Gransnet forums

AIBU

about wearing face masks/coverings

(189 Posts)
ExD Tue 09-Jun-20 14:14:23

I went to our local post office to return a parcel and was the only one there wearing a mask.
Its a tiny shop and can only accommodate 3 people at a time and everyone was standing 6ft apart, but I felt a bit foolish in my mask. In fact I stood there feeling a real plonker.
Was I right in continuing to wear it, or should I have followed the others and defied the virus? What would you have done?
(I am 81 but in good health)

Furret Mon 15-Jun-20 10:50:19

The whole point is...

My mask protects you. Your mask protects me.

That being the science behind it, aren't some people being a tad selfish?

Evie64 Sun 14-Jun-20 20:36:12

If I'm the only person in the shop, I just socially distance from the counter when paying, If there are other people in the shop, then I definitely put a mask on and don't give a damn what anyone else thinks. I sanitise my hands before entering the shop and again on the way out. My only problem when wearing a mask is that my glasses steam up and I end up staggering up the aisles blind as a bat! Attractive? NOT! smile

cas58 Sun 14-Jun-20 19:45:05

Wearing masks and gloves is all fine and dandy. Personally, I don't bother with either. What I do bother with is when I get home. I wash my hands, and start sanitising. Keys, phone, card etc. The counter top before unloading the goods on to it and wiping the groceries as I unload onto it. I use the same bags when I shop and always clean them after too. Plus the inside & outside of my car of the parts I touch. I keep my distance and respect people's space.

Nannytrace Sat 13-Jun-20 18:50:40

I like the anonymity. My fringe is so long that once I have my mask on you would never know who I was. Seeing is a bit of a problem but hey-ho!

MayBee70 Fri 12-Jun-20 23:14:42

Although we’ve not spent much money on going out etc we do now spend a lot more on food because the small local suppliers that have been wonderful about delivering food to us are more expensive than the supermarkets. But what I have done is try to support a couple of local shops. One of them is a market stall that sells refills: soap, shampoo, herbs, spices etc etc. She’s delivered to the local area and supplied me with all sorts of weird and wonderful things that I couldn’t get elsewhere. I get my Castile soap from her and she sells wooden blocks to put soap on so it doesn’t go mushy. Washing up blocks that last for months and bio degradable toothbrushes. At least it’s counteracting some of the waste.

Alexa Fri 12-Jun-20 21:37:28

Yes, I'm horrified too at the efforts of our species to stay alive are having on our own environment.

I hope the grand shake-up in societies' institutions will reduce poverty increase social mobility, and raise consciousness about harmonising better with the environment.

MayBee70 Fri 12-Jun-20 21:21:29

I think the love affair with bicycles will only last as long as the good weather: people have forgotten that it usually rains a lot. I’ve bought some Castile soap for cleaning. Agree about soap bars: gentler on the hands, too.

Alexa Fri 12-Jun-20 21:10:12

Cheering thought, MayBee70: Instead of using hand washing stuff from plastic bottles we wash our hands now more effectively with bar soap.

Again, electric bicycles are selling well while cars are aren't.

MayBee70 Fri 12-Jun-20 20:31:33

I’m horrified at the amount of disposable stuff being used: chemicals to clean everything etc. I know it’s necessary but we’ve gone from trying not to use plastics/zero waste etc. to the complete opposite.

Abracadabra Fri 12-Jun-20 16:15:42

I started with a plain black mask but now have beautiful colourful ones.

I went on a train this week, wearing a mask (mandatory from Monday) and carrying sanitiser which I used. No gloves - do those who wear them dispose of them straight away or wash them straightaway with soap and water? I worry when I see people wearing gloves and some shops won’t allow people in if they are . Hand washing and sanitisers are much better

In this throwaway world, I prefer reusable, washable face coverings - I’m dismayed by the number of disposable face masks littering the paths and already, the ocean.

ExD you should be proud of yourself for wearing your mask to protect others.

