Gransnet forums

AIBU

To think the job of supermarkets is to sell groceries?

(87 Posts)
flopen Sun 04-Oct-20 14:41:20

Sainsbury's have tweeted that they are supporting Black History Month and that anyone who disapproves is welcome to shop elsewhere.
I prefer my supermarkets to stick to selling groceries, not virtue signal.

GagaJo Sun 04-Oct-20 14:43:45

Good for Sainsbury's. We need more public recognition, wherever it comes from.

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 14:45:26

Not sure why this upsets you ? It doesn’t affect you being able to buy your groceries but As they say, you can always shop elsewhere.
Good for Sainsbury’s standing up to be counted,

Deedaa Sun 04-Oct-20 14:45:45

Do you feel the same about supermarkets supporting Comic Relief and Children in Need?

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 14:46:02

Snap gagajo

grannyactivist Sun 04-Oct-20 14:55:57

Supermarkets have always supported lots of different events and charities.

If their support of the Black Lives Matter offends people then the supermarket is being proactive in reminding customers they may choose to shop elsewhere.

Why do you think they shouldn't have pointed this out?

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 14:59:10

So anyone supporting a cause or raiding money for a good cause is automatically Virtue signalling ?
Supermarkets must just sell groceries?
Schools must just educate .?
Choirs must just sing ?

janeainsworth Sun 04-Oct-20 15:12:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 15:17:33

I’m confused. Tweet talks about Black history month. Is that the same as Black lives matter ?

Galaxy Sun 04-Oct-20 15:18:07

I would be very interested in sainsburys management structure, I wonder how well represented BAME people are in that structure. I tend to think statements like that are very easy to produce, it's the work behind the scenes that is more difficult.

sodapop Sun 04-Oct-20 15:19:22

I agree janeainsworth I think this is a somewhat different thing from supporting a charity more of a political statement. The last sentence doesn't sit well with me.

GagaJo Sun 04-Oct-20 15:28:06

Black Lives Matter is a newish thing.

Black History Month is not.

There is a current drive for UK education to be more inclusive of all aspects of British History. Not just the successful or sanitised bits.

I see poppies in supermarkets, Pudsey Bear and good, now Black HISTORY Month (not black lives matter).

It's inclusivity.

janeainsworth Sun 04-Oct-20 15:28:28

janeainsworth Sun 04-Oct-20 15:32:37

janeainsworth Sun 04-Oct-20 15:37:06

I’ve asked for my comments to be deleted as they are clearly inaccurate.

grannyactivist Sun 04-Oct-20 16:05:43

Sorry, I too have posted about Black Lives matter when I meant to say Black History Month - I was interrupted whilst writing.

Maggiemaybe Sun 04-Oct-20 16:12:57

Hmm. I think I’d be a little more inclined to support that slightly aggressive attitude if Sainsbury's management reflected our diverse society.

www.about.sainsburys.co.uk/about-us/our-management

Lucca Sun 04-Oct-20 16:16:17

So Sainsbury’s are supporting black history month yes ?
Fine by me

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 16:28:33

That's fine by me if they wish to support Black History Month if it's a charity.

But I do take issue with their second paragraph which more or less says - if you don't like it you can bugger off elsewhere.
That is rather offensive.

Yes, Galaxy, I'd be more impressed if I saw more black people working in our nearest Sainsbury's and I'd be interested to see a portfolio of their managers.

Anyway, we can't go there, they are in a lockdown area.
They're not my favourite supermarket; I'm avoiding them because they could not give me a priority slot and were very offhand about it.

glammanana Sun 04-Oct-20 16:30:27

Well done to Sainsburys I applaud them.

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 16:36:38

I saw this online:

As Black History Month draws to a close, Sainsbury's and Argos colleagues across the UK have had a fantastic time celebrating this special month of observance together. A tradition that started in the US, this annual celebration has been adopted by the UK to shine the spotlight on and celebrate black history and culture as well as the contribution of those with Africa, Caribbean or Asian descent.

1st August 2017

So this is nothing new.

It's their rather rude 2nd paragraph which is off putting.
Do they quiz customers at the door?

Callistemon Sun 04-Oct-20 16:45:14

I don't think they're raising money but raising awareness.

Greyduster Sun 04-Oct-20 16:56:08

I think I’d like my awareness raised with a little more courtesy.

Chewbacca Sun 04-Oct-20 16:58:25

I'm an infrequent customer of Sainsbury's but I'm very glad to see they've pinned their flag to the mast in raising awareness of Black History Month; Like others, I'm not entirely sure that the 2nd, rather confrontational, paragraph was necessary though. They might just as well as have said "like it or lump it", which doesn't help those who need to have more awareness of the campaign come onboard.

Doodledog Sun 04-Oct-20 17:32:11

I don't know much about Black History Month, but I can't see how it can be offensive, particularly in the context of a supermarket. What are they doing to support it? If it's suggesting recipes or something, where's the harm? It can be difficult to join in things like this without accusations of tokenism, but if they are donating money to schools or community projects that celebrate Black History, that sounds good to me.

On the whole, I think that Black History should be integrated into 'history' when it comes to the curriculum, though. I read something by David Olusoga recently, and he pointed out that he learned about the Industrial Evolution at school, but it was all about mechanisation of cotton production, and not about who had picked the cotton or the families who made a fortune out of the people picking the cotton. That is pretty much exactly what my experience of history was like. I think if the curriculum expanded a bit to include the fuller picture there would be no need to separate Black History, which could be divisive and present black people as 'other'. Until that happens, though (and to be fair, maybe it has - it's a long time since either DO or I were at school) then anything that encourages inclusivity is a good thing.