Gransnet forums

AIBU

This is a Masquerade! [angry]

(58 Posts)
Quizzer Sat 15-Aug-20 10:50:53

At our smallish supermarket yesterday everyone was wearing a mask, great! The problem was that I counted at least 5 people not wearing them properly. Some had them just over their mouth but not their nose. Two were wearing them on their chin, not covering either nose or mouth. Do they not get the point? They were mostly seniors, some even wearing plastic gloves. I feel that I want to shout at them, but don't want to be banned from the store.

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Aug-20 10:54:11

I totally feel your frustration, masks worn incorrectly are absolutely no good for anything/anyone and if not removed correctly well contaminate everything it is in contact with ???

maddyone Sat 15-Aug-20 11:00:07

I saw a lady in the supermarket the other day, just as you describe, mask not covering mouth or chin, so selfish. She was a senior too, older than me I would say. Then saw my own mother, sitting waiting for me as she has finished her shop, wearing her mask over her mouth but not her nose! I explained how she should be wearing her mask, and so she me accused of ‘shouting’ at her! I wasn’t shouting, I was in a shop for goodness sake, but with my 92 year old mum, any explanation she doesn’t want to hear, she accuses the person of ‘shouting.’

Jaxjacky Sat 15-Aug-20 11:09:37

Ditto, young girl serving with mask over mouth not nose, I said you might as well take it off, she replied we don’t HAVE to wear them, replied ‘well don’t then! ‘

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Aug-20 11:11:43

When I picked up my prescription yesterday the dispenser had her mask below her nose ????

shysal Sat 15-Aug-20 11:21:34

Annoying isn't it? Also, I wish they would stop fiddling with their masks! I see this on TV all the time as well as in the shops.

GrannyLaine Sat 15-Aug-20 11:25:54

I saw a very clever meme on FB that said

"when I see how people are wearing masks, I now understand why contraceptives fail"

Calendargirl Sat 15-Aug-20 12:15:03

Our local butchers has a sign up about mask wearing.

This isn’t verbatim, but I hope you get the gist.

Wearing a mask is like wearing a bra. You don’t want to wear one really, no one notices if you do, but everyone notices if you don’t.

JoyBloggs Sat 15-Aug-20 12:34:15

Caendargirl... very funny, I like that! grin

GrannyGravy13 Sat 15-Aug-20 12:38:33

Oh dear Calendargirl that made me chuckle ???

lemongrove Sat 15-Aug-20 12:47:40

Yes Quizzer I agree, really no point in wearing masks the wrong way, as bad as no mask at all.

quizqueen Sat 15-Aug-20 12:48:05

I hate wearing masks and think they do no good at all and only wear one in a shop because I have too. As my glasses steam up all the time, I also pull it below my nose as often as possible. There have been zero infections or deaths in the small village I live in. I refuse to live in fear of my death or anyone else's. We are all born to die.

EllanVannin Sat 15-Aug-20 12:51:57

The elderly are braver than I am going into supermarkets. I haven't been in one since the beginning of March ! Or on a bus/train/. Nowhere in fact.

MiniMoon Sat 15-Aug-20 12:58:06

You wear a mask where you are asked to. You do not wear it for your protection, but to protect others from you, and your potential to spread the virus if you are infected.
You may not know you are infected as there are many people with the virus who show no symptoms whatsoever.

I think it is totally irresponsible of people not to wear a mask.

I too want to tell people to wear their face covering properly.
For part of my career I was an infection control nurse, it makes me so cross!

Starblaze Sat 15-Aug-20 13:00:44

Your glasses stop steaming up once they adjust to the temperature change, the same way they do at other times they steam up.

I wonder if there was the same uproar when seatbelts and motorcycle helmets became law? I didn't notice any but I suspect there was... Now its just normal and masks will be too in time

Jaxjacky Sat 15-Aug-20 13:03:18

quizqueen if you wash your glasses in soapy water, washing up liquid is fine, the slight film left stops the steaming up.

You may not like wearing a mask, I doubt you’d like a ventilator either.

maddyone Sat 15-Aug-20 13:10:44

Good post Jaxjacky.

Chewbacca Sat 15-Aug-20 13:24:31

On Thursday, I was in a large supermarket that had signs all over the place, reminding customers of the requirement to wear a face mask, plus cannot announcements. A customer, who was wearing a sweatshirt with a well known local nursing home logo on the front, walked in beside me. She had her mask looped around her ears but completely tucked underneath her chin. Not one inch of it was over her mouth or nose. And she works with elderly vulnerable people.

Marydoll Sat 15-Aug-20 13:32:09

Opticians recommend NOT washing glasses in soapy water. Apparently it damages the lenses.
My DIL is one and one of our local opticians has posted a video, urging clients not to do this.

FarNorth Sat 15-Aug-20 13:34:03

Yes, Starblaze there was the same uproar about motorbike helmets and seatbelts.
An aunt of mine, as a car passenger, would hold the seatbelt across herself without securing it - to fool the police if they looked at her confusedshock

Oopsminty Sat 15-Aug-20 13:35:23

I've always washed my glasses in hot soapy water

Unintentionally

They often slip off whilst reading in the bath

Marydoll Sat 15-Aug-20 13:41:57

Oopsminty ?

You need to see an optician to get them tightened! My DIL taught me the hairdryer trick. Heat them gently and gently adjust them. wink

Starblaze Sat 15-Aug-20 13:43:30

FarNorth

Yes, Starblaze there was the same uproar about motorbike helmets and seatbelts.
An aunt of mine, as a car passenger, would hold the seatbelt across herself without securing it - to fool the police if they looked at her confusedshock

That's utterly bonkers, the seatbelts still being across you, the necessity to hold it in place uncomfortably... Diminishing your ability to drive with one less hand or being a passenger in someone else's car and risking them being held responsible for it.... Zero logic there

Bubbe Sat 15-Aug-20 13:43:57

I too get cross with the fact that many people don't wear their mask properly. I've even seen some with it just hanging off one ear.

I bought a few different styles of mask, thinking I would find one that worked for me and then then make my own using some of the vast stash of fabric I seem to have accumulated over the years.

I discovered that some of the masks (in fact the nicer, more elegant ones) slip down if I talk ~ as the movement of my chin drags it down. I will only wear the more gorgeous ones if I don't intend talking.

Jaxjacky Sat 15-Aug-20 13:45:41

Marydoll oops, didn’t realise about the soapy water, thank you. I’ll have to wear mask further up nose. Tbh if it was totally flush, my glasses wouldn’t steam up, but I don’t think many of the non NHS ones are.