Gransnet forums

AIBU

Holidays 2020 where are you going?

(112 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Mon 25-May-20 10:34:59

Who’s going on holiday this year my DH booked a steam train holiday early on this year for Sept/ Oct we’re travelling to the the north of Scotland for three nights here’s hoping it’ll go ahead and in my daily improvements that I’ll no longer need a wheelchair. The weather is going well so far fingers crossed ? it keeps good.

WOODMOUSE49 Mon 01-Jun-20 17:55:37

Lots of mentions of Cornwall.
New report, out 2 days ago, shows South West has a R rate of 0.9 highest in the UK.

So while the South West has the lowest number of cases, it's infection rate is now the highest in the country.

The government is keeping a close eye on R as it reviews lockdown. If it goes above one, the epidemic will grow.

etheltbags1 Mon 01-Jun-20 17:50:19

Our holiday cottage was cancelled but rebooted for next year so just staying home this year

BlueSky Mon 01-Jun-20 13:42:12

Airlines are putting safety measures in place, same with hotels so there is still hope we could even still travel abroad this year! smile

Puzzler61 Mon 01-Jun-20 07:12:41

Any day now our cottage holiday in Cornwall will be cancelled but we’ve booked a hotel in September (also Cornwall) and will see how that pans out closer to the time, it can be cancelled if needs be.
Cornwall is calling me, it’s such a fantastic place- but we’ll only go if/when we feel safe too. The sad number of Covid deaths will need to be a lot lower before we’ll commit.

skunkhair63 Mon 01-Jun-20 06:58:53

We were supposed to be visiting Gozo 2 weeks ago. After seeing how unsupportive our Government were to many folk already away, when Lockdown happened, we're in no hurry to re-book!

timetogo2016 Sun 31-May-20 10:51:37

As soon as lockdown is lifted Dh and i are off to our static in Brean for as long as possible.

gillybob Sun 31-May-20 10:37:33

My holiday plans remain exactly as they were . wink

trisher Sun 31-May-20 10:32:56

Haven't booked anything and not planning to. Most people seem to think there will be a second spike the only question being when. If there is a vaccine I might travel in UK late rin the year.

jeanie99 Sun 31-May-20 09:39:32

We have a cruise booked for the 4th July for 21 days, we expect the cruise to be cancelled, and a family holiday in August for a week down south.

It's a large barn conversation and for 6 adults and our four grandchildren so I am still hoping this will be ok to go.

This year was our 50th anniversary year and all my well made plans have come to nothing.

FoghornLeghorn Fri 29-May-20 22:44:18

I’ve rebooked my two cancelled trips so hotel in north Norfolk at the end of July and hotel in Cornwall in September. Now keeping my fingers crossed that they’re open in time.

SusieB50 Wed 27-May-20 09:49:42

Easter Portugal cancelled .
I have a week in Cornwall with my sister and family mid July in a remote holiday cottage , hoping it MAY happen .
Late August 4 nights in Norfolk with DS and DD and all their families in a holiday house surely by then we will be able to go . I had planned tentatively to visit my cousins in Cape Town in November . My late DH would never fly so I thought that it might be a positive thing to do . Certainly not now ...

Redhead56 Wed 27-May-20 09:12:04

Booked a cottage on Anglesey for May changed it to September. Booked a touring trip to Southern Ireland October but who knows unsure about anything now.

travelsafar Wed 27-May-20 09:06:15

I am not planning on going anyway this year. I f i decide later in the year to do something it will defo be in the UK dont fancy flying anywhere just yet.

Rosiebee Wed 27-May-20 09:01:17

We should have been in Canada for nearly three weeks in May. My diary had the names of all the different places we'd have been on each day. It was a relief last week when I read that we'd arrived back home. Had a full refund but not planning anything else. Canada had been booked and anticipated nearly a year ahead. Our next holiday is likely to be on a book it one day and go the next scenario. But I can't see it happening this year.

Witzend Wed 27-May-20 07:11:12

For once we had nothing booked before all this kicked off. I feel very old and boring saying it, since when younger I often suffered from yearning wanderlust, but I haven’t missed going away at all. Last year we seemed to be away almost non stop.

The only place we might be going later if poss is a BiL’s place in France, where we usually go at least once a year anyway. But we drive via the tunnel. I don’t think I’d want to go anywhere near a plane or an airport for quite a while yet.

Dh is anxious to go and visit an older friend in India, but that’s obvs. not going to happen for quite a while yet.

Grammaretto Wed 27-May-20 06:11:02

We have enjoyed our own garden more than ever before without any of the usual pressures.
In other years we would be rushing about organising a house sitter, for our annual holiday but once the initial disappointment has gone, the lockdown has been the most relaxing, healing time.

mumofmadboys Wed 27-May-20 06:00:33

We are due to walk the West Highland Way in September. Still hoping this will go ahead.

Hawera1 Wed 27-May-20 03:25:10

I live in New Zealand. We will just be doing road trip holidays. Our first one will be to fabulous Queenstown in Otago. Google it as it is stunning. There won't be any more overseas holidays till our border opens and we are confident the risks are over. I think it's important for us to spend money here to.help our economy recover. Our tourist operators are in real financial trouble here as are hotels. Businesses are closing everyday. It's very sad to see this happening with loss of jobs. Shops that were the earliest to open in New Zealand are going under. Sad to see that history of our forefathers being lost.

grannyactivist Wed 27-May-20 00:47:50

My lovely husband, even as a type, is spending a third night away from home (not consecutive)...............in our allotment shed! shock

He absolutely relishes adventures and by now, if the coronavirus had not interrupted his plans, he would have been making his way home from a three week, wild-camping, solo cycling tour of Europe. In lieu of that he's creating his own mini adventures, hence the shed. I think he may invite me to holiday with him there at some point in the future. hmm

Flygirl Tue 26-May-20 23:29:03

Well I am torn between losing my health and losing my job. Working for a holiday airline, things have to improve pretty sharpish, or I won't have a job to go back to, nor will I be able to afford any of my own holidays in the future.

MawB Tue 26-May-20 22:44:46

We all need a change of scene. So I might try the double spare room for a long weekend and if that works out the “little” spare next, except Hattie has taken to sneaking up there.
Oh well that leaves her dog bed free I suppose. ??

misty34 Tue 26-May-20 22:40:20

I just want to go to my caravan, no problem staying 2m apart, all self contained so very safe. There are no amenities on site such as social clubs etc so social distancing is easy.
No such luck yet though not even a mention from Boris. Aw well I can live in hope

GreenGran78 Tue 26-May-20 22:23:42

I’m torn two ways. My instincts are to jump on the first available plane - Emirates are re-starting flights to Australia very soon. My little grandson was born two weeks ago, without me being there as planned. I’m desperate to give him a cuddle.
My ‘sensible head’ tells me to wait until next year. Decisions, decisions!
I haven’t even had the refund for my cancelled flight yet. Just several emails urging me to be patient!

bikergran Tue 26-May-20 22:21:35

Simple pleasures for me, a couple of nights in Llandudno if not then maybe Lytham St Annes.

Or....I may even try solo camping, Whitby/Scarbourough if permitted(and I can get in)

Seefah Tue 26-May-20 21:51:14

We will drive to Croatia late June. Travel by car, no hotels, straight to house, isolate, go swim in Adriatic, and wait for the figs ! I’ve been in a city doing lockdown and decided I hate cities. I’m desperate for nature !!!