Gransnet forums

AIBU

Cycling on pavement

(103 Posts)
GagaJo Tue 28-Jul-20 22:41:16

I was out with my GS today, in the push chair thankfully, when a boy (12/13ish) came hurtling round a corner and nearly rode into the push chair. I was shocked, but carried on walking. 30 seconds later, another one almost crashed into us.

As he swerved, I yelled, 'Get on the road!' He said 'Why?' So I replied, 'Because you're supposed to ride on the road.'

We crossed the road and next thing I knew a car drove past with a dodgy looking woman hanging out of the window. She shouted 'Ask next time!' at me. I assume about my telling the boy to get on the road.

Since I've been walking as a form of exercise lately, I've noticed a lot of cyclists riding on the pavement. Am I incorrect to think this is wrong? My assumption was cyclists belong on the road or a cycle path.

MissAdventure Thu 30-Jul-20 15:37:33

Where is it you live? wink

granfromafar Thu 30-Jul-20 16:09:55

We have just returned from a lovely sunny trip to Hythe where we were able to cycle along the wide seafront path that is for pedestrians and cyclists. I bought a folding bike last year and haven't ridden it that much due to lack of suitable roads in our area. I felt happy to cycle along the shated path, ringing the bell if we approached pedestrians from behind and thanking them if they moved over a little. As earlier posts have stated, there are good and bad cyclist/ drivers and pedestrians so everyone needs to be aware of who is around them. I would not feel safe riding along most roads where we live,

Bluebellwould Thu 30-Jul-20 16:11:00

Miss adventure, you want to come and have a look too? ?

rowyn Thu 30-Jul-20 16:20:20

CAn we start a campaign for a law that says cyclists over the age of 14 should have some means of identification clearly displayed - mini number plate maybe?

Candelle Thu 30-Jul-20 16:35:06

Re-reading, this is rather long...

Why so much intolerance?

I cycle, am a motorist and walk.

It is true that only children (ten and under) should, by (a rather vague) law, cycle on pavements and although I always use the road (and wonder each time I leave the house whether I will cycle back to it...) I can understand why people cycle on the pavement.

To those who don't cycle, have you ever stood at a traffic light or zebra crossing whilst a huge articulated lorry or bus has passed? Have you not felt the weight of the thing, the whoosh of air, the rumble of the engine? Now, imagine being a few inches away from such a vehicle as it passes - too close to you - whilst you trundle along on the road beside it. It is utterly terrifying.

My daughter was driving last week and watched, appalled, as a cyclist just ahead of her suddenly reared up in the air and came crashing down into the road. She was able to stop, manoeuvring her car across the road as she leapt out and attended to him. His wheel had caught in a pot hole and thrown him off. He was fortunate not to have been thrown into the path of a car and exactly proves why cyclists should not cycle close to the kerb. It just isn't safe.

If you see a cyclist in the middle of the road overtaking parked vehicles, it is because if anyone in one of those cars should open their door, the cyclist would be knocked off and possibly thrown into the opposing traffic. We are not being difficult!

We cycle (cancelled of course, this year) in Belgium each year. There, they have shared pedestrian/cyclist pavements - works beautifully. No problems with aggression on either side. In Belgium cars have to stay a minimum distance from cyclists when they are on the road (no pavements etc.) and if there should be an accident, it is presumed always the motorists fault. I have no idea if this is popular or not in Belgium but, motorists certainly show a huge amount of respect to cyclists (not so here) which means that everyone can travel safely. We are always shocked to be cheerfully waved through, ahead of a motorist at a crossing etc. There is NO aggression.

Yes, I know it can be frustrating if a cycle is ahead of you and you are in a hurry - happens to me too but surely, the ten or twenty seconds that one is held up is negligible overall.

Final point: I have been self-isolating for 4.5 months but two weeks ago for the first time, visited a very very badly 'policed' supermarket. No hand gel, aisles blocked forcing shoppers to pile up etc., etc. The following day, I went for a cycle ride and in a narrow road, a van passed me going in the opposite direction. As he passed the driver spat at me, scoring a direct hit on my lip.

A few days later I caught Covid-19 and showed positive on my test. Thankfully, it was a mild case and could have been so much worse. I had to have caught it in one of the two incidents mentioned above (they were on subsequent days).

This is the level of intolerance that only prevails in the UK. Are we really such a nasty aggressive country?

Going back to the original poster, the boys if ten or under, probably should have been on the pavement. Over ten they should be on the road but please re-read paragraph four, would you really enforce an eleven year-old made to cycle on the road?

Finally, I understand the frustration of those of you who have had encounters with badly-ridden cyclists and can only apologise for their behaviour. I am a seventy-something old woman on a cycle, keeping as fit as I can but each outing fearful for my life As I am sure you will agree, there are many many badly driven motorists and there have always been aggressive ten-year-old boys on cycles! What has probably changed is the attitude of their parents who in the 'olden days' would have made their children apologise for their behaviour!

Surely we all need educating?

annep1 Thu 30-Jul-20 16:45:12

Candelle what a disgusting thing to do. I'm glad you are ok.

