Gransnet forums

AIBU

to be cross with people on Free Cycle?

(34 Posts)
kittylester Sun 02-Aug-20 16:31:25

As some of you will have gathered, DH and I have been sorting out the roof, garage and other random storage spaces.

We have sold some stuff, put some back in the roof blush and put stuff on our local 'Spotted' site free - so, the equivalent of Free Cycle.

Up to now I have had one person not turn up to collect 6 virtually unused kitchen chair cushions, 1 not turn up for for some unused vases and one turn up for a rechargeable carpet sweeper who also took a chair we had listed and then looked the other way when I passed her in the street.

And, now, someone would like me to 'pop round' to the next village with a steam mop and detergent for them.

cornergran Sun 02-Aug-20 22:52:40

We had some success with Freecycle in our last home, very useful before a major downsize, most people came into time and were respectful.

I gave up here, lots of people wanting us to jump through their hoops. Then I got to thinking about value and how some people only value what they pay for. I’m not a Facebook user so tried advertising on Gumtree, easier than eBay I thought offering things for just a few pounds and making clear offers were not acceptable. Most things disappeared within a couple of days. Nowt so queer as folk as my parents would have reminded me.

To answer your question kitty, of course it’s OK to be cross. smile.

kittylester Mon 03-Aug-20 08:40:41

We usually take stuff to our local Headway shop as they were so good to DS1 but they are not open currently.

We have a vast pile of stuff in the dining room that we would like to get rid of but I think it will have to wait.

We have a furniture upcycling place which we do use but this stuff is not their type of thing.

Elrel Wed 05-Aug-20 01:05:57

I’m amused by people on Freegle etc. who claim to be ‘desperate’ not for a fridge but for a silver fridge.
However most of my experience on such sites has been positive.

gillybob Wed 05-Aug-20 07:07:17

I’ve put quite a few bits and bobs on Freecycle over the years and have rarely been let down. We live in a very poor town and on the whole people are extreme grateful for anything they can get for free.

I have been moved to tears on a few occasions and in particular once earlier this year when an elderly gentlemen came to collect a very large and unopened tub of fence paint . He stood at my front door almost begging me to accept “a little something for it” and I kept telling him absolutely not, that is not in the spirit of Freecycle (the clue is in the name) and he just shook his head saying he didn’t realise that he really got it for free.

He then asked me if I could lift it into his car for him and when I did he turned with a grin and said “I don’t suppose you could paint my fence as well could you ?” I was so tempted to say yes I would and very much regretted not doing so .

Another time I gave a record player away and a young man came for it (I always say the first to ask gets first chance) and he said he wanted it as his father had died and he had found a pile of old LP records in his loft but had no means of listening to them . He said that he would like to hear the music his father had loved when he was young and again I felt quite tearful .

Furret Wed 05-Aug-20 07:12:53

When the grandchildren went to school I found I had lots of stuff I needed to get rid off. A lovely Moses basket, virtually unused, high chairs, low chairs, low tables, car seats, etc.

I put it outside in our drive and some on the pavement with a sign to ‘help yourself’. Now it’s a quiet avenue with little footfall but it all went. One woman even knocked on the door to say she would like the four little chairs but couldn’t carry them all, so could I save them for her while she went to get her car. She was back within a few minutes.

Freeandeasy Wed 05-Aug-20 13:02:32

gillybob That was a lovely poignant post. I prefer to give things away but, like others have said, it’s not always easy. I’ve donated many large items of my own and my mum’s to the British Heart Foundation. They are always grateful and I received a lovely letter recently from them to say that my old dining table sold for £40 (was going to pay for the Council to take it away). They employ a large percentage of disabled people who accompany the driver and it’s heartwarming to see that they enjoy their job so much.

Notinthemanual Wed 05-Aug-20 15:18:07

My experience suggests your friend was right - people willing to buy are more reliable than those responding to free items.

I hadn't thought about it till I saw your post. I wonder why that is

Callistemon Wed 05-Aug-20 15:22:10

kittylester our local Upcycling centre didn't want dark wood furniture even though it is a good make and some of the furniture they do sell there looked far more tatty.
No-one wants it, apparently.
However, one of the local charity shops was glad to take it.