Gransnet forums


Holidays 2020 where are you going?

(111 Posts)
Elizabeth1 Mon 25-May-20 10:34:59

Who’s going on holiday this year my DH booked a steam train holiday early on this year for Sept/ Oct we’re travelling to the the north of Scotland for three nights here’s hoping it’ll go ahead and in my daily improvements that I’ll no longer need a wheelchair. The weather is going well so far fingers crossed 🤞 it keeps good.

Oopsadaisy3 Mon 25-May-20 10:39:55

DH is thinking of hiring a motor home so that we can park in the lay-by next to daughters house in Cornwall.
I’ll believe it when I see it as he has always hated the thought of one.
The roads and traffic will be horrendous, but he wants to try one out before buying as we think that for most of our holidays in the future we won’t be flying anywhere.

Brunette10 Mon 25-May-20 10:43:44

Cruise cancelled but we had decided not to go anyway. Not sure if we will go anywhere this year. Still feel unsettled a bit to do that.

Jane10 Mon 25-May-20 11:02:31

Our cruise is cancelled too. I wouldn't want to fly this year but would like a break away from home. Maybe to some nice hotel in the UK. Not sure where. (I love hotel breakfasts!)

Brunette10 Mon 25-May-20 11:11:05

Me too Jane10. Hotel breakfasts are just so much tastier than I can cook grin. We may spoil ourselves and go somewhere luxurious not too far away and treat ourselves. Sounds good I think.

Teetime Mon 25-May-20 12:21:35

We booked a cottage in September Kirby Lonsdale earlier this year - not sure if we will be allowed to go.

MiniMoon Mon 25-May-20 13:01:17


Cancelled New York trip which was booked for December. If Covid-19 is back in the Autumn I dont want to risk it.

sodapop Mon 25-May-20 19:18:18

Apparently sales of motor homes are way up. People are seeing them as a safer holiday option.

silverlining48 Mon 25-May-20 19:43:05

Sadly no plans for this year...or next! !

Whitewavemark2 Mon 25-May-20 19:53:51

Sardinia and Corsica. Postponed now until next year.

Cottage in North Devon in July - hopeful.

Cottage in Cotswolds September - hopeful.

Holding fire on anything else.

What I do think is that it will be extremely difficult to book in the U.K. as there will be a big increase in demand.

Hetty58 Mon 25-May-20 20:05:49

Holiday 2020? A bit optimistic? What about the second wave?

Niobe Mon 25-May-20 20:22:22

Exactly Hetty58! If there is a second wave of the virus I want to be at home.
We had talked about having a holiday in SEAsia but I think I can live the rest of my life just fine without seeing Cambodia, Laos or Vietnam! Might treat ourselves to something really nice for the house and garden instead.

JuliaM Mon 25-May-20 20:25:01

We may be Lucky and get to go up to North Yorkshire in our Caravan in the Autumn, but its still looking rather doubtful as no sites are open yet, and DH had a minor eye operation cancelled at last min due to lockdown, so we are now unsure when he will get called back, and obviously we dont want to miss it for a second time.
For those considering hiring a Motorhome, please read the small print very carefully before booking, some stipulate the Site network where overnights are to be taken, and 'Wildcamping' overnight in Lay-bys is not allowed due to security issues.

Liz46 Mon 25-May-20 20:34:14

MiniMoon, did you lose your deposit?

We have booked to go back to India in December but I am on the extremely vulnerable list and we feel we shouldn't go. We have only paid a small deposit so far and should have paid the rest of the deposit on April 4th but we didn't.

Sardinia2020 Mon 25-May-20 20:44:42

Should have been going to Verona in a fortnight but obv this isn't happening. Then next trip is to Corfu mid September. Will this be on? Not sure but think we will go if allowed. Most scary bit will be the flight. What would others do?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 25-May-20 20:49:58

If there is a second wave won’t go anywhere, but can live in hope

Callistemon Mon 25-May-20 21:04:41

Barnard Castle

My interest has been piqued

Jane10 Mon 25-May-20 22:33:10

Callistemon grin

crossstitchgill Mon 25-May-20 22:56:00

We were supposed to be in Italy at the moment but that was obviously cancelled and rebooked for 2021.. We have planned a holiday in France for end of June/beginning of July but we will probably have to put that on hold. We were going to a week long Folk Festival in August but that has been cancelled. Our U3A trip to Buxton at the end of Sept has been put off until 2021. We are hoping that we might get to Barbados towards the end of November but who knows if that will happen. We've got the chance of a couple of days in Suffolk towards the end of August so will just have to wait and see! Our usual busy year of trips has been cancelled.

newnanny Tue 26-May-20 02:53:08

We are not going to Europe this summer. If we go on holiday it will be in the UK.

I think that if we holiday in UK we will be kick starting our economy. More eco-friendly too.

Nansnet Tue 26-May-20 06:42:10

Several months ago, we managed to book a great deal on some long-haul business class flights, from where we live in Asia, to Madrid. Supposed to be going early September, spending a few nights in Madrid, visiting friends, then flying further south and travelling around Andalusia. No idea what the situation will be like by then, but I think we've both decided we'd rather postpone it until things are more settled. We'll no doubt lose money, but we'd not rather not take any risks.

Hetty58 Tue 26-May-20 06:49:16

Any holiday, whether for adventure or rest and relaxation, just won't be the same with the constant worry of possible infection. Being ill is bad enough, far from home - and unable to get back - a whole lot worse.

Calendargirl Tue 26-May-20 06:50:40

No plans for anywhere this year.

East, West, Home’s Still Best (for the foreseeable future).

J52 Tue 26-May-20 07:45:15

To my second home, if I’m allowed, I might make my own judgement on that.
Strangely, it does involve going past the town of Barnard Castle, but we won’t be stopping off this time.

Lovely tea shops for another day.

TerriBull Tue 26-May-20 07:45:43

March Seville cancelled
April a night in a hotel Sussex cancelled
May a week in Dorset timeshare cancelled due to their temporary closure
June 3 nights in Bath hotel most likely to be cancelled
July 3 nights in Sussex hotel most likely to be cancelled
September Portugal probably will cancel as there is a flight involved