Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to be absolutely disgusted about the statue in Bristol?

(102 Posts)
sazz1 Sat 18-Jul-20 10:04:25

Really upset that a status of Jen somebody (Don't know her last name) was erected in Bristol. Have no problem with the Colston statue being removed but some unknown woman then has a statue of herself put in it's place! I think this is a real cheek as I'm not aware that she has done anything wonderful for black people in Bristol or worked tirelessly to enrich their lives. Having worked in social care I know at least 3 black workers much more deserving of the honour. It shouldn't be some jumped up t... who put her arm in the air on the day of the BLM protests. It's been removed at a cost to Bristol city council, but just who does she think she is?

Galaxy Sat 18-Jul-20 20:43:04

I know all that grandadhmm. I am stating if people let the word slut remain for example and I walked past it every day I would think the people who let that remain weren't really interested in making things better. I wouldn't trust them because they know how that makes me feel and let it continue.

Galaxy Sat 18-Jul-20 20:44:03

Actually Trisher has a point I would think they were more concerned about a dog than me.

25Avalon Sat 18-Jul-20 20:48:57

Slut has always been a derogatory word. The name of the dog was not offensive at that time but is now. There was no bad intent. The dog should be remembered by the name it answered to but people should be made aware of how the ethos was then which is very different from now. We are all children of our times.

vegansrock Sat 18-Jul-20 20:50:51

I doubt there is anyone alive who remembers the dog.

25Avalon Sat 18-Jul-20 20:53:35

Let’s do away with all the gravestones then of all those no one remembers. It will free up a lot of space.

Galaxy Sat 18-Jul-20 20:57:12

Actually the word slut was first used to refer to a man, and slut holes were the equivalent of rubbish bins, it then moved to mean dirty and messy, so its usage has changed considerably to what it means now.

trisher Sat 18-Jul-20 22:29:33

Actually I think the old gravestone was unacceptable and the new one is nicer,

Callistemon Sat 18-Jul-20 22:59:31

Galaxy

Actually the word slut was first used to refer to a man, and slut holes were the equivalent of rubbish bins, it then moved to mean dirty and messy, so its usage has changed considerably to what it means now.

Slut always referred to a woman who didn't keep her house or her children clean.

Meanings change over the years.

Callistemon Sat 18-Jul-20 22:59:58

I meant to add, so I see the connection now.

Iam64 Sun 19-Jul-20 09:00:57

I don't understand how anyone can argue that the use of the word n****r to describe black people was ever acceptable. It was always derogatory. The fact dogs were called n****r, colours or cotton named with that word just confirm how casual, unthinking racism was part of white privilege.

So much of our wealth came as a result of colonialism and from slavery. It's part of our heritage and its good that as a result of the death of George Floyd, black history is central to so many current discussions. We're along way from Dr King's I have a Dream speech but let's never lose hope that we can have more open and honest discussions about difficult issues.

Elrel Tue 21-Jul-20 01:36:25

Sazz1
I’m wondering why you feel so negative towards Jen Reid, referring to her as ‘some jumped up t...’ in your OP.

Hetty58 Tue 21-Jul-20 02:04:12

sazz1, you could, at least, get your facts straight before posting.

To repeat your words, I'm 'absolutely disgusted' and thought 'who does she think she is?'

Hetty58 Tue 21-Jul-20 02:05:35

Thanks for the laugh though - it did make me giggle!

Grandad1943 Tue 21-Jul-20 07:03:37

Jen Reid is someone who has in reality done nothing for the citizens of Bristol.

She is a person who supported an illegal act and in that action was noticed by an artist who was looking to make personal gain out of that situation.

Simple as that.

Iam64 Tue 21-Jul-20 08:53:27

Well, no disagreeing with Grandad's summary of this statue situation.

trisher Tue 21-Jul-20 09:10:36

He missed out one vital fact though- she's a woman as well. Discounted on all grounds!
I suppose you could have criticised the statue of Alison Lapper on the same grounds- Who is Alison Lapper?
As for the artist making personal gain perhaps that could be explained- if sold the money will go to charity. Marc Quin really doesn't need to do something like this. His name is made. However he has always been interested in doing things which investigate and examine the human condition. His blood sculptures were amazing.

flopen Tue 21-Jul-20 09:16:24

As long as he pays the cost of the removal, as requested by the council, I don't care

25Avalon Tue 21-Jul-20 09:31:28

The black mayor of Bristol has now received abusive mail from BLM because he had the statue removed - they are calling him an Uncle Tom. He has also had abusive email over the Colston statue. Social media has a lot to answer for.

paddyanne Tue 21-Jul-20 11:22:33

Personally I dont see the need for statues of anyone ,my wee town doesn't have any and it hasn't harmed us in any way at all.If you feel the need to look at them or admire what they did in their past then keep them in museumsThat goes for the warmongers the "royals" and any other "worthy" of having his ...usually men ....face and form out there for eternity .
Isn't there something about statues in the bible? I know there are none in the Church of Scotland or is it just holy ones they dont allow and slave traders and folk who authorised mass murder in a Kings name may be different ..who knows what mindset statue savers have !

flopen Tue 21-Jul-20 11:30:27

out of interest, statues DO have an architectural function, whoever they are of.
When you walk down Princes Street in Edinburgh, at each intersection look up to George Street, running parallel on the left (or right).
You will be looking up, and, at the top, there is always a statue on a plinth. The thinking, in designing this, was that it is easier on the eye to have something to arrest it.
Rather like having obelisks or ornamental gateways at the end of vistas in 18th century parkland. The eye needs something to seize on.
So, there is often a purpose to them.

Anniebach Tue 21-Jul-20 11:55:19

The 24 ft statue of William Wallace is being sent or has been to England for repairs , paddyann

ladymuck Tue 21-Jul-20 12:04:47

What concerns me more than anything is the way these people have been allowed to remove any of these statues in the first place. It should have been done officially if any removal was decided upon.
Where is this going to end...mob rule?

Oopsminty Tue 21-Jul-20 12:47:19

Doesn't look as if Thomas J Price (sculptor involved with one for Windrush) is very impressed with the resin one either. It was just a stunt to garner publicity for Quinn, * a white cis man*

www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/15/allyship-or-stunt-marc-quinns-blm-statue-divides-art-world

Let's get Price to do one

www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2020/jul/19/sculptor-unveils-black-everywoman-as-uk-row-over-statues-and-race-grows

25Avalon Wed 22-Jul-20 16:17:07

As a matter of interest just read on the Bristol Post the statue cost £560 to remove.

Callistemon Wed 22-Jul-20 18:08:23

That's a bit different than thousands.

Believe nothing you read or hear and half of what you see!!