Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry another mask rant

(124 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 01-Oct-20 09:31:07

Boris Johnson's dad seen shopping without a mask. His excuse that's he's been abroad for a couple of weeks! How long has mask wearing been compulsory - more than a couple of weeks, and what is more, decent people have been using them for many months out of consideration for others. If Mr Johnson Senior is not fined, (a la Mr (s)Cummings' exemption) , then what is that saying to the British people? I also sincerely hope that the bit of 'abroad' he's been in didn't require quarantine on return, or is he disregarding that as well? Sorry for the rant, having a bad day over all of this bl**dy covid situation.

Gingergirl Thu 01-Oct-20 10:26:27

Agree with you @Americanpie. I’ve also forgotten on occasion. However, more significantly I think, Jeremy Corbyn went off to a dinner party for nine people....not sure what he’d forgotten about it all?! Hard to keep motivated when well known people don’t bother.

Pantglas2 Thu 01-Oct-20 10:28:22

Can we add ooh Jeremy Corbyn to the list of badly behaved betters? Dining out in large group ( but he has apologised!)

whogoesthere Thu 01-Oct-20 10:35:49

I tried to go into TKmax without a mask last week as I was just passing by, I was stopped by the security guard and was not allowed in, it didn't matter, so how did he get away with it- as others have said one rule for them, and one rule for us the general public.

eazybee Thu 01-Oct-20 10:35:51

Boris Johnson's father does not wear a mask; he is a fool.

However, the Prime Minister cannot control his actions, any more than we can control the actions of our parents.

Are we held responsible for them?

4allweknow Thu 01-Oct-20 10:38:47

I was in one of the cheap and cheerful bargain stores. Encountered 4 adults, definitely in 20s/30s all shopping together. None had a mask on. Doubted if all four had health conditions preventing mask wearing but law permits this, unfortunately.

Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 01-Oct-20 10:45:27

Sorry about ranting and raising this again but despite abhorring wearing a face covering I do so, got extremely hot and uncomfortable in the 2 quick shop visits I couldn't avoid doing yesterday, and been in tears this morning at the prospect of the much longer supermarket shop I can't avoid today. I'm usually pretty resilient to things but having been on tenterhooks this week awaiting the PM's update (dreading a further lockdown), I think I've arrived at overload today. Hopefully I'll be back to normal tomorrow.

Theoddbird Thu 01-Oct-20 10:48:41

If you are going to post about Johnson senior why not post about all the others not wearing masks. I find it quite childish to pick on someone just because of who his son is.

Barmeyoldbat Thu 01-Oct-20 10:49:13

Everyone around here seems to wearing masks, even when out walking along the street. I am now only shopping in our local Waitrose as they have security on the door, wiping the trolleys/baskets before you use them and allows no-one in without a mask. As for Stanley he is an idiot and self centred like his son.

JenniferEccles Thu 01-Oct-20 11:10:34

Yes Waitrose is very vigilant with sanitising trolleys and ensuring every customer wears a mask.

We can all forget at times though, especially if we are in a hurry. I have on occasion been scrabbling frantically in my bag hunting for the mask once I am inside a shop.

Boris Johnson’s father should be especially wary though, knowing that there could well be a photographer lurking ready to snap him, as happened here.

MBM Thu 01-Oct-20 11:15:29

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

jaylucy Thu 01-Oct-20 11:15:50

So the fact that he has been overseas makes him exempt ?
Surely the mask wearing was at the very least advised before he went , if not actually compulsory 2 weeks ago?
Does he not either read the newspaper or talk to his son ??
But seeing as his son was visiting my area a few days ago neither wearing a mask or social distancing ( and come to think of it, neither were most of the people he was talking to)maybe the whole family are exempt!

EmilyHarburn Thu 01-Oct-20 11:26:25

I have recently travelled to Greece for 25 days as my holiday was cancelled but not my flights. I decided not to go to the Island where the holiday was cancelled and to get my agent to get a voucher for next year for these internal flights. I stayed in a B&B villa with 4 beds and swimming pool 10 minutes from Athens airport. Perfect. Flight out with Easyjet goo. Filled in form with QR code for the Greeks. Flight back on Easyjet well organised, I did mobility impaired wheel chair. Waited at gate etc. Flight nearly full but careful boarding and disembarkation. - one row at a time from the front. We had all filled in a passenger locator form with a QR Code. English border control advised no need to quarantine. Its nearly 2 weeks since I returned and no one has rung me to say anyone on the plane had covid. So I am very glad I went and had a peaceful time in the sunshine, reading and swimming etc. My morale is much improved and I feel better able to cope with oncoming winter. Staysure insured me and I paid extra to keep a valid insurance, incase the foreign office gave the trip an adverse travel advice notice.