HurdyGurdy Thu 30-Jul-20 16:50:43

I'm curious. Reading this thread, cyclists are a dangerous menace on the roads, and lethal on pavements.

So where should they ride, to keep everyone else happy?

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Jul-20 16:51:55

Yes Bluebelle I feel exactly the same when I am on a beach or even out shopping when I see fat (yes the word fat) middle aged men and women wearing tight clothing, low tops and showing to much flesh. So its not only cyclists. Disgusting isn't it.
A good point was made about cycling in Belgium, the same applies to Holland, if there is an accident involving a cyclist her is never at fault. Everyone has a responsibility to take of themselves when out and about, how many times have I rang my bell and no-one has moved, you may well give the excuse because you are deaf but surely the people with you aren't. Just for the record I am stone deaf in one ear but still manage to hear bells ringing when a cyclist is going to overtake me.

rowyn Thu 30-Jul-20 16:55:16

I've watched cyclists ignore red lights many times. If an oncoming car should accidentally hit them, would it still be the motorist's fault in your world, Candelle?

Lockdown point.
Like many local people I have walked along by the river quite often, to get a little exercise. It was noticeable that everyone was being really careful about social distancing, to the extent that some people would move aside and wait for others to pass.
However, quite a few cyclists decided that they too would like to cycle along the pavement and made absolutely no attempt to distance themselves, or defer to the walkers, including mothers with pushchairs, expecting pedestrians to move out of the way.

I have no problem with having to slow down when there is a cyclist on the road, and am careful to keep my distance. However, I find it infuriating when some - not all - groups of cyclists on country lanes decide to ride three abreast with no compunction whatsoever.
\And yes, I'll keep my distance when passing a cyclist, but will they refrain from wobbling around unpredictably?

I can only shudder with horror to think that it's possible that electric scooters are going to be added to the mix!!

Luckyoldbeethoven Thu 30-Jul-20 19:00:16

I am fascinated by these endless accounts of cyclists riding three and four abreast. I'm a regular cyclist and have been for years. Let's have some data: where do you live, how many times have you HONESTLY seen this? The only group of cyclists who would ride like this are racing cyclists and there are few in the UK. So I simply don't believe you.

My experience of group cycling is the organiser making sure we ride in groups of three or four (if we're a large group) so as to avoid holding motorists up!!

It's a giant moan based on a few anecdotes and an example of the insane UK bigotry against people who happen to ride bicycles. Pathetic.

Toadinthehole Thu 30-Jul-20 19:16:31

Candelle, that is so awful, I’m glad you’re alright now. Like someone else said, there’s good and bad people, regardless of how they’re transporting themselves around. I cycle, drive and walk. I don’t have a dog, which is another bone ( excuse pun!?) of contention. As a cyclist.... the irresponsible owners of dogs are probably the most dangerous, followed by cars, then pedestrians, but I can see that however you get around, there’s always someone who’ll put you in danger. I’d like to have cycle paths just for cyclists, paths just for pedestrians etc. but we simply don’t have the room. Some of our pathways are separated into cyclists one side and pedestrians the other, but most of the time the council don’t keep them cut back of nettles, brambles etc, So the two merge into one. Oh for a perfect world ?

DotMH1901 Thu 30-Jul-20 20:09:51

Some cyclists are worse than car drivers - they seem to think the pavements are all cycle paths and that pedestrians should dance out of the way. I think they should have to pass a safety test and to be insured just like moped and scooter riders have to be. I also wish people would use a bit of sense when out walking and not hog the pavement, I have lost count of the times I, as a single pedestrian, have been forced into the road by groups of people walking with children (usually) or buggies or in one of those huge mobility scooters that are so popular now. There seems to be a total lack of any kind of consideration at all for anyone.

Thecatshatontgemat Thu 30-Jul-20 20:40:25

Yup. You are absolutely correct. We cyclist DO belong on the road or a cycle path.
It gets my goat too when idiots are cycling on the pavement, and it gives us all a bad name.
Sadly, as with drivers, there are always selfish stupid people out there. And as stated, there's a lot of cyclist about.
Some of us are courteous and don't cause problems, so we are not all bad, but l really do feel you have every right to be alarmed and annoyed.
Where l live, there is a shared promenade that stretches long and wide right by the shoreline, and so far, the mixture of cyclist and pedestrians has worked. The biggest problem (and another poster has mentioned it) is dodging out of the way of oncoming cyclists...... Please don't! Just keep walking on your original trajectory, we will go round you!

rowyn Thu 30-Jul-20 22:18:32

Luckyoldbeethoven, thank you for calling me a liar. I think you demonstrate the blinkered attitude of some cyclists who think they can do no wrong and are better than anyone else. In my 50 + years of driving I have seen quite a number of cycling 'packs' usually on the country lanes in Berkshire and Buckinghamshire. I have also seen well organised groups of cyclists who drop back into single file when a vehicle draws near. Similarly, over the years I have seen rogue cyclists ignore the Highway code in one way or another. I have also seen idiot car drivers . I do not assume that all cyclists are the same, but I quite definitely have seen a lot of examples of illegal and dangerous riding. Unfortunately , I haven't kept a log book, so you will just have to take my word for it. I get no particular advantage or pleasure from telling the truth.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 30-Jul-20 22:22:35

Some people seem to hate anything that moves.

