Gransnet forums

AIBU

MASKS

(142 Posts)
Serendipity22 Sun 26-Jul-20 11:03:52

Good morning everyone.

My question today is what are peoples opinions of wearing a mask ?

I will explain my opinion. I k ow they are necessary, I understand their purpose and despite not feeling comfortable in the slightest wearing one, I am on the understanding that I would rather wear one than catch the virus, but the whole situation has left me avoiding going shops or generally out and about and I have to agree with a report I read this a.m that others such as myself, will be drawn to online shopping opposed to trailing round shops, and then WHERE does that leave the high street ?

In the meantime, when its necessary to go out ( food shopping, petrol station) I will wear my mask, but other than the necessary public places, I will refrain.

[Smile]

Chewbacca Sun 26-Jul-20 19:09:59

I had a lot of errands to do yesterday and it meant bobbing in and out of several shops. Everyone was wearing a mask but I noticed that when speaking to a shop assistant, who was standing behind a perspex screen, they couldn't make out what customers were saying. A couple of times I saw customer pull down their face masks to make themselves heard. Defeats the object of wearing them really.

maddyone Sun 26-Jul-20 20:04:25

I just think we should wear them as we’ve been asked to.

Serendipity22 Sun 26-Jul-20 20:41:15

Ohhhhh heck ! There are indeed rather a lot of threads under the heading 'masks' ...sorry for adding another, in future I know what to do .....

Cheers smile

MawB Sun 26-Jul-20 20:53:20

???????????

BlueSky Mon 27-Jul-20 00:02:28

Final nail in the coffin for the high street.

Spookwriter23 Mon 27-Jul-20 09:56:22

I can not breathe with a mask on, I have asthma, and it makes it worst, I also have terrible anxiety wearing one so I have got an exception badge

Mollygo Mon 27-Jul-20 10:03:52

I’m impressed by the number of mask wearers near us, on transport, locally and in town. Even one older couple in the supermarket who had exclusion lanyards dangling, were wearing masks on Friday.

Cutting down on the checkout chat, because you/they can’t hear is sad for those who need that bit of social contact but it makes getting in and out of shops so much quicker.

Sadly the high street may well suffer even more than it had already, but looking at town on Saturday it seemed that even masks and queues didn’t stop the shoppers.

Macgran43 Mon 27-Jul-20 10:15:26

I don’t mind wearing a mask at all. Problem is I lose them as I have a few places to store them eg pockets, car, key hooks in kitchen etc. My son is designing face masks .His big sellers are ones for football supporters. A few gransnetters have bought from his website thank you.
www.fxg-masks.co.uk

BlueBelle Mon 27-Jul-20 10:15:57

I do not wear them out and about I see no sense in the fresh air unless you are going to be in a close knit group situation which I m not
I put one on as required in any shops I go in I still stay browsing and having a interesting time unless of course I m in a shop with a queue then I wouldn’t be so greedy
I miss trying shoes/clothes on a lot
I don’t wear one in the shop I work in as no other staff member does and it seems pointless to be the only one I work mostly on my own anyway I do put one on if I go out on the shop floor or to the kitchen area so far I haven’t seen any customers not wearing one
I wear one in the buses and again most people seem compliant
I spent an hour in a supermarket last weekend (no queues) and only saw one lady without (she was probably exempt)
But it won’t become a habit with me as soon as we get the go ahead mine will be gone although I m sure like in China and other Far Eastern countries some people will wear them always now

BlueBelle Mon 27-Jul-20 10:17:57

Oh and yes our High Street is just about gone now

Gingergirl Mon 27-Jul-20 10:21:08

My opinion is that it won’t stop a second wave if there’s going to be one and it doesn’t protect the actual wearer from contracting the virus. Nearly all of my shopping is being done online. I will wear a mask if necessary eg public transport if I use it, hairdressers....situations where you’re up close and personal and can’t move away for some time. I agree that it will be the final nail in the coffin for many shopping centres. Not the best decision the government has ever made.

CarlyD7 Mon 27-Jul-20 10:23:18

It's not only about trying not to catch it, but also not spreading it if you have it. A neighbour of ours did her supermarket shop, hours before her positive Covid test came back (she was confident she didn't have it). She had no symptoms (but a colleague had) - they both work in the same office in a hospital which is why she was tested, but developed symptoms 3 days later and was off work for 3 weeks. She is now mortified because she knows she will have spread it around everywhere she went. if she had had to wear a mask, that would have been avoided. lots of us will get it and have no symptoms or only mild ones (and mistake it for something-else) so wearing masks makes sense to me.

Bluegrass Mon 27-Jul-20 10:24:20

Sorry ladies, but I feel the majority of you seem to be a bit wimpy over this. Wearing a mask is a good idea - those countries that encouraged the wearing of masks from the start had a much lower death rate. I believe in this approach. e.g. it's usual if one lives in Japan and feel unwell in any way, a mask is worn in consideration of others. It is a custom we should adopt.?

HannahLoisLuke Mon 27-Jul-20 10:24:44

I too gasp for breath in a mask and do have an exemption card. However, on the couple of times I've had to go into a shop I have worn a mask but have now bought a couple of Perspex visors which I will use instead.
Maw, if another thread irritates you just don't click on it! From the number of responses plenty of people do still want to discuss it.

