Gransnet forums

AIBU

Just need a rant.

(40 Posts)
Minigrandma Wed 14-Oct-20 15:16:48

Before lockdown I looked after my grandchild full time.

During lockdown I took the decision that I couldn’t carry on full time and talked to the parents who agreed that when lock down was over and nurseries were open again they would look at putting the child in nursery for a couple of days a week.

This hasn’t happened I am still waiting I keep asking but keep getting fobbed off.

His mum was working but has now given up her job because of ill health, she gets tired a lot, and apparently is not fit enough to look after a 2 year old.

I am still having my grandchild full time even though the mum is at home all day.

I am not well myself and they both know this, but obviously I don’t matter.

I know there is nothing I can do just needed a rant.

Jo1960 Sat 17-Oct-20 17:55:52

I have fibromyalgia, back problems and severe asthma as well as a couple of other issues and totally understand both you and your GC's mum. She probably can't say any more than further tests are being done; it took me 5 years from having to finally give up work to get a diagnosis. Another poster, up the thread, described the absolute physical and mental exhaustion to a tee. I would suggest that you arrange to meet up with the parents and any other grandparents, aunts, uncles and chat through what arrangements you can make between you to look after your GC without anyone being resentful or guilt tripped. As they say it takes a village...

DiscoDancer1975 Sat 17-Oct-20 15:31:51

Yes, my daughter has ME, and when her first child was born, they actually lived with us for three months, until she felt capable of going to her own home. She has s now due second baby in two weeks, and may have to do the same again, we’ll see. She wants to do it herself now, and has always learnt to pace herself. Is it something like this do you think with your DIL? ME can’t actually be diagnosed, it’s just a matter of eliminating everything else. Bless you, it’s such a hard situation, but they really do need to take the reins, and relieve you. Who else is there if you collapse? Perhaps Social Services is the answer. Next Easter is ages away when you’re struggling, and there’d still be drop offs and pick ups to do. Hope you can get to the bottom of what is wrong with her.?

lynx Sat 17-Oct-20 12:41:02

My DIL was the same for a while and nobody knew what was wrong. Then she was diagnosed with fibromythalgia (sp?). However I am surprised that they aren't telling you anything, even if to say they don't yet know. Agree with above, you need to do something for your own health. Good luck.

silverlining48 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:52:43

It might be worth contacting social services who may be able to help. Certainly when I was a SW we came across this problem from time to time and we did help. Parents should give them a ring to discuss.

silverlining48 Sat 17-Oct-20 11:50:16

Two buses? You must be exhausted.

Minigrandma Sat 17-Oct-20 11:08:58

Thank you all for your replies.

When I say I have no choice I really don’t the child’s dad would give up his job to look after the child and that’s not feasible in the long run.

I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with her, every time I ask I just get told more tests she is no better.

While I understand she is ill I have suggested she has him a couple of mornings a week to see how she copes, hopefully she will do this, even though this will cause more problems for me catching two buses to pick him up at lunch time.

Hopefully the child care problem will be sorted when he is 3 and he can go to nursery for so many hours government funded, but that won’t be until after Easter next year.

Will just have to get on with it until then.

silverlining48 Sat 17-Oct-20 10:55:57

Just a thought if you are fully available to care for this child another may/will come along soon and the expectation will be that you provide childcare.
Set a few boundaries now while you can,

GreenGran78 Fri 16-Oct-20 16:11:41

Point 1. What is wrong with the child’s mother? Is she genuinely sick? Does she have a mental health problem? Is she just enjoying fobbing her energetic toddler off on you, while she sits around at home?
Point 2. Now that there is only one wage coming in, can they afford to pay for a nursery place? Childcare is very expensive.
Point 3. None of this is your problem, or responsibility. You need to get to the bottom of what is happening. If your health is suffering due to caring for your grandchild then they need to make other arrangements.
If there is a genuine problem with the mum’s health, perhaps you could offer to visit their home to help out, if you feel up to it. If there are financial problems about paying for childcare, maybe you could offer a little help if you can afford it.
Whatever happens, you need to firmly tell them that things can’t continue as they are.

Riggie Fri 16-Oct-20 15:32:38

I think the onus is on you to do something. Of course it shouldn't have to be, but theu have ignored your requests and probably think you are happy to continue. Tome for notice to be given that you will no longer available (or only available for a reduced time) and be assertive about sticking to it.

