Gransnet forums

AIBU

Considering breast reduction at 62

(79 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Sun 28-Jun-20 13:35:06

My boobs are making me miserable ? My BMI is around 22 and I wear a 32FF. I have deep shoulder grooves, intertrigo under one breast (because they sag) and neck and shoulder pain. It’s a pain finding clothes that fit and there are loads of things I can’t wear.

I wish I’d had a breast reduction ages ago but have now decided to go for it. I’m quite active with no known health issues and can’t bear the thought of possibly having to lug these things around for the next 20-30 years! Am I mad to be thinking about this procedure at my age and has anyone had one done later in life?

Froglady Sun 05-Jul-20 14:16:59

moggie57

have it done . wish my would go away... i think once you pass 60 yrs boobs should disappear...lol.... fed up with mine anyway .42c

I wish!

GrannyBettie Wed 01-Jul-20 15:38:10

Blue sky - sometimes it is just circumstances. In my case someone I know lost a nipple and the wound was awful for such a long time it put me off (for 11 years)!

BlueSky Tue 30-Jun-20 17:25:38

I guess that's the problem Ellie Anne if you cannot get it on the NHS. Shame really.

Ellie Anne Tue 30-Jun-20 17:07:23

Blue sky I was refused it on the nhs and had to wait till I had some money of my own as I knew husband would not understand. I would have had it years ago if it had been possible.

grannie7 Tue 30-Jun-20 16:23:16

Luck not Luke sorry

grannie7 Tue 30-Jun-20 11:53:48

Pollyanna
Try and get an appointment with the consultant who did your breast surgery.She/he will do it for you as the breast cancer consultants know there is a great need for the reduction surgery.They offer it when you are fully recovered from your surgery even if a long time has passed.
Good Luke

BlueSky Tue 30-Jun-20 11:23:41

I'm surprised that people have waited till they were in their 60s if not 70s before they decided to have it done. Why put up with all that discomfort for most of your lives? Seems rather late by then. Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Callistemon Tue 30-Jun-20 11:09:20

Reported!

I'm not sure what asbestos removal in Australia has to do with this thread
confused

Cinderella Tue 30-Jun-20 09:21:40

Whatever you decide, I wish you the very best. I take a 32 E and spent many, many years trying to find a comfortable bra that looks pretty as well. I am 74, by the way.
I bless the day I found the EMPREINTE brand. Made in France, not cheap, but they wash and last really well. I use the full cup model called Thalia. Their swimsuits are lovely too. Have a look online. Blessings xx

MPAAsbestosRemovalAdelaide Tue 30-Jun-20 02:52:05

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MaggieTulliver Mon 29-Jun-20 21:02:35

Of course Moth

MaggieTulliver Mon 29-Jun-20 21:01:54

Thank you for all your messages of support, pollynana please go for it! So good to hear from those off you who had it done on their 60s and beyond.

Moth62 Mon 29-Jun-20 20:47:00

If you have it done, could you come back on here and say how it went, please? I’ve a friend from primary school who has suffered for years with this problem and is now quite hump backed with the weight. Thank you. ?

Magi Mon 29-Jun-20 19:55:03

I had it at 69, it has made a wonderful difference.

Iam64 Mon 29-Jun-20 19:54:40

Yes, do it. A friend had reduction in her early 40's, always said it changed her life for the better.
You know the likely delays if you go NHS. If you can afford it , go privately. Good luck x

Phloembundle Mon 29-Jun-20 19:01:09

Go for it. My sister had hers done and never regretted it. I'm always astonished at these women who want big boobs. I feel sorry for them. As far as I'm concerned they are simply milk machines, end of.

helena49 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:32:44

I had mine done in my 60's, best thing I ever did and wished I had done it years earlier. I can now buy a bra from Sainsburys for £8 instead of the expensive ones I used to have to buy.
You will not regret it

grandtanteJE65 Mon 29-Jun-20 18:23:52

No, you are neither mad nor unreasonable.It sounds as if there are very good reasons for wanting a breast reduction, so I hope it tunrs out well.

pollynana Mon 29-Jun-20 17:55:14

This post resonates with me as I’ve been thinking for years to ask my GP if I could have a breast reduction but thought at 72 I’d be told no. I had breast cancer 25 years ago so have quite a nice perky one where the lump was taken out and a huge one, very difficult with clothes and obviously have to have a bra to fit the big one resulting in plenty of space for the ‘little’ one. Wasn’t offered a reduction on the one that was healthy al those years ago. From the posts I’ve read on here today it’s given me the confidence to ask if I can have it done.

4allweknow Mon 29-Jun-20 17:19:39

I know someone who had one in her 50s. Suffered terrible back and neck pain until the surgery. As a hairdresser she was in agony most days. Made such an difference to her life. Still has a fairly substantial bust.

grannie7 Mon 29-Jun-20 17:01:58

Go to the doctor and tell him how the problem is distressing
you.
It doesn’t matter how old you are, make the doctor understand how long you have suffered with the pain etc.
You are entitled to have them reduced on the NHS.
Don’t be fobbed of .
I had mine reduced when I was 75 on NHS.
good luck you will feel great after.?

Florida12 Mon 29-Jun-20 16:37:05

You go for it, you will feel like a new woman. Smaller breasts look better in clothes of every type, especially double breasted coats.
I am 64 and my breasts have got bigger with age, I was 34b from 16-50 then they just grew. I don’t like them, so ageing.
Do let us know how you get on, good luck.

Ellie Anne Mon 29-Jun-20 16:28:31

Oh and mine cost about £5000. Don’t grudge a penny. Couldn’t get it on nhs

Ellie Anne Mon 29-Jun-20 16:22:53

I had one a few years ago in my late 60s. I’d wanted it for years but felt I shouldn’t spend all that money on myself. When I told husband I wanted it he sniggered and sneered so I went ahead anyway. The surgeon couldn’t make them as small as I wanted but it was a great improvement and I have never regretted it. You go for it!

frenchie3 Mon 29-Jun-20 14:53:51

I had a breast reduction at 72 years and have not regretted it. I went private and it was all excellent. Good after care. I had a lady surgeon, but it would not have bother me if it had been a man. No problems, but a great relief to me, one of the best things I have done. Good luck and do not worry.