Gransnet forums

AIBU

Donald Trump and Nobel Peace Prize....

(26 Posts)
Luckygirl Wed 09-Sep-20 18:57:00

........Just been sent a petition by change.org which speaks of him having been nominated - surely this is a wind up.

coastiepostie Wed 09-Sep-20 18:59:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 19:05:32

Donald Trump. Nobel Peace Prize. Well, those are 5 words I never thought I'd see in the same sentence. Bit of an oxymoron isn't it?

suziewoozie Wed 09-Sep-20 19:11:09

Some right wing Norwegian politician has nominated him apparently ?

Pantglas2 Wed 09-Sep-20 19:12:34

What have they seen that I’ve missed?

Lucca Wed 09-Sep-20 19:13:08

Ask urmstongran

Kate1949 Wed 09-Sep-20 19:23:02

I received the email too. No it's not a wind up.

Jane10 Wed 09-Sep-20 19:24:07

It must be his annual self nomination

Urmstongran Wed 09-Sep-20 19:27:24

Happy to oblige.
?

Donald Trump has been nominated for the 2021 Nobel Peace Prize following his efforts to broker a deal between Israel and the United Arab Emirates (UAE).

The US president's name has been put forward by Norwegian politician Christian Tybring-Gjedde.

So far there some 318 nominees.

Pantglas2 Wed 09-Sep-20 19:30:06

Thanks Urmstongran- I suppose with that many nominations he may not make the short list? Who is he up against?

GillT57 Wed 09-Sep-20 19:38:02

He is desperate for this as he was so jealous of Obama being awarded it.

Grandmabatty Wed 09-Sep-20 19:48:13

I'm sure he's the best ever Nobel peace nominee there ever has been. Nobel himself said so to Donald.

Urmstongran Wed 09-Sep-20 19:48:21

Trump said he “would get a Nobel Prize for a lot of things if they give it out fairly, which they don’t,” and repeated his complaint that Obama was undeserving of the honor.

“They gave one to Obama immediately upon his ascent to the presidency, and he had no idea why he got it,” Trump said, adding: “You know what? That was the only thing I agreed with him on.”

GillT57 Wed 09-Sep-20 19:51:53

Actually, Urm I agree too that the award of the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama was a bit premature, he hadn't had the chance to even earn it and to my mind it was therefore devalued. I do admire Obama, and think he was a fine president, but at the time I thought it a tad premature. Trump however, is not deserving of it.

Urmstongran Wed 09-Sep-20 19:56:13

Thank you GillT57 for an unbiased opinion about Obama. He is a great orator and inspiring to listen to. He let America down though in so many ways.

GillT57 Wed 09-Sep-20 20:04:49

Yes he didn't achieve all that I think he would have wished Urm, chiefly because legislation got 'stuck', especially anything to do with gun law. Listening to Trump, then Obama is quite a contrast. Big difference in the behaviour of their respective supporters too; the irony of a man who is President in charge of a country with red neck militia roaming the country with automatic weapons being nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize ..........

Urmstongran Wed 09-Sep-20 20:08:56

True GillT57 very true.

phoenix Wed 09-Sep-20 20:10:23

I got that email too.

My feelings about "that man" are unprintable.

He is one of the most obnoxious people of this age. If he is re-elected (please don't let him be) he will be even more unbearable than he currently is (hard to imagine I know) and if he got a Nobel Prize then heaven help us!

Furret Wed 09-Sep-20 20:12:56

Is he actually sane?

Chewbacca Wed 09-Sep-20 20:14:53

The jury's still out on that one Furret.

absent Wed 09-Sep-20 20:17:56

It is worth noting that Donald Trump has tweeted about the unfairness of the "Noble" Peace Prize in the past. Clearly, he doesn't know the "oranges" of the prize.

Urmstongran Wed 09-Sep-20 20:22:52

Yep I get it. He’s not in the same class a Obama for style and rhetoric.

But he has other skills that appeal to voters over there.

Let’s no get into a point scoring group fest here. Best if we just agree to disagree.
?

Starblaze Wed 09-Sep-20 20:32:54

Nobody wins Nobel Peace Prizes better than Trump! Believe me, he will win the best Nobel Peace Prize ever and make Obama pay for it! Donald Trump is a man who understands we need global warming because sometimes it's freezing outside! He just starts kissing and grabbing women, it's like a magnet, he's a star so they just let him do it! If Ivanka wasn't his daughter, perhaps he'd be dating her, that's how great of a man he is! The only difference between him and other Nobel Peace Prize candidates, is he is more honest and his women are more beautiful. He's the greatest president God ever created!

I may know far too many Trumpisms.

Alegrias Wed 09-Sep-20 21:04:13

Starblaze grin grin

Iam64 Wed 09-Sep-20 21:28:27

Starblaze - spot on