Gransnet forums

AIBU

Sorry another mask rant

(124 Posts)
Growing0ldDisgracefully Thu 01-Oct-20 09:31:07

Boris Johnson's dad seen shopping without a mask. His excuse that's he's been abroad for a couple of weeks! How long has mask wearing been compulsory - more than a couple of weeks, and what is more, decent people have been using them for many months out of consideration for others. If Mr Johnson Senior is not fined, (a la Mr (s)Cummings' exemption) , then what is that saying to the British people? I also sincerely hope that the bit of 'abroad' he's been in didn't require quarantine on return, or is he disregarding that as well? Sorry for the rant, having a bad day over all of this bl**dy covid situation.

Pilgrim Fri 02-Oct-20 01:03:34

In surgery, masks are to protect the patient from bacteria entering their body. Also, to protect medical personnel from getting "splashed" with the patient's bacteria. I have read, from a doctor, that a virus is much smaller than bacteria, so minuscule that wearing a mask to protect from it is like building a chain link fence to keep out mosquitoes. Sure, it will block larger particles, as from a cough or sneeze, but it may be giving a false sense of security. Maintain the distance, wash hands, and keep hands out of eyes and body orifices beforehand. But stop the mask shaming. BTW, I am in the "older" category and exercise these reasonable cautions.

Lucca Fri 02-Oct-20 05:35:36

Such a fuss. Just wear the bloody mask. Unless you plan to spend hours in the shops how bad can it be ?
Quite a lot of people talk about how much worse things were during the war and then moan about wearing a mask.

LinkyPinky Fri 02-Oct-20 06:30:04

‘Maintain the distance, wash hands, and keep hands out of eyes and body orifices beforehand. But stop the mask shaming. BTW, I am in the "older" category and exercise these reasonable cautions.‘ - from ‘Pilgrim’, based on something he/she read!

NO. Bad advice. Do not follow the advice of some unqualified person who has read an article. Follow the advice from the people who have synthesised evidence from scientific studies in peer-reviewed journals,. Advice like this is dangerous. As Luca says, just wear the bloody mask. WEAR THE MASK!

MrsRochester Fri 02-Oct-20 07:28:06

suziewoozie

MrsRochester you are repeating the original lie about Diane Abbot which I reported and was deleted. . She was NOT there - and I don’t know what the motivation of MBM was in posting a lie in the first place. DA is one of the most abused politicians on social media and it’s bloody disgusting that GN joins in this abuse like this. I’m reporting your post and if you’d read the tread, you’d have seen that I said DA wasn’t there.“

I can only apologise. I was foolishly responding to a previous post which I took as read, without checking.
A lesson learned and I shan’t make the same mistake again. Quite right to report.

Marydoll Fri 02-Oct-20 07:38:28

Mrs Rochester, how refreshing to read the last part of your post, when I was despairing of all the unpleasantness on GN.?

suziewoozie Fri 02-Oct-20 07:53:46

Thanks MrsR. However I have to say that for some posters, some facts are seen as optional. They are usually on the right. DA is subject to so much vile abuse on SM. She receives over half of all the abuse female MPs receive. Whatever anyone thinks of her politics, that’s not right. The person who posted the original lie seems to have disappeared. If it had been true, it would have been all over MSM and SM but the only reference I’ve seen is here. Believing anything you read about DA makes you part of the problem. ( you in the general sense).

suziewoozie Fri 02-Oct-20 07:54:47

Marydoll do you despair of the original lie?

MrsRochester Fri 02-Oct-20 07:55:53

Yes, you’re right.

Marydoll Fri 02-Oct-20 08:05:03

Suziewoozie, we tend to move indifferent circles on GN, so you may not know where I am coming from. ?

I'm despairing about the amount of unpleasantness throughout GN at the moment and the lack of consistency in moderation.

My comment was a response to the fact that a poster admitted to making a mistake, you don't get that very often on GN these days.
The fact that he/she didn't bother read the whole thread is a totally different matter altogether.

suziewoozie Fri 02-Oct-20 08:16:40

Mary I think people are so willing to believe anything about DA - it’s easy to post the original lie as MBM did and for others to jump on the bandwagon. We are part of the problem when we just believe anything about her. As for moderation,I agree. Some petty low level ‘personal attacks’ are deleted very quickly but there’s a much more insidious type of personal attack that goes on under the radar.

Marydoll Fri 02-Oct-20 08:37:28

suziewoozie ??

Joesoap Fri 02-Oct-20 15:30:04

I am really sad today as I cancelled my Dental appointment which I really was looking forward to they are all so lovely there it was in Liverpool where at the moment the virus is worse than any other place in the UK I decided it wasnt worth the risk of a train journey get the virus then be in Quarantine. I would have adhered to the rules mask hand saniriser washing hands as often as possible but the risk was too great I am afraid I an so down today and hate what this virus is doing to us, it is terrorism in a different way. I hope I feel happier tomorrow.I am here for a month in my home in Cumbria live in Sweden where there arent many rules and somehow things seem fine despite no masks.Its a strange world we live in!

MayBee70 Fri 02-Oct-20 23:15:18

Why do you say things are fine in Sweden?

Sawsage2 Fri 02-Oct-20 23:21:53

Should be big notices up in all shops, 'No mask, No entry. No excuse!'

blondenana Sat 03-Oct-20 12:39:27

I have reported the takeaway ,where no one even staff were wearing a mask ,to Environmental health and the lady i spoke to said thank you i did the right thing

alchemilla Mon 05-Oct-20 20:37:01

Sorry chaps. Had an eye op the other day and for two weeks Im not supposed to wear a mask since it can affect the eye. I have a letter from the hospital but rather than wait for the tuts and have to show it I've taken the decision not to go into shops. I'm lucky to have family to shop for me.

I have noticed even minor stores being more careful.

alchemilla Tue 06-Oct-20 15:46:51

Another one who is forbidden to wear a mask after eye surgery for a fortnight. I do have people who can get things for me but got the odd eye roll when I was walking back into hospital for a check. I carry the hospital letter to show anyone enquiring but it's clearly not visible.

Lucca Tue 06-Oct-20 16:28:52

Could you wear a visor instead ?

BlueSky Tue 06-Oct-20 18:29:02

I’ve always thought masks helps together with all the other precautions. If you can’t wear them because of medical reasons then fine, don’t worry about people disapproving glances or as Lucca said try a visor. After all most people are only in shops half hour/an hour. Feel for people who need to wear them most of the day because of their job, now that must be damn uncomfortable!

varian Tue 06-Oct-20 19:16:41

I think that all of those who cannot tolerate wearing a mask for medical reasons should be issued either with badges or plastic cards like credit cards to show anyone who challenges them, but if they possibly can, these folk should avoid entering shops and other indoor public spaces.

Kamiso Tue 06-Oct-20 19:20:40

Beginning to wonder if he is deliberately embarrassing his son just because he can. Nasty bully wife beater.

suziewoozie Tue 06-Oct-20 19:21:51

varian I agree. It’s tough if you are exempt but it was tough for the shielded. The vast majority of exempt people ( I accept not all) could find other solutions - online, friends, family, reducing number of trips, going at very quiet times. Could they not at least put a light scarf loosely across - not perfect but better than nothing.

MissAdventure Tue 06-Oct-20 19:54:56

The people I support wear lanyards which state they're exempt.
Available from the doctor.