Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want a tattoo

(354 Posts)
EthelTheTank Wed 07-Oct-20 13:15:18

I'd love a tattoo but at the tender age of 73 I don't know if I'd be able to suit one. My son Sherman thinks it is an awful idea for me to get a tattoo but I can't help feeling like I'm missing out. What are your opinions on tattoos? Should I go for it?

MissAdventure Thu 08-Oct-20 23:39:33

Have you seen the ones that look as if the skin is open with machinery inside? They're amazing, but horrible.

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 08-Oct-20 23:42:50

Hello, just a reminder to all that troll hunting is not allowed on Gransnet. If you have concerns please report them to us instead of making accusations on the thread. And please stop for a minute and consider how people may feel being accused of being a troll when they aren't. Thank you flowers

Deni1963 Thu 08-Oct-20 23:43:31

Do it! I've 4 and am having a 5th. There not tacky but apart of me that tell my story.
I'm 56 x

Callistemon Thu 08-Oct-20 23:45:59

I'm beginning to feel queasy!
Eyeballs, open machinery.

moon

sparklingsilver28 Fri 09-Oct-20 00:16:13

EthelTheTank - Join the club.

Discovered if someone chooses to interpret or misinterpret your post, and as a means of closing down what they disagree with complains, Gransnet will simple delete your post regardless of the rights/wrongs of the issue.

sparklingsilver28 Fri 09-Oct-20 00:31:14

*LaraGransnet - And please stop for a minute and consider how people may feel being accused of being a troll when they aren't.*

What is the difference between this and being accused of being a racist and xenophobic when you are not?

Chewbacca Fri 09-Oct-20 00:34:38

Eyeballs tattooed. Yuk

LuluD Fri 09-Oct-20 01:50:35

Go for it! If it brings you happiness then I’m all for it xx

wondergran Fri 09-Oct-20 06:08:47

Go for it.....

Spangler Fri 09-Oct-20 07:28:23

Nannyjulesrules Thu 08-Oct-20 18:56:22
I love your wife's tattoo,*Spangler*! Are you a fan of 'What We Do in the Shadows'?
Had to Google: "What We Do in the Shadows." How out of touch am I? If ever there's a witchy thread I will share a story that sealed her reputation as a witch.

Before she retired from the NHS my wife saw a patient whom she described as Goth or maybe Punk. The young woman had many tattoos and body piercings, she also had her hair dyed green.

In the surgery under sedation. I had better explain, the patient had severe abdominal pains, probably appendix, so, in the surgery it was discovered that, how shall I put it? The carpet matches the drapes. Her pubic hair was dyed the same green has the hair on her head. On her abdomen was a tattoo of a notice board, on which was the inscription:
"Keep Off The Grass!" The surgeon, not being devoid of humour, wrote, using a surgical pen: "Sorry, we had to mow the lawn."

EthelTheTank Fri 09-Oct-20 08:21:06

Oh I saw the teacher on This Morning with Phil and Holly who was tattooed from head to toe, even his eyeballs. It sounded like a very painful process.

DawgsMammy Fri 09-Oct-20 08:29:18

EtheltheTank, go ahead and do what you want to do. About 3 years ago, at the age of 66, I had my first (and to date, only) tattoo. It's almost a complete sleeve with 2 of my dogs' faces and beautiful flowers surrounding them in glorious colours. When my sons (now in the 30s and 40s) were teenagers I used to say "Don't you ever get tattooed - you'll never get a job!" etc. Now I'm the only one the family with a tattoo ? I have no regrets. Do what you want to do, girl x

Clancy01 Fri 09-Oct-20 08:32:52

I agree, go for it. It's no body's business but your own. If it makes you feel good then that's all that counts. I'm 63 and I'm going to get one as soon as I can.

Vickysponge Fri 09-Oct-20 08:56:37

I agree with all positive comments - if you want to get one it’s up to you. The small ones can look quite tasteful. But whatever you decide it’s your business.?

lemongrove Fri 09-Oct-20 09:30:38

EthelTheTank

Tedd1, where would you get it?

At Dodgy Den’s down the dock of course, where else?
Nobody is more tasteful than wot I am.
And yes, there is a discount....of a sort.wink

Lucca Fri 09-Oct-20 10:21:45

sparklingsilver28

^*LaraGransnet - And please stop for a minute and consider how people may feel being accused of being a troll when they aren't.*^

What is the difference between this and being accused of being a racist and xenophobic when you are not?

Good point! Or of being a Republican/loony leftie....

Callistemon Fri 09-Oct-20 10:53:58

Can I unsee a post, Chewbacca?

shock

EthelTheTank Fri 09-Oct-20 12:25:02

Thank you to the people who left positive comments

felice Fri 09-Oct-20 13:28:26

I have a small one on my right back shoulder, Lion Rampant. DD and SIL have a lot, DD got them as she had come of a horse when she was younger, right into a thorn bush. She had deep scratches all up her left arm.
She got so fed up of the sympathetic glances and comments sometimes not so nice that she had them tattooed. Orchids they look lovely.
She has had mental health problems in the past and too many people started asking too many questions.
Go for it, it is your body, good luck.

boodymum67 Fri 09-Oct-20 15:34:45

Missing out on what? Pain, soreness possible side effects?

Having said that, it`s your skin, your body and your money.

Do what YOU want and blow what we or anyone else says.
Have you got a design in mind?

boodymum67 Fri 09-Oct-20 15:37:57

Wouldn't you think tattooing your eyeballs would cause damage in some way? Rather him than me, but then it is his business.

Comments will come, positive and negative if you post on a forum or go on telly.

Brismum Fri 09-Oct-20 15:45:09

Go for it. At 74 I should love a small elephant on my shoulder but fear the wrath of my nurse daughter and doctor son in law ? Let us know what and when you have it done.?

Calender37 Fri 09-Oct-20 16:03:32

Over the years I have often thought about having a very tiny tatoo like a butterfly,forget me knot or rose bud but that said never had the courage. Have to say that some of the art work is beautiful but I do wonder how anyone might feel when their skin is very old and wrinkled - be it male or female.

MissAdventure Fri 09-Oct-20 17:36:57

Every part gets wrinkles and none of it looks so great, but I have never recoiled in horror at a wrinkly tattoo on someone. It's the same skin, same wrinkles, just a different colour.

happycatholicwife1 Fri 09-Oct-20 17:48:25

I can't fathom ever getting a tat. It seems a temporary distraction for unhappy people. I always think something is missing in a person's life if a tattoo appeals. Never known a happy person with a tatoo.