Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sanding waterbased gloss is a complete bitch..

(20 Posts)
MaryTheBookeeper Wed 19-Aug-20 18:07:06

It shreds into tiny long bits of spaghetti paint peelings, clogs up the sandpaper on the 2nd/3rd pass. Normally you can just lightly sand a bit of woodwork to provide a key without too much trouble but not with 4yo waterbased gloss. It's a bloody nightmare to get a nice flat surface with tiny peelings everywhere. Waaay more effort than it need be... Aibu?

Chewbacca Wed 19-Aug-20 18:20:28

Nope, don't think you're unreasonable. What about using a small electric mouse sander that you can easily change the sandpaper on?

Auntieflo Wed 19-Aug-20 19:33:28

Mary, you have let it dry properly I suppose.

Callistemon Wed 19-Aug-20 19:55:53

Friends used to use a primer which was just painted on and made the surface have a grip for painting. I think Dulux do one.
I can't tell you how well it worked though.

That's one job I loathe - sanding down paintwork. I'm sure it started off my RSI, but I was doing a lot in one go. Do be careful.

MandL Wed 19-Aug-20 21:41:48

We are at the moment chipping off all the gloss paint in our hallway that the previous owners put on over a 25 year period- I feel your pain!
The problem is caused when each new layer is applied without sanding. There’s no easy solution....

MaryTheBookeeper Wed 19-Aug-20 22:01:01

Auntieflo it's had 4yrs to dry!

Auntieflo Wed 19-Aug-20 22:59:31

Oh Mary, apologies. I thought you were putting on new paint, and sanding between coats.

JuneRose Wed 19-Aug-20 23:04:48

It's weird stuff isn't it - it goes sort of sticky when you wipe it down. It marks when you stand anything on it. And is clearly a pain to get rid of! Not the best.

Callistemon Wed 19-Aug-20 23:15:26

We I chose satinwood last time but never again.
It retains marks and is difficult to wash.
We'll go back to old-fashioned gloss next time.

Chewbacca Wed 19-Aug-20 23:30:01

I was just thinking the same today Callistemon. I only redecorated this house 1 year ago and did all the woodwork in satinwood instead of gloss. It's looking really rather grim already; very dull and marked, especially on the banister where it's touched a lot. Thought it was just me being a rubbish decorator.

Callistemon Wed 19-Aug-20 23:38:22

No, we have marks on doors, skirting boards etc and stains from a plant pot on a window sill which are impossible to wash off.. It's very disappointing

Chewbacca Wed 19-Aug-20 23:40:41

stains from a plant pot on a window sill ditto. Damned annoying. The more I tried to clean it off, the duller and worse it got.

JuneRose Wed 19-Aug-20 23:45:18

Oh maybe that's what we've got - satinwood - agree with all the comments.

Chewbacca Wed 19-Aug-20 23:57:59

It's a bit disappointing JuneRose but you live and learn eh! smile

bikergran Thu 20-Aug-20 07:21:26

My dh used to be an old fashioned style decorator.

He was a sticker for undercoat (oil based) and proper oil based gloss.

I think if you want a long lasting hard wearing surface it has to be the old fashioned oil based paints.

As op says the water based paints are horrendous to sand down.

But sometimes we just want a quick freshen up and go for the quick drying water based paints.

I do find they yellow quickly, If I wanted a quick job(say I was moving house wanted to freshen up, then I would use the quick dry water based) but otherwise the task of undercoating and glossing would be the order of the day.

ayse Thu 20-Aug-20 08:36:21

Yesterday I realised how difficult acrylic (plastic) paint is to work with. It’s not easy to work with as even after sanding the item it’s all smeary and even after a second coat it’s not much better. This is just the primer. I’ve also found the finish does not last for long.

I’m hoping to be able to find good old oil based paints for any future paint jobs. What’s the point of all the effort to finish up with something that does not last?

I wonder what the environmental impact is of plastic paint versus oil based paints especially as the brushes are washed in water and all this goes down into the water system?

I don’t suppose there is any good environmental outcome for either style of paint.

ayse Thu 20-Aug-20 08:37:55

PS. I’ve always used oil based paints in the past and they are worth the effort.

Callistemon Thu 20-Aug-20 10:28:15

We did have someone to do the hall, stairs and landing last time and he did ask me if I was sure about the satinwood. Yes please, said I, firmly.
I wish I'd listened to him.

DorrisJohnson Sat 22-Aug-20 19:52:06

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Hetty58 Sat 22-Aug-20 19:58:55

The satinwood I used in the hall (wish I hadn't) seems to be slightly sticky still - after a year. I think I'd only attempt to sand it, very lightly, with fine emery paper, just to dull the surface.

Next time, I'm using oil-based eggshell!