Gransnet forums

AIBU

To feel sorry for Dominic Raab’s bodyguard?

(46 Posts)
suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 09:49:14

That’s it, I just do.

biba70 Sat 19-Sep-20 22:12:49

oh come on, he is a highly trained professional - no, I do not feel sorry for him at all and it was right he was dismissed.

Deedaa Sat 19-Sep-20 22:09:39

Perhaps he left it behind because he couldn't trust himself not to shoot the idiot himself.

trisher Sat 19-Sep-20 15:27:43

Don't worry sparklingsilver28 by the time one of the security guards found his gun the plane would be landing!! "Now I've searched down the edge of the seat, could it be under it? Hang on I remember going to the loo!"

lemongrove Sat 19-Sep-20 14:56:50

grin Gwyneth

Gwyneth Sat 19-Sep-20 14:54:13

I agree lemongrove re your comment it has nothing to do with the government. Why does everything have to be politicised by certain posters? This is becoming very boring and tedious. I’m just surprised that Boris Johnson hasn’t been personally blamed for this but it’s early days yet!!

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 14:07:03

As lemon says lots of politicians have armed protection and members of the royal family, also former PMs. It used to be the case that even all former NI Secretaries had an armed guard but I don’t know if that’s still true.

Oopsminty Sat 19-Sep-20 13:53:44

sparklingsilver28

Mishap! Dominic Raab. It is against the law to carry a firearm on a British aircraft. Can you imagine what would happen if fired in mid-air. Has Britain really gone crazy!!

It's not illegal in this case

sparklingsilver28 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:51:40

Mishap! Dominic Raab. It is against the law to carry a firearm on a British aircraft. Can you imagine what would happen if fired in mid-air. Has Britain really gone crazy!!

lemongrove Sat 19-Sep-20 13:50:05

It’s normal practise, senior figures in any government get this
Protection.
For obvious reasons sparkling surely?

sparklingsilver28 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:46:27

Why on earth does Dominic Raab’s have an armed guard? For that matter why does any politician?

EllanVannin Sat 19-Sep-20 13:45:34

It's no good unless Raab wears a bullet-proof vest is it----when he's the main target ?

Jayt Sat 19-Sep-20 13:41:20

I wonder why Dominic Raab needs an armed minder...

SueDonim Sat 19-Sep-20 13:36:00

trisher

It's not the first time it has happened- Cameron's body guard left his in a loo on a plane www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51383104
I blame them having to work with a bunch of incompetents it's starting to rub off.

Tbf, Trisher DC’s bodyguard was on trend with his boss, after Cameron left his young daughter in a pub! grin

I feel sorry for the bodyguard in today’s incident in that he/she has messed up their career big time but there’s no space for anyone not up to the job in today’s world and they have to go.

I haven’t seen anything about passports but if it’s true, they should have declined the task if they couldn’t safely do both at once.

Pantglas2 Sat 19-Sep-20 13:30:03

It’s the lapse in focus that is worrying- I don’t understand why he took it off in the first place. If he was to mislay anything, I’d prefer it was the passports rather than the gun!

trisher Sat 19-Sep-20 13:01:57

It's not the first time it has happened- Cameron's body guard left his in a loo on a plane www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51383104
I blame them having to work with a bunch of incompetents it's starting to rub off.

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 12:36:59

Yes, I think I do if he was given another important task to do. Someone else should have been sorting the passports, not him.

Yes, we've all made mistakes.
I can remember two in particular, didn't harm anyone but embarrassing to remember.
Neither involved guns.

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 12:22:21

Xed post Galaxy

suziewoozie Sat 19-Sep-20 12:21:41

Terrible professional mistakes come in all shapes and sizes. Mine didn’t risk or ruin lives but there are plenty of examples where professionals have done exactly this. I would not believe for example any doctor with years of practice who said s/he had never made a dangerous or potentially dangerous mistake. There’s world of difference between Shipman and the examples I’m thinking of.

Galaxy Sat 19-Sep-20 12:21:25

Yes I feel sorry for him. I have made mistakes in my role and managed staff who also made mistakes. I would be highly suspicious of people who say they havent, it's how we react to those mistakes.

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 12:19:22

Whitewavemark2

This government will go down in history,I think, as the most incompetent ever. No other government has come close.

But it wasn't a politician, was it!

It was a member of the PaDP presumably and an authorised Firearms Officer.

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 12:16:58

Obviously the saints on GN think differently.

?

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 12:15:35

How often have you left specs or similar?
Yes, I am still missing a pair of spectacles (different flight).

But a loaded gun?
Well, I always make sure mine's exactly where it should be.

lemongrove Sat 19-Sep-20 12:14:34

suziewoozie

Isn’t it possible to feel sorry for someone who has done something very wrong? You can agree that he pays the price professionally obvs.

Yes, it is suzie and I feel sorry for him too and agree with what you wrote.
Obviously the saints on GN think differently.

Callistemon Sat 19-Sep-20 12:13:55

suziewoozie

I once made a terrible professional mistake I think that’s why.

What, with your gun?

lemongrove Sat 19-Sep-20 12:12:00

Whitewavemark2

This government will go down in history,I think, as the most incompetent ever. No other government has come close.

This has nothing to do with the government, it was a mistake by Raab’s armed bodyguard....but why miss a chance to have a pop ...even at the wrong person.