Fennel Fri 31-Jul-20 13:29:13

The local council of our very busy town had started some major road works this week. Planning to close inner lanes of most through routes, to be used only for cyclists and pedestrians.
The build-up of vehicles has been horrific.
Now we've heard that a petition of some councillors has resulted in the delay of the plan - to be discussed further.
Looks as if there's a war on !

Candelle Fri 31-Jul-20 17:16:37

annep1 and Toadinthehole, thank you for your good wishes. I believe I have had a mild dose of Covid and although still breathless and tired, have not become really ill (despite my underlying conditions!).

To rowyn who asks about a cyclist in Belgium running a red light and being in an accident with a car, well, I have no idea of the legal situation. However, the point I am trying to emphasise is that the likelihood of this happening in Belgium is far more remote than here as there IS no aggression between car and cycle. The cyclist would have no need to run a red light as he would know that on it turning green, he would not be mown down by a driver in a hurry as the driver would be conditioned to take a few more seconds and wait until it was safe to overtake the cyclist.

It is the attitudes here in the UK that need changing. Please remember I am also a motorist! I understand both sides of this conundrum but there needs to be a change in attitudes (just beginning to happen) here.

Incidentally, in Belgium we see many elderly (80+) cyclists. often in couples, trundling along. Cycling is a normal mode of transport and not at all niche; these people have been cycling all their lives, so are fitter, thinner and possibly happier through regular exercise.

It would be lovely if we here, could be safe on the road and benefit likewise...

Candelle Fri 31-Jul-20 17:23:16

Fennel, it will take some years before the public will be on board with all that councils are trying to do regarding cycling.

The idea is that in time, the build up of traffic will reduce as more and more of the public see a cycle as a normal mode of transport and use them day to day. Even I would cycle more if there were safe lanes on the really busy A-roads.

A thinner, fitter general population is what is the aim is.

I possibly won't see this change in my life-time but I hope that for my children and grand-children, a difference can be achieved...

dontmindstayinghome Fri 31-Jul-20 17:38:40

I was always brought up to believe that cyclists should ride on the road but this does seem to have changed.

My bicycle is lying unused and unloved in my shed because i'm too scared to use the roads anymore. They are so busy and cyclists are definitely deliberately targeted by some drivers. My son was regularly knocked off his bike when he used to cycle to work by lorry drivers who would actually swerve towards him!

Now that its quite acceptable to use the pavements (courteously of course) I'm tempted to get my bike out again!

Candelle Sat 01-Aug-20 10:24:35

don't mindstayingathome, try your local council for a couple of free refresher lessons. It used to be called 'Bikeability' but may have a new name now.

I started cycling again after approximately fifty years and the two lessons I had were very useful and helped me use roads again.

I was shown (and yes, I did take my Cycling Proficiency Test - and still have the certificate somewhere!) how to cycle away from the kerb, how to safely signal, pass by width restrictions and so much more.

See what's available in your area, it really was very helpful and I started to cycle once again (so much fun)

Barmeyoldbat Sat 01-Aug-20 11:27:06

Yesterday we did a cycle ride into cycle and what a joy it was. Families out on the trail, walking, jogging, cycling, dogs and kids. Everyone getting on. Not once was there a racing cyclist as many of you have been talking about and some were not very confident but were given space. Once in the centre of Cardiff we found that the main road around the castle had a barrier along its length for cyclists to use and also part of the road was made into a seating area for eating. No cars, less pollution and a joy. This is the way forward.

Alexa Sat 01-Aug-20 11:31:13

No cyclist of any age should be allowed to ride on a public path or road until they pass a test. The test would partly be aimed at ensuring the cyclist knew that pedestrians always have right of way on footpaths and bridle paths.

Bikes should have registration numbers so the offending rider can be identified. Cyclists should dismount if necessary when old people, young children, or dogs are around.

vampirequeen Sat 01-Aug-20 21:22:12

According to Cycling UK around 3 million people cycle at least once a month. That means there are far more responsible cyclists that irresponsible cyclists just as there are far more responsible drivers than irresponsible drivers. We don't notice the responsible cyclists because they don't affect us but we notice the irresponsible ones and tend to tar all cyclists with the same brush.

I have liability insurance. It's not expensive (mine is included in my Cycle UK membership) and covers me for any accidents that are my fault or if someone else who is uninsured (or drives off) causes me to have an accident.

Fennel Mon 03-Aug-20 16:32:46

re protests - I read an article at the weekend saying that the Motorists Association are planning to challenge the legality of various councils decisions to use govt. grants for extending bike lanes in towns and cities.
They say the public should have been asked to give their opinion, so it's a breach of human rights (or something like that.)

Fennel Mon 03-Aug-20 16:39:48

ps personally I can't decide what's best. I don't cycle, and recently gave up driving because of the increasing volume of road traffic. Where we live the pavements are mostly narrow and uneven and it's hard enough for pedestrians to get by, especially if an occasional cyclist comes weaving between us.
I don't know what the answer is.