Gransnet forums

AIBU

To love liver and bacon

(149 Posts)
Sallywally1 Fri 24-Jul-20 17:30:32

Lots of people seem to hate it and to have bad childhood memories! We had it tonight and it was lovely with smoked bacon and cheesy mash.

anyone else

TerriBull Sun 26-Jul-20 15:57:17

I remember liver being fed to me as a child in the "take it or leave it days", I think I was okay with it, mainly because I didn't think too much about what I was eating then. I've never fed it to my children, in fact haven't eaten it since I was young. I was particularly put off it when stopping at the butcher's counter, and on spying the liver, one of mine chirped up "mummy there's liver over there, is it human liver?".......eeeurgh! I think he was very young at the time, nevertheless I felt the need to explain, "we don't eat human body parts" shock

Camelotclub Sun 26-Jul-20 16:18:57

I only like calves liver cooked the Italian way - alla Veneziana, with finely sliced fried onions. We often used to go to an Italian restaurant in Charlotte Street on a Friday night and have this with lashings of red wine! Followed by Zabaglione. Restaurant long gone, alas.

jendean Sun 26-Jul-20 17:18:30

We like chicken liver very lightly cooked on either side and finished with good glut of balsamic vinegar and thyme. Cook some sliced onion and streaky bacon separately first. Lovely with mashed potato and our own runner beans. Wxxxxxse is the best and such good value for money for a very nutritious dish.

jendean Sun 26-Jul-20 17:20:11

Glut not glut!

jendean Sun 26-Jul-20 17:20:45

GLUG!

icanhandthemback Sun 26-Jul-20 20:37:41

I love lambs liver but you are dicing with death if you put flour near it. I love it slightly pink with mash and onion gravy. I also love heart and kidney.
The only tripe I've known is they green stuff we used to give the dog. Somebody told me if I cooked it, it would be much nice to serve. Do not ever do that and, in particular, do not put it in a pressure cooker before walking away to do something else. It is a smell you just cannot get out of the fabric of the house once it shoots out of the pressure cooker release valve and coats a very wide area!

Shizam Mon 27-Jul-20 01:15:30

Ah this has made me remember a chicken liver in port dish I used to make inspired by the slug and lettuce pub. I need to make that again.

Ellylanes1 Mon 27-Jul-20 02:33:10

Lambs liver, no too strong a taste , pigs liver/chicken liver, lightly cooked, try it. You may be surprised.

BelindaB Mon 27-Jul-20 11:55:17

I have a friend who has always stated that she loathes liver. A few years ago, I persuaded her to try my "Italian" liver - lambs liver cut into tiny strips, flashfried in olive oil and then sauted gently in cream. She curled her lip but cleaned the plate....

...and is there anything more delicious than chicken livers on toast for lunch?

Tweedle24 Mon 27-Jul-20 13:57:39

I had forgotten that my mother told me that, as a child, she was anaemic and was given raw liver to eat to boost her iron levels

Bumboseat1 Mon 27-Jul-20 14:05:26

I love liver and onions, Very good for you. we haven’t had this for ages as the last time the liver tasted very bitter, I think it must have been the way I cooked it! Odd you don’t seem to find liver and bacon on The menu when you go in a cafe or A restaurant, I don’t anyway !

glammagran Mon 27-Jul-20 14:14:29

???

kwest Mon 27-Jul-20 16:30:31

That sounds absolutely delicious. I am going to copy your recipe. Thank you for posting it.

Bellanonna Mon 27-Jul-20 16:38:34

The one with cream, kwesr? Yes, I thought that too. I will certainly try it.

Annana Tue 28-Jul-20 17:33:13

I remember someone telling me to soak liver in ( milk? ) before cooking which supposedly takes away the bitter taste.
And why does nobody use chicken liver as my mother did?

Estrellita Fri 31-Jul-20 11:48:48

I liked it as a child but am now vegetarian and haven't had it for years.

Sussexborn Fri 31-Jul-20 11:59:56

Family favourite here but two people ask for the actual liver to be removed, so they end up with bacon and chipolatas with liver flavoured gravy.

merlotgran Fri 31-Jul-20 12:43:28

We love it. Last week we tried Jamie Oliver's liver, bacon and onions bruschetta. It was really delicious.

www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/liver-recipes/liver-bacon-onions/

Fennel Fri 31-Jul-20 14:55:21

I've heard people say All offal is awful. But I like most of it. especially chicken livers but they're v. expensive, compared to the others because they're so tiny.
eg tongue - delicious but only one to each cow.

Hetty58 Fri 31-Jul-20 15:01:08

Liver and bacon?
As a vegan, I prefer mine like this (still alive):

ladymuck Fri 31-Jul-20 15:02:30

I haven't eaten meat for many years now but I used to enjoy liver with fried onions and plenty of mash.
Do bear in mind that all toxins are stored in the liver, so it may not be quite as healthy as you think.

Evoha16 Tue 11-Aug-20 12:20:00

Bazza you read my mind re W’rose and livers - We love sautéd organic chicken liver with shallots and parpadelle - I once listened to a programme on R4 about ‘tripe dressing’ - gruesome but fascinating.

Janetashbolt Mon 17-Aug-20 20:06:03

40 years ago i worked for a small firm in London that had a cook make a meal for all the staff every day. When I became pregnant at the same time as a colleague the cook made liver once a week. The other poor staff had to put up with, poor thing I still love it and it is so cheap