Gransnet forums

AIBU

To want a tattoo

(354 Posts)
EthelTheTank Wed 07-Oct-20 13:15:18

I'd love a tattoo but at the tender age of 73 I don't know if I'd be able to suit one. My son Sherman thinks it is an awful idea for me to get a tattoo but I can't help feeling like I'm missing out. What are your opinions on tattoos? Should I go for it?

Lisagran Wed 07-Oct-20 18:03:01

they call me a tank down at the bingo

Oh, Ethel, I bet you’re such a character in real life grin

MissAdventure Wed 07-Oct-20 18:03:46

lisagran wink

Elizabeth1 Wed 07-Oct-20 18:14:05

I used to be very judgemental about people having tattoos. No longer am I sharing this view there’s been too many lovely carers looking after me who have tattoos men and women. I did hear though someone with a tattoo isn’t any longer able to give blood to the Bloodbanks would this be true. My 17 yr old grandaughter has recently had 2 tattoos I’ve said how lovely they are but please think about when your going to stop. I wasn’t keen on her getting loads and loads of tattoos my sister has a tattoo on her hip and is really pleased with it. It’s not something I personally would want give me a diamond any daygrin

Kamiso Wed 07-Oct-20 18:15:53

My daughters both have tattoos but my son doesn’t. At least as far as I know. DD1 has a discrete one on her lower back. DD2 has a huge peacock festooned in flowers running down her side. She and her husband have matching tattoos on their arms. They are very expensive.

Bad enough dealing with painful medical essentials without inflicting additional unnecessary pain on myself.

dogsmother Wed 07-Oct-20 18:21:09

Oh do it !
You only get one life and it’s best not to look back and wish you’d had a go at something.

vegansrock Wed 07-Oct-20 18:28:38

My sister has a butterfly on her bottom, I’d like one. But my OH isn’t a fan. I think he’d be ok with something on my bottom though ( excuse to look at it).

annodomini Wed 07-Oct-20 18:31:33

GD1 has a tattoo on her ribs - a line from a son which I can't quite remember. DS1 has a wonderfully tasteful flower design over one shoulder. So far, the rest of the family are tattoo free but there are four other GC who, I feel sure, will take that plunge. I had thought of having DNR tattoed on my chest, but chickened out!

Lisagran Wed 07-Oct-20 18:39:46

My grandson has a tattoo. He’s asked me to get him a dictionary for his birthday; I must make sure not to get the Urban Dictionary by mistake

PaperMonster Wed 07-Oct-20 19:31:31

Go for it! I have two and would like another but undecided on design.

rockgran Wed 07-Oct-20 19:35:53

I have enough bits of me that hurt without inflicting more pain.

Urmstongran Wed 07-Oct-20 20:28:51

I’ve seen some hilarious ones with spelling mistakes! Not all tattooists can spell it seems. Not like you can rub it out and start again.
?

Urmstongran Wed 07-Oct-20 20:38:12

Like this!

Marydoll Wed 07-Oct-20 20:42:28

I always fancied a Charles Rennie Mackintosh rose on my ankle, so my children bought me a stick on one! grin

DH and I went to the second marriage of his cousin.
She walked into the registry office in a stunning wedding dress.
My very prudish mother in law was beaming at her niece, until she saw the back of the dress.
It was backless and the fifty year old bride's back was totally covered in a huge trailing, Rennie Mackintosh tattoo.
I though MIL was going to have an apoplexy, especially as her niece was always very prim and proper!

Ethel, it's your body! It's no-one else's business.

dontmindstayinghome Wed 07-Oct-20 20:45:59

My daughter is a tattoo artist, both she and my son are covered with them, it upsets me a lot that they choose to carve their skin up in this way.

The artwork is absolutely beautiful, its the fact that its on their skin (or anyone else's) that bothers me. I know that this is a very old fashioned viewpoint and tattoos have been a big part of different cultures for thousands of years - but I just don't get it.

My OH has decided to join the gang and has his arms tattooed, I cringe inside every time I see them.

In my view there is nothing attractive about them at all.

readsalot Wed 07-Oct-20 20:50:30

Go for it! If not now, then when? As for asking your son's opinion or permission........

Starblaze Wed 07-Oct-20 20:55:19

Oh my goodness, this is one of those times when I want is so achievable...

Go forth, get meaningful doodles on yourself and live your best life!

V3ra Wed 07-Oct-20 20:57:18

The young hairdresser in my local salon was complaining about how it was impossible for a couple to afford to save the deposit for a house these days.
Later she said her fiancé was at the tattoo parlour for a full-day session, at a cost of several hundreds of pounds.
"But that's an investment...."
?‍♀️

Starblaze Wed 07-Oct-20 21:15:25

My Dad

Working class

Home owner

Covered in tattoos

Bigger picture needed

Not you OP, start with something small lol

lemongrove Wed 07-Oct-20 21:17:36

Does Sherman have any tatts Ethelthetank?
When you are down at the bingo....if anyone ever calls you a tank again.... just roll right over them.wink

NanKate Wed 07-Oct-20 21:20:12

I often wonder what happens when someone has the name of a loved one tattooed on their body, then the relationship breaks up ?

It’s not for me, but if it gives anyone pleasure then go for it.

NanKate Wed 07-Oct-20 21:21:30

lemongrove ?

Chewbacca Wed 07-Oct-20 21:24:44

grin Lemon never misses a beat!

Oldbat1 Wed 07-Oct-20 21:33:48

You obviously want a tattoo so go ahead. I don’t want one so I won’t.
I like the woman of advanced years who had a tattoo done in middle of her chest saying “Do Not Resuscitate”. She was worried her daughters would insist the medics try to restart her heart if she had a cardiac arrest.

Hetty58 Wed 07-Oct-20 21:53:28

Go for it!

MissAdventure Wed 07-Oct-20 21:53:41

I went out with someone who had SARAH tattooed on his arm.