Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cycling on pavement

(102 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 28-Jul-20 22:41:16

I was out with my GS today, in the push chair thankfully, when a boy (12/13ish) came hurtling round a corner and nearly rode into the push chair. I was shocked, but carried on walking. 30 seconds later, another one almost crashed into us.

As he swerved, I yelled, 'Get on the road!' He said 'Why?' So I replied, 'Because you're supposed to ride on the road.'

We crossed the road and next thing I knew a car drove past with a dodgy looking woman hanging out of the window. She shouted 'Ask next time!' at me. I assume about my telling the boy to get on the road.

Since I've been walking as a form of exercise lately, I've noticed a lot of cyclists riding on the pavement. Am I incorrect to think this is wrong? My assumption was cyclists belong on the road or a cycle path.

Grandmafrench Tue 28-Jul-20 22:53:46

You're right of course but made to feel otherwise. It is illegal.

Cycles should always be on a road or on a designated cycle path. It probably wouldn't be too much of a problem if people behaved in such a way that they gave priority to pedestrians, cycled very slowly, always looked where they were going and gave way to anyone walking, etc. But since they don't, it can be quite dangerous and, of course, like so many laws these days, there's no enforcement by the Police.

annep1 Tue 28-Jul-20 23:13:30

Recently I've seen lots of cyclists on footpaths. I don't mind if they are courteous, unless of course there's a dedicated cycle path.

ladymuck Wed 29-Jul-20 06:50:31

Cycles and disabled scooters are becoming more and more of a problem. They need a separate lane on the roads but unfortunately, most roads just aren't wide enough to provide them.
To add to the problem, many cyclists don't have bells on their bikes. They come up silently behind you!

TerriBull Wed 29-Jul-20 07:10:52

Absolutely should be on the road, maybe with the exception of very young children who sometimes are a bit too wobbly for the road.

LullyDully Wed 29-Jul-20 08:34:20

Yes cyclists silently swerving past me from behind is one of my dreads.

Either they have no bell and whizz past or if they ring, it it is too late and I get confused.

It seems the law doesn't seem to exist any more that cyclists should be on the road, unless I am mistaken.

We were on a river path and some youngsters dodged in and out of pedestrians. They were very agile, sadly I am not. We need some public awareness videos maybe.

Lucca Wed 29-Jul-20 08:37:59

I did once say to a young man that I thought he was old enough now to ride on the road, I got a blank look of incomprehension but no abuse fortunately !

fourormore Wed 29-Jul-20 08:55:44

This is an age old problem - years ago I used to take my kids to the school bus stop which was close to a secondary school. Whilst stood with others at the stop we would constantly have to jump out of the way of cyclists. I reported it to the police and was told "Actually they're safer on the pavements than on the roads!" I did suggest that we and our kids might be safer if we walked in the middle of the road but that suggestion was ignored!
That was the best part of 40yrs ago so nothing has changed.
I agree with you all though - if the riders are not competent enough to be on the road they should get training and not use the pavement - it is so dangerous especially for the elderly and hard of hearing.
I also cringe when I hear parents moaning that the streets aren't safe for the children to play in!!!

TrendyNannie6 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:09:58

Oh it’s a big pet hate of mine, where I live there are several cycle paths but what happens on a daily basis, grown men bomb along the path right next to the CYCLE PATH, teenagers etc, I just can’t get my head round it, there will be an accident one day, they take no notice when you say things as they are gone like the speed of sound, we have a few disabled people who too go quite fast too, you have to mind your ankles, but on occasion some use the cycle paths, I don’t really have a problem with the disabled at all using the footpaths as such but I do think it’s disrespectful when they too go a speed and expect you to get out of the way quick, one in particular with a air type horn thing waving his flag, on your ankles in second, he could of course have dementia though, it’s like formula one some days

Jane10 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:17:29

I know it's heresy to say it but I'm sick of cyclists being sacrosanct and the way ahead for us all. As an exasperated taxi driver once said to me 'the trouble with cyclists is that any damn fool can buy a bike and immediately get on to the nearest road without any knowledge of the highway code.'
If there are going to be so many bikes about then there should be some sort of compulsory training and registration for them.

Granarchist Wed 29-Jul-20 09:24:53

We cycled 700miles across France last year - most interesting. On the whole, cars ALWAYS gave way to cyclists and cyclists ALWAYS gave way to pedestrians. Often in towns cyclists are expected to ride on pavements - indeed where pavements are wide enough there is a white line showing which side pedestrian and cyclists should be. It was very relaxing and stress free. The only problem was on big main roads where it was the huge lorries and the Dutch towing caravans who were the menace. We rode on all types of roads and were amazed by a total absence of litter and potholes.

Barmeyoldbat Wed 29-Jul-20 09:26:41

Difficult one this. On shared paths can't pedestrians walk to on side instead of right in the middle and I am afraid we are all just going to have to get use to it as cycling is becoming more popular and more shared paths being made. I cycle down our High Street, with cars parked on both sides so I cycle in the middle of the road so I don't get knocked over by some driver opening his door. I not a fast cyclist so the cars build up behind me and people sound their horns and shout but what am I to do. It seems wherever I cycle someone is upset.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:31:38

We often took a long walk to a local garden centre which was also near to the local comprehensive school. Many times we were passed by teenage kids on their bikes. We tried to stay vigilant and stood to one side for them to pass. Without fail the first one would call out a "thank you" and the last would say, "I'm the last one!" They're not all bad.