Longdistancegrnny Mon 27-Jul-20 10:26:59

I seem to recall that the introduction of mask wearing was supposed to give us all confidence to go out and about shopping and spending money to get the economy going again? Clearly not working if the above responses are anything to go by. I had not worn one until yesterday (did a big supermarket shop on Thursday evening!) but stopped at a garden centre on a whim yesterday - couldn't wait to get out and take mask off - mind you I have never been keen on garden centres!!

Lucca Mon 27-Jul-20 10:29:26

Gingergirl

My opinion is that it won’t stop a second wave if there’s going to be one and it doesn’t protect the actual wearer from contracting the virus. Nearly all of my shopping is being done online. I will wear a mask if necessary eg public transport if I use it, hairdressers....situations where you’re up close and personal and can’t move away for some time. I agree that it will be the final nail in the coffin for many shopping centres. Not the best decision the government has ever made.

“It doesn’t stop the actual wearer.....”

.I’ve heard it all now.
If everyone is wearing one then everyone is protected.

WoodLane7 Mon 27-Jul-20 10:36:48

I am with Serendipity22; I find them extremely uncomfortable
The drop in footfall at Tesco on Saturday was noticeable - I saw the minute I pulled into the car park at around my usual time that there were a lot less cars there. Staff members were all masked up and said there had been a drop in trade since Thursday and now wprried about staff being laid off, hours cut etc
Went into B&M, didn't browse just ran in grabbed the 3 items I had gone for and back out again - very few customers (3 or 4 at most) - those who were there wore masks but none of the staff did
I will continue a weekly supermarket shop but birthday and Christmas presents and the like will all be purchased online for the forseeable....

MayBee70 Mon 27-Jul-20 10:37:29

It does given some protection to the wearer. Although the only time I’ve been anywhere for months have been three emergency trips to the vets I do have quite a selection of masks. Mainly reusable ones because I’m so worried about the impact on the environment. But I do have surgical grade single use masks that I shall wear if I do go into a shop as they will protect both me and the people around me. HoweverI shall keep my use of those to an absolute minimum.

MawB Mon 27-Jul-20 10:37:54

HannahLoisLuke

I too gasp for breath in a mask and do have an exemption card. However, on the couple of times I've had to go into a shop I have worn a mask but have now bought a couple of Perspex visors which I will use instead.
Maw, if another thread irritates you just don't click on it! From the number of responses plenty of people do still want to discuss it.

Thank you for your concern Hannahloisluke but I think I am old enough and ugly enough (as my parents used to say) to decide for myself both on the content of threads and the threads themselves.
Just because 20 threads contain posts saying the same things does not make them any more true and if those wishing to comment on anything insists on starting a new thread every time, it makes a mockery of forum and thread titles -how will anybody ever keep track of discussions?

cc Mon 27-Jul-20 10:39:24

I went to Morrisons the other day for the first time since March (wearing a mask) and the only problem that I had was that the security man at the door could not understand what I was asking him. Then I realised that he couldn't understand the other guard either so I am guessing that he was hard of hearing - he's obviously going to have problems for the next few weeks.
There were a lot of people wandering aimlessly around the store without masks, but I'm assuming that they will wear them in future - though I can't see the stores being able to enforce this rule.

maddyone Mon 27-Jul-20 10:40:02

Of course you don’t have to wear a mask in a restaurant to eat or drink Bex. How on earth can anyone eat wearing a mask? People don’t eat in shops!

Furret Mon 27-Jul-20 10:40:47

Actually I’m more encouraged to shop in the ‘High Street’ now that people are wearing masks.

Jen60jen Mon 27-Jul-20 10:41:47

I feel exactly the same, I wear a mask when I absolutely have to, I have four cloth ones so I am prepared. But like the other lady I do not like wearing one. I suffer with anxiety and I had to go to boots , by the time I queued and got to the check out I felt extremely hot and anxious, their were a few problems with my purchases and I found I just couldn't think straight or breathe properly, I guess it was like a panic attack, I felt such an idiot! So I will also be sticking to on line shopping from now on.

VeeScott Mon 27-Jul-20 10:43:37

The shield will protect your eyes but it will not fully protect you from others coughing and sneezing and the droplets could travel under the shield.

polnan Mon 27-Jul-20 10:46:12

why another thread on masks?

well some like me are new comers, or just don`t read every thread. but what I thought MawB when you asked this, was
well don`t our opinions change?

me? I hated them very anti, have no choice now, but will not visit shops unless I really have to

my personal experience, I went to my church for the first time yesterday, had to wear masks... so I did!

vicar said at the beginning, he has been told that we can take our masks off when seated, as long as we then only face forwards (we were all well distanced)

no singing,, now this is my gripe

why? why can we talk with masks, then why can`t we sing with masks, asked vicar he said something about more , thousands more droplets or something when people sing

so when we sneeze , wearing a mask, surely that is similar to singing, and as long as we face forwards?

and obviously don`t go belting the songs out!

I just do NOT get it.. and that is the problem with this Government, so many of us, try hard, but find it difficult to tie up the instructions

shops.. customers have to wear masks, but , well my local Morrisons , and I have read several other shops, the shop assistants etc. don`t wear masks

tell me where is the logic in this?