Greciangirl Fri 16-Oct-20 15:11:30

The child is definitely entitled to some free nursery care.

Take the bull by the horns and make some enquiries on behalf of your daughter.

I don’t understand why this has been overlooked.

Buffy Fri 16-Oct-20 14:39:30

Minigrandma, You must be exhausted !! You too will soon be ill. I know what it’s like looking after a toddler no matter how well behaved. You need to find out what the mother’s illness is. You don’t say whether she is your daughter or daughter-in-law. Isn’t there another grandma who can help?

Mealybug Fri 16-Oct-20 13:03:45

I think you now need to force the issue due to your own health problems. I know she also has problems but she's at home all day and not looking after her own child. Tell them you are not able to do it anymore and force them into getting a nursery place for the little one, otherwise they will just leave things as they are and you will be suffering.

Purplepixie Fri 16-Oct-20 12:54:46

Be brave and put your foot down. Say that you are not 100% and dont want to do it anymore. You have a life as well.

LauraNorder Fri 16-Oct-20 12:43:47

Looking after an energetic two year old is exhausting even for a young mum never mind a not so fit grandmother. If mum is not fit for the job could you offer to help her at home for an hour or two and then take the little one for a walk or home with you for an hour so that mum can sleep. Maybe you could do this two or three times a week and the little one could go to nursery the rest of the week. A fair compromise for two years until school starts to keep the peace and to keep your bond with your grandchild.
If that’s more than you can cope with then you need to say so.
Be strong and good luck.

icanhandthemback Fri 16-Oct-20 12:41:31

Actually, to keep looking after a grandchild when you are not up to it is putting it in danger. If anything goes wrong and Children's Social Services become involved, their situation will be much more stressful. I know this from experience because this is where my daughter is at the moment. Be firm for the sake of the child and the parents. If Mum has ill health and is struggling, get her to ask Adult Social Services for an assessment so they can help her access help. Two year olds can be entitled to some free nursery care if there is a health issue with the mother which might help.

annehinckley Fri 16-Oct-20 12:41:10

If you never say 'No' what is your 'Yes' worth?

Newatthis Fri 16-Oct-20 12:37:50

Yes, there is something you can do - you can say "no". Ease off - perhaps make yourself less available and say you doing something - only babysit when you want to or it might become a resentment - not towards your grandchild but he might pick up on these feelings.

NannyDaft Fri 16-Oct-20 12:26:39

As the the other ladies say give them 1 months notice to make other arrangements for their 2 year old son ! Start looking after your self .

JaneRn Fri 16-Oct-20 12:04:03

My thoughts are that because your daughter has had to give up her job she has just discovered that there is another job which is nuch more demanding, namely looking after her child. Every time I hear mothers who stay at home described as not working I could scream. Perhaps your daughter has found this out..

In the meantime, my feeling is that you should stop looking after your grandson on a regular basis and start thinking about yourself.

crazygranny Fri 16-Oct-20 10:26:44

You need an uncomfortable but necessary conversation with the parents to understand if there is some problem that prevents the previous agreement. The child will benefit from nursery as will its mother and grandmother and there shouldn't be an enormous cost as there will be funding to cover most of the time. Good luck! x

inishowen Fri 16-Oct-20 10:18:01

This is so wrong. Granny minds the difficult toddler while mum stays at home with her feet up. Please tell them you're not up to it any more and give them a date it must stop.

donna1964 Fri 16-Oct-20 10:17:21

What a cheek! Your daughter is taking advantage of you big time! What is she doing whilst you have her child full time? Put your foot down and tell her this cannot carry on...people will treat you the way you let them until you open your mouth and say no more!

Shandy3 Fri 16-Oct-20 10:11:37

I know there is nothing I can do just needed a rant.

Why do you feel there is nothing you can do? However, I agree if you do nothing, then nothing will change.

beverly10 Fri 16-Oct-20 10:07:08

Enough is enough.What on earth is wrong with the parents??You are not well so what would they do in the event you were not in a position health wise to care for their child .Cards on the table if the parents are not happy that you cannot carry on with child care then this will show you are but a convenience.
The ball has to be in your court.

sandelf Fri 16-Oct-20 10:02:19

What would have happened if you were not available?..! If she is genuinely unwell - offer to help AT HER HOME. She should be happy to have company and the moral boost of someone to SHARE the work with. - Or go ambling/to the park with them. But you do have to stop being their 'get out of looking after our sprog for free' card.