Gransnet forums

AIBU

about wearing face masks/coverings

(189 Posts)
ExD Tue 09-Jun-20 14:14:23

I went to our local post office to return a parcel and was the only one there wearing a mask.
Its a tiny shop and can only accommodate 3 people at a time and everyone was standing 6ft apart, but I felt a bit foolish in my mask. In fact I stood there feeling a real plonker.
Was I right in continuing to wear it, or should I have followed the others and defied the virus? What would you have done?
(I am 81 but in good health)

Callistemon Wed 10-Jun-20 19:25:10

I made a couple this afternoon - as Vaughan Gething has advised that they should have three layers, that is what I did.

Now I need a glass of wine
Who would think something so small and simple would be so difficult? Or perhaps it is me because I haven't done a lot of sewing for quite some time.

I used this pattern if anyone is interested - it fits well without the need for stiffeners.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tM3d-nitDI

Willow500 Wed 10-Jun-20 18:46:53

I've just been to BM Stores this afternoon and decided to wear one of the home made masks I'd done but as with the paper ones I tried last week it interfered with my vision even though they were both below my eyes and the nose wire was secure. I wear hard contact lenses so anything near my eyes seems to disturb them. My vision is poor to start with so I'm not sure how to cope with a mask now confused I only saw one other lade in a mask and two young girls (although one had pulled hers down under her chin next time I saw her!).

maddyone Wed 10-Jun-20 18:42:12

I wore my home made mask when I made my first visit to Lidl last week. My husband went with me and he wore his. A few people were wearing masks, but not that many. I regard it as the responsible thing to do. It protects other people, and I find it difficult to accept that it doesn’t offer any level of protection to myself. I realise it doesn’t offer full protection, but it surely must offer some protection.

Naty Wed 10-Jun-20 17:41:07

Continue to wear a mask, OP!

CBBL Wed 10-Jun-20 16:59:20

I wore a mask when taking my cat to the Vet. The Vets wore them too, when taking the pet into and out of the building (Owners have to wait outside, in their cars). Yes, some people give you "funny looks" - but don't let it bother you! You are doing the right thing - others are not.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:26:38

Lots of people are wearing masks around here.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 10-Jun-20 16:25:45

I went to the chiropodist today. It was the first time that I had been into a shop building of any sort. I wore a mask for the first time and realised after I had entered the building that I had it on upside down! I couldn’t take it off to change it so that was that failure! It was unpleasant wearing it as well.

EmilyHarburn Wed 10-Jun-20 16:22:07

I visited Boots Chemist wearing a mask and felt fine and hoped it showed the other hhoppers that I was trying to be responsible. I also had my eyes lasered yesterday at the community optical health and was asked to wear a mask.

Txquiltz Wed 10-Jun-20 16:18:22

We are being told to continue wearing masks. Seems like a minor inconvenience for possible personal gain. The other day a man shook his head when he saw my mask. I simply said, "I wear it for you ". He blushed and walked away. I might add he was the only person I saw without a mask.

Blinko Wed 10-Jun-20 16:13:54

However I feel pretty hacked off at the staff in Tesco who were sniggering about it -

Shop staff should not be sniggering. They should be wearing masks! I would be inclined to complain to the shop management and point out exactly that.

ChrisK Wed 10-Jun-20 16:11:53

I think each person should do what feels right for them and what makes one feel safe, personally I don't and have not felt vulnerable.

Furret Wed 10-Jun-20 16:07:10

Gloves are not ‘proven to make the spread worse’.

JadeOlivia Wed 10-Jun-20 16:02:34

Definitely wear it ....anything that protects us is worth doing. If the others did the same we might end lockdown ....they are the ones thzt should be feeling like plonkers.

Happygirl79 Wed 10-Jun-20 15:56:38

Yes I wear one when shopping at the supermarket. The main reason I do so is to remind others to stay socially distant from me
If everyone wore them we would be more aware of not getting to close to one another perhaps?

Elizabeth1 Wed 10-Jun-20 15:04:44

My DH did look a plonker with a large black face mask on his golfing hat and blue rubber gloves going into a small shop but better to be safe than sorry. He said to the shopkeeper who he’s familiar with where’s the money ? winkthey just said Hya they knew perfectly well who he was no offence was taken. Keep wearing ppe look after yourself everyone be safe

BlackSheep46 Wed 10-Jun-20 14:41:11

Stick with wearing your mask ! You're setting good example. what others do sup to them but you're doing what is right - protecting yourself and protecting others around you - what's wrong with that !

alltheglitterglue Wed 10-Jun-20 14:39:08

Do what you feel comfortable doing.

Yesterday DH and I went over to the mask side. We’ve bought them and we will wear them when we go out. For me it was hearing that they must be worn on public transport made me think that I should think about wearing one.

Eloethan Wed 10-Jun-20 14:23:28

I haven't been wearing a mask (though, of course, will have to do when using public transport - I haven't used public transport for some weeks now).

You shouldn't feel "a plonker". In my area of London many people are wearing masks. People are entitled to do what makes them feel safe.

I don't really understand the logic, though, of a mask not being that effective in keeping oneself safe but being effective in protecting others.

JaneRn Wed 10-Jun-20 14:17:50

I recently saw photos of Nancy Pelossi who is Speaker in one of the USA houses of government, wearing masks made to co-ordinate with whatever she is wearing! Is this the latest fashion statement?

Pat123 Wed 10-Jun-20 14:15:43

I always wear a mask on public transport, when I visit a pharmacy and hospital and in shops. If it had been mandatory for everyone to wear masks 3 months ago, as in most other European countries, infection rates would be lower

Vivian123 Wed 10-Jun-20 14:02:15

PamelaJ1
Have you thought of taking the elastic out of an old pair of knickers?

Buddleja Wed 10-Jun-20 13:57:30

Every time we wear a mask we are helping to change the culture so that everyone feels more comfortable wearing masks. That makes it worth doing even in situations where it is not strictly necessary.

HannahLoisLuke Wed 10-Jun-20 13:50:47

Before lockdown I went to the local fish and chip shop wearing a mask and gloves and the woman behind the counter said something about it all being a lot of fuss about nothing. A week later the shop had to close, along with everything else in the country!
Since lockdown I've only been out to keep an eye clinic appointment, I wore a mask and gloves to that too.
I think that once I am allowed out I shall continue to wear them, in fact it might well become a permanent thing for me, and dint care what others think.
I wish it was mandatory for everyone when out in public places, might halt the spread of this horrible virus.

Jjebe Wed 10-Jun-20 13:49:26

I think you were very wise - you might have felt veet vulnerable if you hadn’t and wearing masks seems to be the way forward in controlling this virus along with hand washing

minxie Wed 10-Jun-20 13:36:15

Gloves have been proven to make the spread worse.
Surely people know that by now