Gransnet forums

AIBU

Granny and baby parking.

(31 Posts)
kircubbin2000 Mon 27-Jul-20 08:08:30

Friend kindly gave me a lift to tesco. She parked in the mother and baby spot and when I pointed it out she told me not to worry as she had the baby seat in the back so it was ok! Apparently she does this all the time but I didn't want a row so I said no more.

biba70 Sat 01-Aug-20 21:26:19

B9exchange, totally agree. It should only for young children who have to be in car seat, or disabled.

Spice101 Sun 02-Aug-20 08:58:57

Where I live they are called Parents with Pram parking. That pretty much defines the age of the child.

Nansnet Mon 10-Aug-20 06:50:01

Georgesgran, I understand what you are saying about the wider spaces. However, my father, who isn't a wheelchair user, but walks with the aid of elbow crutches, has great difficulty bending his knees, and many other problems due to chronic rheumatoid arthritis. It's a major effort for him to get in, and out, of a car, and he needs assistance. Most standard parking spaces simply aren't big enough, as we need to have the car door wide open to help him in and out. He does have a blue badge, but most people wouldn't take notice of that if the car was parked in a normal space, and not a disabled space. As people usually need to squeeze their cars into tiny spaces, it means I've often had to reverse out of a space, and hold up other vehicles whilst then getting out to help my father back into the car. So, I do think that there are many people with disabilities who still need the wider spaces, even if they don't use a wheelchair.

NotSpaghetti Mon 10-Aug-20 07:03:52

I think parent and pram is a great idea Spice101.

JuliaM Mon 10-Aug-20 19:21:08

Qwerty, when my Dad died last May, I used the government 'Tell us once' service via the Death registrar. This cancels all Government issued services and benefits of the deceased person, including their Blue Badge if they had one, imedeatly. It is a very good service, and prevents anyone fraudently claiming or using the privaledges awarded to anyone who has passed away, such as Blue badge use like you mentioned in your previous post.