Sarnia Thu 01-Oct-20 11:30:38

Stanley has a track record of doing exactly what he wants. When the country was being told about not travelling to Greece he went by a circuitous route to Athens to check on his holiday home. With regards to the face mask he says he isn't 100% up to speed with what the rules are. It must run in the family.

Sarnia Thu 01-Oct-20 11:31:43

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

MayBee70 Thu 01-Oct-20 11:40:46

Theoddbird

If you are going to post about Johnson senior why not post about all the others not wearing masks. I find it quite childish to pick on someone just because of who his son is.

It’s all about setting an example is it not. He’s also the one who said he’d carry on going to the pub when his son was telling everyone not to (this was before he then told everyone it was their duty to go to the pub). Mixed messages are the lifeblood of virus transmission in this country.

AlfiesGM Thu 01-Oct-20 11:41:47

I’m in Wales. I was in Morrison’s yesterday and every single person, old and young, had a mask on. I’m very pleased to see this, decent people are doing their best to comply here!

felice Thu 01-Oct-20 11:45:42

2 young Women came into the bar where I go to the pub quiz on Monday night.
The system is quite strict, a table is set in front of the entrance with a hand sanitiser stand, first hands then sign in with email or phone number.
The girls swanned past without masks, told to sign in and put masks on, "ohhhh we don't have masks" in English !!!! offered them from the staff, giggled and tried to keep walking, stopped again still refused, politely asked to leave, chucked out !!
Told they were banned and the CC tv would be checked.
They stood outside in the rain with their phones whilst the staff got light applause.
No nonsense here.

Diggingdoris Thu 01-Oct-20 11:49:41

I'm asthmatic and I wear a mask if I have to go in a shop, but after about five minutes I am so short of breath I have to take it off for a while. So please don't criticize anyone for not wearing one, unless you know their reason.

Lucca Thu 01-Oct-20 12:05:16

EllanVannin

If I'd have had my way things would have come to a complete halt in March for 3 months solid. I mean everything.
We wouldn't have all this nonsense now.
A virus has to be contained and it hasn't happened here.

Totally agree
IMO lockdown wasn’t lockdown. This thing about us being a freedom loving nation is nonsense. Many. Countries love freedom but this was a case of needs must.

TerriBull Thu 01-Oct-20 12:07:14

Yes good point polnan.

Recently went for a mammogram, strict procedures in place, was told to replace my cloth mask with disposable one.

widgeon3 Thu 01-Oct-20 12:12:15

Did no-one else see the report from the opticians association, that 20% of the people who visit them are severely incapacitated by wearing a mask. They suffer from dry eye or other similar complaints and any warm moist air inadvertantly directed upwards by the mask, causes severe eye irritation.
I am one of the shielded ones with a very complex eye condition. The day after the first time I went out wearing my mask I had such severe pain from the induced inflammation that I was taken to A&E
Thanks to mask wearing, the eyes now seem to be sensitized to any changes in humidity and temperature and flare up very frequently, even now by the hot fumes from cooking. Wearing ski goggles is sometimes useful here
Please do not castigate everyone who does not wear a mask. I last wore one to go to a supermarket last week and am still suffering from after effects. I was stopped by someone in store and asked' why no mask'. she laughed scornfully when I said I had removed it momentarily because of my eyes.
No delivery slots have been available although a son-in-law stayed up overnight to try to book one for me. After several days on the phone to a couple of large supermarkets I got no further forward by myself either.
Because of my auto-immune condition, my consultant insists I continue to wear a mask. Her back is, therefore covered and I am left taking the ,maximum dose of analgesics
Busy neighbours have helped but they have their own families and problems
Any suggestions?

mokryna Thu 01-Oct-20 12:12:24

I am asthmatic but I do wear a mask. I have to because of my job. I found it was easier to breathe with the disposable paper one as they are thinner.
Also, before, to get used to wearing them, I wore one while watching tv to get over the feeling of being suffocated which I used to suffer from
My daughter in the NHS has to wear one for her 8/12 hour shifts, she also has asthma and now has spots wear the mask is worn, through wear a mask all the time.

LinkyPinky Thu 01-Oct-20 12:16:36

For goodness sake, people, just wear a mask. If you find it uncomfortable,, wait till you try a ventilator.

19Maria61 Thu 01-Oct-20 12:29:54

Hi GoldD
I believe Mr J senior should be fined because he broke the rules and not because he is BJs father. If he is fined it might be a good idea for us to report everyone else we see breaking the rules!

NotSpaghetti Thu 01-Oct-20 12:32:26

widgeon I suggest you look at the masks which are very close fitting.
I have one only that I can wear with my glasses without steaming up.
You will probably have to pay a premium but I was exhausted trying to shop with others so to me it was worth it. I did buy two others ahead of this one but expect masks will be with us for some time.