Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think the job of supermarkets is to sell groceries?

(88 Posts)
flopen Sun 04-Oct-20 14:41:20

Sainsbury's have tweeted that they are supporting Black History Month and that anyone who disapproves is welcome to shop elsewhere.
I prefer my supermarkets to stick to selling groceries, not virtue signal.

Lucca Tue 06-Oct-20 17:21:13

Nanna8. May I ask if you are BAME ? I am not and I therefore would not dream of claiming there is no problem with racism or discrimination

aquagran Tue 06-Oct-20 16:57:32

Nanna8

So wrong!

Summerlove Tue 06-Oct-20 16:37:42

nanna8

Too much obsession with race when there are no problems anyway. Who cares ? We are all human beings.

Oh dear. No problems?

Callistemon Tue 06-Oct-20 09:37:13

What is their ethnicity pay gap?

PamelaJ1 Tue 06-Oct-20 08:54:03

This is from their website.
I can’t see that they are doing anything that they shouldn’t already have been been doing .

nanna8 Tue 06-Oct-20 04:36:47

Too much obsession with race when there are no problems anyway. Who cares ? We are all human beings.

lilypollen Mon 05-Oct-20 22:20:28

Tee Hee! Just gone onto Facebook and The Black Farmer pops up in the news feed! Big Brother knows what we do!!

Desdemona Mon 05-Oct-20 20:16:10

In my local Sainsburys ( a small store but bigger than a 'convenience' store - I have not seen a single black employee in all the years I have been going there.

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 20:00:25

I've just had a look and the Black Farmer sells a wide range online too. I expect you'd have to order quite a lot to make it cost-effective postage wise.

Callistemon Mon 05-Oct-20 19:58:41

an article in the Guardian about a producer called The Black Farmer, whose range they’re promoting.
I always used to buy his sausages, they're very good, but haven't seen them for quite a long while; Tesco used to sell them too and a range from Debbie and Andrew.

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Oct-20 19:31:07

Though the only one I can see on the Sainsbury’s website doesn’t.

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Oct-20 19:28:27

The packs are going to have pictures of black heroes on for Black History Month.

lilypollen Mon 05-Oct-20 18:36:11

Black Farmer has been going for years. His sausages are excellent and I've often bought them. No big deal, he's successful through his endeavour and I believe his neighbours used to refer to him as the black farmer, so he used that as his brand.

Maggiemaybe Mon 05-Oct-20 18:12:46

I don’t know. I’ve only seen a statement saying they have a number of activities planned instore and online, and an article in the Guardian about a producer called The Black Farmer, whose range they’re promoting.

PamelaJ1 Mon 05-Oct-20 17:27:05

I asked what they were actually doing in my previous post on page one.
Are they just saying that they support Black History month or have they actually decided to do something differently?

suziewoozie Mon 05-Oct-20 16:41:42

Why would shopping be different because a shop supports BHM. Is the shopping different because it supports the poppy appeal?

ValerieF Mon 05-Oct-20 16:39:19

So (serious question) what are Sainsbury's doing differently? Words are words - is there any difference to shopping there?

Got black and mixed in extended family and even they don't know what it is all about. Maybe because they are all 2nd/3rd generation Brits and never been treated any differently? Not sure but they hate all this. Feel it is pointing the finger at them that they never felt before.

suziewoozie Mon 05-Oct-20 16:23:58

Btw my local Sainsburys has an excellent reputation for employing staff with a range of disabilities ( I must live in one of the whitest areas in the UK)

suziewoozie Mon 05-Oct-20 16:22:41

I think Sainsburys were bring proactive - getting in before the inevitable Twitter storm of those who wanted to proclaim they are boycotting Sainsburys for being inclusive. But there are two issues here - the rather silly criticism of Sainsburys for not just selling groceries and secondly the words about shopping elsewhere ( which isn’t a silly opinion)
When I stopped shopping at M and S because of their changing room policy, although they didn’t use the words ‘well shop elsewhere’ they did in fact imply that when I emailed them. Most of us can choose between different retailers and equally retailers are free to support whatever legal cause they wish.

lilypollen Mon 05-Oct-20 15:29:16

The Tesco Superstore I go to is very inclusive though I've never thought about it till Sainsburys decided to make an issue of it. It is simply well-manged and employees there give very good service to all and especially since March lockdown. Waitrose is near and 2 locosts and Asda are alternatives so Sainsburys can be avoided.

25Avalon Mon 05-Oct-20 15:05:03

LadyHD I said UKBLM and what I dislike about critical race theory is that people are being forced to take it or lose their jobs. That doesn’t seem like freedom of speech to me and plenty of BAME people agree.

paddyanne Mon 05-Oct-20 14:32:11

I've boycotted produce from certain countries for years ,it annoys me when they print where it comes from so small I cant see it without my specs .I must say I long for the return of Malcolm Campbells where everything was loose and the name and origin written in huge letters on the front of the shelf.
I did return several items yesterday when my delivery from Morrisons arrived but the delivery man knew I wouldn't accept them before I told him.I know Israel is supported by many on here but I support the Palestinian cause and hate the persecution visited on these people by their invaders.Politics and Supermarkets isn't new ,its just largely ignored by most

LadyHonoriaDedlock Mon 05-Oct-20 14:07:17

25Avalon, when you say you don't approve of BLM and Critical Race Theory, do you mean you don't approve of them and believe they shouldn't exist, or do you mean you disagree with them? The latter is fine, the former is very iffy in terms of free speech!

There's really no need to engage with Critical Theory of any kind unless you're an academic working in the social sciences. It's just a tool for analysing the way society works.

25Avalon Mon 05-Oct-20 13:32:33

Although I didn’t realise it Black History month has been going for many years. I saw nothing offensive in Sainsbury’s tweet and didn’t really understand why Lawrence Fox was so anti. I don’t approve of U.K. BLM and Critical Race Theory, and I don’t approve of giving jobs to people solely because they are black as that is plain insulting. We need to make sure the opportunities are there for all to achieve their potential and be their best whatever race or colour, and more importantly to accept that so we achieve true inclusion.

I see a black barrister who has problems with people thinking she can’t possibly be a barrister because she is black. I had to chuckle as she was able to put them right. Annoying for her though. I remember when I was the boss of a section at work anyone visiting always headed for the blokes as boss because as a woman I must be the secretary.

Chewbacca Mon 05-Oct-20 13:20:41

This is from 2018, so is maybe out of date now but:

Here at VERCIDA we conducted research to find out how our clients are tackling BAME in the workplace. Who is going the extra mile to ensure equality, opportunity and fair treatment for all, irrespective of race. Here are our top 10 BAME-Inclusive Employers of 2018.

10. Sainsbury's
9. Crown Prosecution Service
8. Lloyds Bank
7. Royal Mail
6. Cabinet Office
5. BBC
4. Reed Smith
3. Bank of England
2. Sky
1. UK Athletics