Repair Shop which is hubby’s favourite. I’m not really bothered about tv, would prefer to read or sew but my Wednesday evening is non negotiable ?

4allweknow Mon 25-May-20 11:11:12

I am often asked what I would prefer to watch from the screen menu. I offer my choice then find I am watching something completely different. I have given up trying to obtain an explanation for why that is. Often I get hold of the controller and I do the asking then select the programme I want to watch. Good for the goose..........

LJP1 Mon 25-May-20 11:09:27

Covid19 is getting to everyone and many 'adults' need to leave tantrums in childhood.

Can you both find something more worthwhile to do?

HAZBEEN Mon 25-May-20 10:59:13

I told this story a while ago on another thread but its still relevant. My OH would come in the room pick up the remote as he has to have control of it then proceed to change channels without asking if I was watching that programme. Then continue to click round the channels looking for something else. He too would fall asleep with the controller in his hand and whoa betide anybody trying to get to it. Well I got a second controller and hid it down the side of my chair. When he changed the channel I changed it back! He couldnt work out how that was happening! Then when he fell asleep I still could use the remote. I then started changing the channel when he was watching something, when he complained I said how do you like it! He now is much more aware and asks me first.