Gransnet forums

AIBU

If you panic buy loo roll

(92 Posts)
Sallywally1 Thu 24-Sep-20 17:20:47

Can I ask why. I’m curious as Covid does not cause gastro problems and if people are sensible there is a plentiful supply for everyone. I’m not being judge pants, just curious.

Rufus2 Fri 02-Oct-20 13:29:46

Another Bumper Christmas Catalogue has just arrived. The main theme this season is "personalisation" for practically everything, but a brief skim has not turned up toilet paper.

Just think; you could have as many rolls as you like, "personalised" with your worst enemies' names and finish with a Royal Flush!

GillT57 Fri 02-Oct-20 11:15:08

Yes Missfoodlove I agree. I was considering buying "Who gives a crap" but when I found out it was made in China I decided against it. Apart from the air miles concerned, I am trying very hard not to buy anything made in China due to their human rights record. There is plenty of loo paper made in the UK.

Missfoodlove Thu 01-Oct-20 20:02:44

Just checked and my “ sustainable “ loo roll is made in China.
No more “ Who gives a crap for me”
How can that be sustainable?
Andrex is UK made. ?

MrsRochester Wed 30-Sep-20 09:12:39

He could well have been buying for less able friends too.

MrsRochester Wed 30-Sep-20 09:12:06

Craftycat

I do despair at times! If we all take what we need it would all be OK.
I saw an elderly man with 6 x9 rolls coming out yesterday- why do the shops not stop them“

I wouldn’t judge. He may well be in a vulnerable group, the virus is taking off, we’ll be back to the way things were in April in a matter of weeks and he has probably made the decision not to go out again after a final trip to stock up.

Not everyone has access to online shopping or the ability to pop out to the shops once a week.

GillT57 Mon 28-Sep-20 15:40:06

I always have a good stock in the airing cupboard, and buy a pack of 9 every week. We are a family of five adults, and this leaves a few spare each week, thus I build up a stock.

Doodledog Mon 28-Sep-20 15:25:47

There is an ad for Who Gives A Crap appearing at the top of my screen!

Luckygirl Mon 28-Sep-20 14:07:14

I have just taken delivery of one pack of toilet rolls! I feel deeply privileged.

Doodledog Mon 28-Sep-20 13:48:03

Craftycat

I saw an elderly man with 6 x9 rolls coming out yesterday- why do the shops not stop them

Have you read the rest of the thread, and seen the posts where people have explained their various reasons for buying what other people with no knowledge of their circumstances may think is more than they need?

FlexibleFriend Mon 28-Sep-20 11:27:08

I don't panic buy but due to my disability I bulk buy from Amazon for most household things and currently have a pack of 120 loo rolls in the garage.

Craftycat Mon 28-Sep-20 10:25:25

I saw an elderly man with 6 x9 rolls coming out yesterday- why do the shops not stop them

Shropshirelass Mon 28-Sep-20 09:29:06

I had to buy some last week because we needed them. I almost felt like explaining to the lad filling up the shelves that I was not panic buying! I also needed kitchen roll!

Froglady Mon 28-Sep-20 09:27:30

Riversidegirl

Andrex Classic is awful now. Is this why it is piled up for sale everywhere, including B n Q, who don't sell toilet paper?

I always but Andrex Supreme Quilts these days and I like those.

Froglady Mon 28-Sep-20 09:25:50

Spangler

Riversidegirl

Andrex Classic is awful now. Is this why it is piled up for sale everywhere, including B n Q, who don't sell toilet paper?

Can't be as bad as that sandpaper we had at school. Izal I think it was called.

I remember when I was a child that I thought we'd become rich because we had a roll of soft toilet paper rather than the usual Izal! We hadn't but it made a lovely change.

Coolgran65 Mon 28-Sep-20 02:58:27

I always buy a 24 pack of Asda Shades because the larger pack works out cheaper. It is stored in the garage.
Last week, when down to the last two rolls, I bought a pack of 24. Lots in stock. There it sat balanced on top of the trolley in all its glory while I felt very apologetic and that I should have a sign saying.... honestly I’ve only got two rolls at home !!

Spangler Sun 27-Sep-20 23:43:52

Riversidegirl

Can't be as bad as that sandpaper we had at school. Izal I think it was called.

OceanMama Sun 27-Sep-20 23:34:03

TrendyNannie6

I think even when supermarkets were putting a limit on toilet roll purchasing families were splitting up and going to different checkouts and getting packs of whatever the limit was, I know that for a fact as I know one family that did this, and quite blatantly said they will go round different supermarkets and carry on, some people just have no shame,

If you have a large family, this might be necessary. Unfortunately the limits are the same whether you have a family of 2 or 10. Great for the family with 2 but it leaves the larger family short.

Also, families with autistic children (or even adults) who survive on the same staple food most of the time aren't going to lose their sensory aversions and eat something else just because they have used their limit. We might be able to do that, but some people can't so you do what you need to do.

coastiepostie Sun 27-Sep-20 22:17:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

kwest Sun 27-Sep-20 21:56:38

For me loo roll shortage is non-negotiable. I think any good housekeeper ( which most of us are) is negligent if she/he leaves getting adequate supplies to chance. We were locked down the first time around and ordered loo rolls and extra large thick kitchen rolls to use as hand towels online in bulk. I will make sure this time around that my freezer is full, basic tinned foods are in the cupboards and toiletries and cleaning products will last for three months, I will replace stocks as they run down. We could not get a supermarket slot for three months last time and thankfully were adequately looked after with deliveries from local stores and the market but prices were really high. I will not be caught out again by holding back instead of making sure I have adequate supplies in rather than being held to ransom by having to pay huge premiums just to be politically correct.

Doodledog Sun 27-Sep-20 19:25:11

When there is, or is talk of rationing, people will buy as much as they think they might need in case they can’t get it when they do need it.

I don’t drive, and my nearest supermarket is miles away. I have had groceries delivered for years, but when the last lockdown kicked in and the numbers of people wanting delivery slots soared, I struggled for a while.

I couldn’t do click and collect, and as long as there were limits on the numbers of items I couldn’t ask anyone to pick up extras for me. I didn’t need loo rolls, but if I had I would have bought more than others might have thought I ‘needed’.

It’s easy to say that people should do x or y, but unless they know their circumstances (not just think they do) it’s not anyone’s place to comment on others.

wetflannel Sun 27-Sep-20 19:05:09

Panic buying has already started in our only supermarket Morrisons. Couldn't believe my eyes when we were shopping the other day. What is the matter with people, if they didn't panic buy there would be plenty for everyone.

TrendyNannie6 Sun 27-Sep-20 17:42:01

I think even when supermarkets were putting a limit on toilet roll purchasing families were splitting up and going to different checkouts and getting packs of whatever the limit was, I know that for a fact as I know one family that did this, and quite blatantly said they will go round different supermarkets and carry on, some people just have no shame,

earnshaw Sun 27-Sep-20 16:42:38

i dont get it, we were shielded in march , eventually managed to get a supermarket slot for home delivery, so anyone who cant leave home just get a home delivery, you can then order your normal supply of toilet rolls, no need to run out

Riversidegirl Sun 27-Sep-20 16:10:28

Kim19 Sun 27-Sep-20 16:06:14

Jj, thank you. It was a last resort but I didn't put that info into the equation. Ignorance is not always bliss, eh?!