BlueSky Fri 12-Jun-20 08:32:40

That's the way Daisy I think it's the only way we could go forward.

MayBee70 Thu 11-Jun-20 23:18:29

DH bought some masks from a very small Boots shop yesterday and he was very impressed by how careful they were. One in, one out: door locked between customers and staff wearing PPE.

Furret Thu 11-Jun-20 22:35:59

In the few open shops in our little town eg Boots, M&S Food, and the bakery all the staff are wearing masks. We are only allowed in under strict conditions.

I find this very reassuring and I wear a mask too.

TwinLolly Thu 11-Jun-20 21:09:40

In France there are many people who go to the shops wearing face masks. In some shops it is mandatory, e.g. a DIY shop: Leroy Merlin.

So don't feel like an idiot. It is for your protection. If they get ill and you don't - you were wise!

MayBee70 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:44:22

I agree that it should be mandatory. I’ve ordered a face mask which hasn’t arrived yet and I don’t go anywhere anyway but may venture forth when I have it. However I’ve realised that I am actually feeling quite nervous about doing so even though I’ve been ranting on about wearing masks for ages. Which shows that, no matter how old you are peer group pressure does still affect you and you still want to be accepted by those around you. And how there is a fear of being sniggered at which takes me back to teenage years.

Keffie12 Thu 11-Jun-20 19:03:59

I don't care what others think and neither should you. I wear one on enclosed spaces like supermarkets etc. I shall continue to do so too.

On a human level it reminds people to keep 2 metres away (put politely) Anyway on public transport, hospitals, Drs etc they are mandatory now.

My own view is they should be mandatory in any enclosed space for adults. I would rather feel stupid than get it or give it someone

moggie57 Thu 11-Jun-20 12:46:29

well i think you done right /plonker or not .you are elderly and anyone could have coughed or sneezed on you...i wear one on a bus ...

Daisyboots Thu 11-Jun-20 11:07:39

Here in Portugal you have to wear a mask when in public buildings and in public transport and taxis. You wouldnt be allowed into a supermarket if not wearing a mask. Even in restaurants and cafes you have to wear them to enter and place your order. Then you may remove them unless you move around say to use the toilet facilities or paying the bill. There is also hand sanitizer to use before you enter any building. Its been like that since 4th May.

Shropshirelass Thu 11-Jun-20 09:14:42

I wear one in shops, I was one of the 'few' but have noticed more people wearing them now. I would rather take as much protection as possible, if the others don't want to that is their choice.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 11-Jun-20 07:46:10

Scientists from Kings College have described this governments handling of the virus as primitive.

They are recommending wearing masks.

I shall take note of scientists not the government as I think they know less than we do.

Grannynannywanny Thu 11-Jun-20 07:32:46

montymops I was interested you said you have proven you currently have immunity after having had covid symptoms.

Hope you don’t mind me asking, how were you able to do so? Are you in the UK? My daughter had covid and on the advice of her rheumatologist she has to work from home until she has an antibody test to prove it’s safe for her to return to her workplace. She’s keen to get back to work but hasn’t been able to avail of a test.

Sawsage2 Thu 11-Jun-20 00:07:00

I always wear mask and gloves when shopping. If someone is infected and coughs near you, even with 2m distance you could get it?

BlackGrannie Wed 10-Jun-20 20:42:10

I have made a few masks using a tutorial on YouTube with fabric that cheers me up, wear them whenever I go out

LuckyFour Wed 10-Jun-20 19:42:17

Always wear a mask in public. The main reason I wear one is that it reminds people to keep their distance from you when they see you wearing it. I've seen people walking about with them and people just go passsed far too close because they forget or can't be bothered. When you wear a mask they always keep their distance, it's a visible reminder.

Bumboseat1 Wed 10-Jun-20 19:41:17

Yes I always wear a Face mask especially going into shops . I just don’t care a hoot what people think as I’m know I’m doing what I think is best .And I feel much safer too. I’ve been busy making my own face mask and now I have a nice collection I can wash out every time I use