The problem is that many of our roads have a large amount of traffic and the pavements are narrow. When they were first built they were never intended to cope with such large numbers. Cyclists are squashed in the middle. Motorists feel that they are in the way and slow them down while pedestrians can feel intimidated. It's only the badly behaved which are noticed.

Iam64 Wed 29-Jul-20 09:48:29

I hesitate to join in the grumble but here I go.
I'm a regular walker on our woodland paths, the paths around the many reservoirs in our area and our local parks. Cyclists are always a bit of a menace but since lock down it seems a lot of a menace.
I haven't yet had a single cyclist ding a bell or shout a warning that they're about to speed past me. Often there will be half a dozen of them, usually men who seem to totally lack any notion of live and let live. Cycles are banned around the reservoirs but of course this can't be enforced. I'm happy to share the lovely places with anyone but I wish these cyclists would shout a warning or ring a bell or even (can you imagine) slow down as they pass.
I'm always walking with dog(s) and its become increasingly difficult to let the dogs off lead so they can sniff and amble. It just isn't safe with cyclists zooming past and likely to run your dog over if it happens to be in their way.
Before anyone reminds me - I stress my dogs aren't off lead pestering other people, they're well behaved and their recall is spot on. That wouldn't prevent them being injured by a bike.
Sorry for this long moan.

Squiffy Wed 29-Jul-20 10:31:20

If there are going to be so many bikes about then there should be some sort of compulsory training and registration for them.

Bring back the Cycling Proficiency Test? Plus and adult version?

Squiffy Wed 29-Jul-20 10:33:08

I haven't yet had a single cyclist ding a bell

Bells seem to have been abandoned - why are they considered so uncool these days? I think they should be compulsory, especially as they can usually be heard above traffic noise.

midgey Wed 29-Jul-20 10:38:26

I thought bells were a legal requirement! What drives me insane is having to move to the side so an adult on a mountain bike can use the pavement while I stand on the grass.

timetogo2016 Wed 29-Jul-20 11:20:31

It is a criminal offance to ride on pavements contrary to section 72 of the highways act of 1835.
And they could be fined anything from £30-£500.
How that could be policed though i don`t know.

EllanVannin Wed 29-Jul-20 11:26:38

It's when they're right behind you that it can sometimes get confusing as to whether to quickly leap to the right or left----it shouldn't be this way, so dangerous and it gives you a start.

vampirequeen Wed 29-Jul-20 11:31:17

Cyclists have to remember that they are riding a potential. weapon just as a car driver is driving a potential weapon. People know that cars can kill if there is an accident but seem to forget that being hit at speed by a bicycle can also be dangerous. It's the cyclists responsibility to be extra vigilante if they cycle on pavements or shared tracks.

SueDonim Wed 29-Jul-20 12:27:11

Some cyclists are a menace. I was knocked flying by a cyclist who was going hell for leather through a railway station, of all places. This was more than 15 years ago and I still have the scars on my arm and knee.

If I was knocked down like that today, I’d be suing the cyclist. Back then, I suppose I just accepted my fate. ? There’d been a witness, an elderly lady who knew the lad‘s family, and she shouted at him and said that she’d told him off before for cycling in the station.

Ever since, I’m very nervous around cyclists, they’re so unpredictable.

Toadinthehole Wed 29-Jul-20 12:32:47

They shouldn’t be on pavements. We cycle all the time and are very careful. We get fed up because everyone else seems to take priority over us, even on cycle tracks....horse riders for instance! People with dogs are an absolute menace at times, and the only time I’ve ever nearly come off.

quizqueen Wed 29-Jul-20 12:42:43

Cyclists should have to have number plates and insurance, the same as car users and should be fined for breaking the laws of the highway. Since these seem to be the only laws which police care about (other than sitting alone on a bench during lockdown), I'm surprised they don't push for my idea to become law as it would bring in extra revenue.

quizqueen Wed 29-Jul-20 12:54:40

Granarchist-re no potholes /litter in France. That's because our money has been spent there instead of here. Also, I think parental and school discipline is generally stricter, for which I commend them.

TerriBull Wed 29-Jul-20 13:13:53

Following on from what others have stated, there is a particularly aggressive type of cyclist, not all, but usually in all the gear, head to toe in Lycra. Since The success of the 2012 Olympics their numbers have multiplied. I'm not sure when it is, but sometime in the summer, maybe not this year, but certainly since 2012 there is a Sunday rally when cyclists recreate that run into London, certain areas around where I live and into Surrey, can't get out of their roads, a lot are closed for their benefit, it generally causes chaos, and none of them pay any insurance! Many of the thrusting," highway code doesn't apply to me" type go through red lights habitually. Near where I live, they think nothing of riding three abreast in Richmond Park, and woe betide you if you give them a toot, there is a 20 mile speed limit there, but you can still find a whole stream of cars just following several cyclists who won't get in single file. They can be very intimidating. As I said it's a certain type, not all cyclists, most I can see are not like that.

The adolescent of the OP shouldn't have questioned "why" anyone pushing a pushchair wouldn't want him crashing into them, it's so dangerous, at that age he should know better. Just being obtuse goes with the teen territory, sometimes! and the mother obviously a "my little Johnny never does anything wrong" variety.