Gransnet forums

AIBU

Considering breast reduction at 62

(78 Posts)
MaggieTulliver Sun 28-Jun-20 13:35:06

My boobs are making me miserable ? My BMI is around 22 and I wear a 32FF. I have deep shoulder grooves, intertrigo under one breast (because they sag) and neck and shoulder pain. It’s a pain finding clothes that fit and there are loads of things I can’t wear.

I wish I’d had a breast reduction ages ago but have now decided to go for it. I’m quite active with no known health issues and can’t bear the thought of possibly having to lug these things around for the next 20-30 years! Am I mad to be thinking about this procedure at my age and has anyone had one done later in life?

B9exchange Sun 28-Jun-20 13:38:53

I am really proud of you, it will make such a difference to your life, and with your problems you should be able to get it free on the NHS. You are a very sane lady!

MaggieTulliver Sun 28-Jun-20 13:42:36

Oh thank you B9! I doubt I’d get it on the NHS unfortunately (I work for the NHS so I know) and even if I did qualify, I’d probably have one foot in the grave before I could have it! Have decided to go private, I think it would be money well spent because the procedure would be life changing.

tickingbird Sun 28-Jun-20 13:45:07

If they’re bothering you so much by all means get them reduced. You still have a lot of living to do so ho for it.

tickingbird Sun 28-Jun-20 13:45:21

Oops ‘go’

ExD Sun 28-Jun-20 13:51:00

I have a friend who had a reduction and never regretted it. She was devastated at first because one nipple failed to 're-attach' and kind of 'fell off'as she put it.
But although she was offered an artificial one she decided it didn't really matter as she doesn't like obvious nipples showing through her clothes, so she settled for what she had.
She got her's on the NHS, she was a 36HH but a good deal younger than you at 38yrs old.
I think (sorry) it'll be your age that will deter the NHS - but its worth asking .........
Yes Go For It!

rafichagran Sun 28-Jun-20 13:56:40

Go for it, if it will make you feel more comfortable.

blondenana Sun 28-Jun-20 14:08:57

MaggieTulliver please ask your GP before you go and pay private,unless you can really afford to of course, maybe get it done a bit sooner
Last year i had my brow lifted on the NHS not as great as it sounds, but thats what they called it,
I had some loss of peripheral vision after one of my eyes ended up slightly smaller than the other and it looked like a drooping eyelid, after having bells Palsy about 12 years ago,
I was amazed when having an eye test at the hospital for glaucoma,that the Dr i saw asked what had happened to my eye,i told him and said i would love to get it lifted but couldn't afford it,
He said don't pay for it we can do it here on the nhs
It took about a year including other eye tests etc,and waiting for my Dr applying for funding
I was and am thrilled with it,as it now looks like my other eye, and can wear eye makeup now, as before it didn't show,
It was clled a brow lift as it was the brow which had dropped,
The nhs will only do it if they deem it necessary, and i would say you qualify

Atqui Sun 28-Jun-20 14:09:05

Oh how I wish I had been brave enough. My sister had it done at 60 and is so pleased she did. I was too chicken and now at 71 feel Ivev left it too late as I am overweight ( which doesn’t help the boobs ) I know what you mean about clothes - I can never buy a dress . Do it !!!

Granarchist Sun 28-Jun-20 14:30:31

I did it years ago - best thing I have ever done - just wonderful. Go for it.

TwiceAsNice Sun 28-Jun-20 14:35:43

Well done! It’s never too late to do something that will help you. I would also double check Whether you can get it done on the NHS but even if you pay fo for it, go for it especially if you are in pain

MaggieTulliver Sun 28-Jun-20 14:57:50

Thank you for all the encouragement. I don’t qualify on the NHS because you have to be a GG but I’m happy to pay privately. The annoying thing is I can’t get an appointment because consultants aren’t seeing patients face to face at the Ed moment because of COVID.

phoenix Sun 28-Jun-20 15:20:07

Shame there isn't a donation option! My bosoms are so small, I buy those "one size bigger" bras in Asda, to give me some sort of shape..

Maggie go for it, it's never too late!

Callistemon Sun 28-Jun-20 15:24:20

Yes, go for it.
But do check with your GP to find out if you could have it done on the NHS on health grounds and also for psychological reasons if it is making your life a misery.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Jun-20 15:29:22

If they're causing you health issues of sorts I'd have a word with the GP and take it from there.

MollyPolly60 Mon 29-Jun-20 00:15:04

I was late 50s and did it. Best thing I ever did!

welbeck Mon 29-Jun-20 02:03:46

are you going to harley street;
i believe a certain mr p.m. is good. he may work elsewhere also.

Coolgran65 Mon 29-Jun-20 05:01:31

I am so sorry I didn't go for it years ago.
I was a 34H in my 30s. Progressed to 36H.. Now at 71 I'm 36 or 38 j.
Ive too many health issues now to take on a reduction but oh boy...... How I wish I'd done it all those years ago. I never thought it might be available on the NHS.

Go for it.

BibiSarah Mon 29-Jun-20 05:08:08

Am I mad to be thinking about this procedure at my age and has anyone had one done later in life

No you're not mad. In fact we're the same age and Im having quite a few surgeries this year due to losing quite a bit of weight and not being happy with how certain bits not look. Im having, tummy, upper arms and boobs but I think the boobs are being lifted. Im having it done privately where I live.

Go for it!

JuneRose Mon 29-Jun-20 07:24:28

I'd love to have it done. Mine are 34hh/j. They are no longer a thing of beauty! My doctor said it would not be possible to have done on nhs but recommended a good private surgeon. Am I brave enough that's the question. If you are Maggie go for it. I'm sure you won't regret it.

harrigran Mon 29-Jun-20 09:46:48

I had a friend who was sixty and did not regret it at all, in fact her DD in her 30s suffered so she paid for her to have the operation too.
You can not underestimate the shoulder pain caused by carrying the weight around.

sarahcyn Mon 29-Jun-20 10:10:56

Can anyone tell me what it costs to go private?

Rumpunch Mon 29-Jun-20 10:12:02

I had mine done at 38 as they were making me so miserable and uncomfortable. I was a 44F. This was nearly 25 years ago and I do not regret it all. Even all those years ago I was not suitable to have it done on the nhs but my doctor suggested a surgeon I could consult with. It was money well spent.
As for you age - it makes absolutely no difference! You still have a lot of life to live yet and who wants to live it constantly feeling miserable?
I remember going shopping for my first smaller bra and it was so much fun to have a choice of bras! Have a think about how much smaller you'd like to be - going drastically smaller may not be the best idea - but your consultant will discuss that with you.
Go for it! Enjoy.

CarlyD7 Mon 29-Jun-20 10:13:57

I do know someone who had it done in her late 50's - she got it on the NHS as it was causing her back and shoulder pain (always something to mention to a doctor). Don't forget that, as you get older, you may develop arthritis in your shoulders and back, which will make it even worse. I suspect that if you don't go for it, in 10 years time you will very much regret it?

Teddy123 Mon 29-Jun-20 10:17:52

A friend had a reduction in her late 50s. NHS funded.
She was delighted. I thought she went a little too small.

I'm a 34H so I empathise with the problem. I was too nervous to get it done! So wish I'd had the courage to just get an uplift and maybe down to an E cup.

Go for it. My friend had no problems.