Gransnet forums

AIBU

to expect people to read the flipping op and the thread before posting?

(47 Posts)
kittylester Wed 05-Aug-20 19:18:20

I know this has been aired before but please, before you post - read the flipping thread properly!

Puzzler61 Wed 05-Aug-20 21:28:05

In my eyes you’re “top drawer” Chewy ?

annep1 Wed 05-Aug-20 21:55:15

If you use the Desktop site the headings are at the top.

I try to read the OP thoroughly but if there are many pages, like Callistemon I don't always read them all, takes time and energy.

I think it would be a good idea if the person who starts the thread could choose to close it once they have all the comments they want.

Chewbacca Wed 05-Aug-20 22:51:55

Aw Puzzler, that's a very kind thing to say, thank you! blush

Doodledog Thu 06-Aug-20 00:53:10

I can understand people not wanting to read long threads If they aren’t going to add to them, but I do think that if someone is going to reply then they should make the effort.

So often we we see posts from people saying that their posts are ignored, and that it puts them off taking part. In many cases this is probably because their thoughts have been repeated by someone who has butted in without bothering to see if someone else has already made the same point.

I think it’s rude to do that, and it probably loses posters and adds to accusations of ‘cluquiness’.

Doodledog Thu 06-Aug-20 00:53:41

Cliquiness!

annep1 Thu 06-Aug-20 02:44:19

I think "butt in" is a rude way to describe someone trying to add a helpful comment.
If it's already been said then no harm is done. But if someone feels they have something to add which could be useful then they should whether or not they have read all the other comments. Some of us are too limited in energy to read the often large number of comments on threads.

kittylester Thu 06-Aug-20 06:59:44

But things can move on, cant they?

I think having the op's subsequent posts in green would be good.

But, people don't always read the posts correctly anyway.

Puzzler61 Thu 06-Aug-20 07:24:54

I’m one of those folk who needs to read something twice or I can misunderstand, particularly if an OP is long and full of detail.

sodapop Thu 06-Aug-20 09:11:07

I think we have been over this before, on my tablet the OP and their subsequent posts are highlighted in green and my posts in pink/purple.
I often find that other posters have already said all that I wanted to so there seems little point in just making the thread longer.

Teacheranne Thu 06-Aug-20 09:17:37

On another forum I use, each time I open a thread, the page automatically opens at the last post I read. It makes it easy to see any later responses without having to scroll through from the beginning.. I think that would be great to have here.

Lucca Thu 06-Aug-20 09:40:50

On my iPad op thread starter is in green but not their subsequent posts.

felice Thu 06-Aug-20 09:41:34

I so agree, I was once abused by a lot of posters when I posted about going into Hospital for my second knee replacement.
Told I was abusing the NHS etc.
I had made it very clear in my OP that I did not live in the UK.

Also got lectures about looking after DGS at the beginning of lockdown, again made it clear that I live in the family home with DGS, DD, And SIL. The rules are also different here which I made clear.
I think some people just like to cause trouble and be nasty, but we all know that.

shysal Thu 06-Aug-20 09:50:09

Teacheranne if you customise to include bookmarks, you can be taken to the last post you read on here too, if you hover at the end right and click on 'saved'

Summerlove Thu 06-Aug-20 11:56:56

phoenix

Callistemon prizackly!

Why can't GN have that too?

Some posters do.

I did, until I switched from Mobile to desktop and back. Then it disappeared. I had to start a thread on site stuff about it ages ago, but was told that I did in fact have it when I did.

Summerlove Thu 06-Aug-20 11:58:09

sodapop

I think we have been over this before, on my tablet the OP and their subsequent posts are highlighted in green and my posts in pink/purple.
I often find that other posters have already said all that I wanted to so there seems little point in just making the thread longer.

Whatever you do, never switch to desktop visw

BlueSky Thu 06-Aug-20 12:32:29

Or the OP comes back apologetic if challenged. Stand by what you said or don't say anything in the first place!

Rufus2 Thu 06-Aug-20 12:52:11

Gets my goat every time

Urmstongran You're kidding, !? Congratulations. grin

Doodledog Thu 06-Aug-20 14:35:24

annep1

I think "butt in" is a rude way to describe someone trying to add a helpful comment.
If it's already been said then no harm is done. But if someone feels they have something to add which could be useful then they should whether or not they have read all the other comments. Some of us are too limited in energy to read the often large number of comments on threads.

I'm not sure how to edit a quote, but I wanted to comment on one point above - 'if it's already been said then no harm is done.'

My point was that it can be harmful if posters feel that they are being ignored. We often see people saying that they have commented on threads but nobody takes notice of them, and that someone else making the same point gets replies.

I'm not saying it is a life-changing thing, but if it stops people from joining in on threads then harm is done, as it is if people are hurt by it, which some clearly are.

annep1 Fri 07-Aug-20 22:56:01

Very few of my comments are ever replied to Doodledog and I have felt ignored, and that I'm not part of the "in crowd". So I do get your point. But I still feel its important to add something that might be appreciated even if I haven't read the whole thread. I would love to be able to read all the comments
I don't mean to be discourteous.

Callistemon Fri 07-Aug-20 23:44:18

I just did it again on another thread, replying without reading the whole thread. ?

That was ten minutes of my life I will never get back.

Chewbacca Fri 07-Aug-20 23:48:36

I don't think that Morley will come back, especially now that her OH has sussed that she's been here asking for advice. Which brings us to the name changing thread.......