Gransnet forums

AIBU

Nitromors paint stripper evaporating within minutes??

(11 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Sun 09-Aug-20 14:21:54

Posting here for traffic. I'm trying to strip the crappy paint job off some decorative metal table legs that have a bumpy irregular surface. (Can't be sanded). I want to bring the metal details to life again. I'm working in the garden in an area of deep shade. I thought today would be the perfect day but I'm literally watching the Nitromors evaporate before my eyes! Can it really be too warm to do this task? I can't see any information online yet..

MerylStreep Sun 09-Aug-20 14:36:46

Mary
Is the nitomores a new can? If not, it will weaken every time you open the can.
If all else fails use a rotating wire brush ( also so much nicer for the environment) nitromores is evil stuff.

CherryCezzy Sun 09-Aug-20 15:55:12

You could try boiling water and baking soda to remove the paint, it's an old trick but has been known to work.

phoenix Sun 09-Aug-20 15:58:26

CherryCezzy do you mean baking soda, or soda crystals?

MaryTheBookeeper Sun 09-Aug-20 16:24:14

I'm reasonably sure the surface would be damaged from a rotating wire brush - it's a vintage piece.

geekesse Sun 09-Aug-20 16:47:56

You want to be careful. If it’s evaporating that quickly, you’ll be breathing it in, and it’s nasty stuff.

bikergran Sun 09-Aug-20 17:46:16

There are other paintstippers, Wilko do one that has hardly any smell and is much kinder.

phoenix Mon 10-Aug-20 12:23:38

Mary have considered getting them tank dipped?

CherryCezzy Mon 10-Aug-20 13:20:59

Baking soda Phoenix

flopen Tue 11-Aug-20 08:00:17

I wouldn't bother with the stuff. I've used it to strip gloss paint off Victorian fireplaces. In the past, you'd literally see it working. After they changed the formula, it was useless. I can see why they had to change it, but, unfortunately, the changes they made rendered it hopeless

Glorybee Tue 11-Aug-20 08:17:22

I’m not surprised the formula has been changed. Whenever I used it years ago, I always got flu symptoms afterwards, although I didn’t make the connection until it had happened a few times. If I used it indoors, even with doors and windows open for ventilation, it turned the gas fire flames a beautiful green colour ?.