Gransnet forums

AIBU

Covid Restrictions broken by a Surgeon

(41 Posts)
Sugarpufffairy Sun 18-Oct-20 20:10:02

I watched a household which I know is a couple so only 2 people in the house. The couple are not ill in any way. Their adult children and the partner arrived and went into the house. They were there after an hour. I had to go out and they were still there.
We are in Scotland and in one of the high covid areas. Five NHS areas have been told not to go into each others' houses and not to travel to other areas. We are having circuit break just now.
It is bad enough that they visited when we are asked not to visit or enter other houses, but they are both doctors one dealing with very young children.
If NHS staff will not follow the rules what hopes do we have of ever getting out of this situation

Sugarpufffairy Mon 19-Oct-20 15:42:45

I was in my holiday home when the text came to say we were all to stay at home. I took it very literally that I should stay where I was at the time the text arrived.
I had only just got what was meant to be a holiday home. I didn't go back to my home until travel was allowed. I had nothing sorted out for the holiday home like phone or internet. The oven, fridge freezer and washing machine did not work. The TV aerial does not work either. I was living in a house with very few working parts. I found that it was a much more pleasant life even without the services that we tale as normal now. That seemed very significant to me that I was happier even though I had limited facilities. It changed my thoughts on which should be my permanent home. I realise that there is more to life than maintaining the status quo and remaining in a house just because it was a long term home. It have heard that others were less than happy being locked down in that place. Others in the street have given me a "thumbs up" from a distance as they had wanted to leave the area. Being there I had not realised just how bad it was for neighbourlyness and atmosphere.
I did not go back and forward from one house to the other. The only times I have travelled is when travel is not restricted and I have not travelled from a high covid area to a low covid area or vice versa. I have not travelled with anyone or had anyone in either house. I have tried at all times to get things right re the rules from Nicola Sturgeon

Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 13:05:55

I agree Paddyanne. The thought did cross my mind, as NS keeps urging people not to travel in Scotland, unless absolutely necessary.

It seems there is a lot more to the story than you are telling, Sugarpuffairy.
We can't really be expected to comment if we don't know all the facts.

Callistemon Mon 19-Oct-20 12:33:10

Good point, paddyanne, especially in an area with a high number of cases.
Should anyone be going to and from a holiday home?

paddyanne Mon 19-Oct-20 12:28:29

sugarpuffairyaren't you breaking the rules yourself? Shouldn't you have been at your HOME address and not going back to the other address ?Didn't Catherine Calderwood lose her job for visiting her second home?
Pots and kettles ?

TheFrugalPiggy Mon 19-Oct-20 10:58:10

Get people to spy on each other, put people out of business so they to go into debt with the banks, make sure that those who don't "comply" are judged as selfish by their fellow citizens, impose fines on those who break "the rules". Project Fear is fully underway.

Callistemon Mon 19-Oct-20 10:39:29

Sugarpufffairy

The thought crossed my mind that they could all have had COVID and have been tested to show they have antibodies, particularly as they work in the NHS.
That could mean they feel more relaxed about visits even though it is thought antibodies may not last that long.
We just don't know yet.

I think there are many people who may have had the virus but we are all still supposed to adhere to strict rules.

Most people won't know, of course, as the antibody test is not widely available.

trisher Mon 19-Oct-20 10:34:07

One of my DSs came round the other day and fixed a few things for me- changing light bulbs etc-I don't climb steps anymore. No one would have known what he was doing in my house. Another came on a different day to collect some things and fix the guttering at the back. They were both here for some time. Do you think the neighbours were watching? If there was a job that needed more than one person they would need to come in together. Would the neighbours report me? You have no idea what is going on in the house and why they are there.

maddyone Mon 19-Oct-20 09:53:23

SugarPuff I understand now. Thanks for explanation. I agree with what Marydoll said. Keep safe.

Elizabeth1 Mon 19-Oct-20 08:02:01

Please use this forum with civility people are allowed to voice their concerns so that they can off load to other caring people and the rule is in Scotland NOT to visit in other peoples homes that’s a high risk keep safe everyone and dae as yer telt wink

Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 07:48:32

Sugarpufffairy, now that you have given more information, I realise that there is more to this than just breaking Covid regulations.

You obviously have had previous problems with your neighbours, which is a pity if you are trying to sell your house and may have to include details in the home report.
Its a seller's market here in Scotland, so it may be the time to sell, for peace of mind. Both my son and my friend's son sold their homes within two days last month.
There are more people looking for houses than available and you sound very unhappy about where you live.
I hope you manage to resolve matters.

Doodledog Mon 19-Oct-20 02:38:23

That should read ‘Other than from the house to the car’

Doodledog Mon 19-Oct-20 02:36:56

Hetty58

Doodledog, perhaps, if/when you're struggling to breathe, you might change your mind?

I struggle to breathe quite often, and as a result I haven’t been out other than house to car for medical appointments since March.

I won’t change my mind about not liking the side of human nature that the virus has brought to the fore though. I find it quite upsetting to see how quickly people turn on one another to defend ‘the rules’, when it is obvious in many cases that in reality there are other issues at play and ‘the rules’ are being used as a way of getting revenge. It is unedifying in the extreme, in my opinion.

Of course people should socially distance, wear masks and so on, but we are not our neighbours’ keepers, and we don’t usually know the half of what goes on in the lives of others. The sheer spite displayed at times is horrible.

Sugarpufffairy Mon 19-Oct-20 01:13:12

Marydoll I was not only talking about the Corona virus rules and regulations when I said the neighbours ignore various pieces of legislation. As you are in Scotland you may know about Home Reports. I can not get a good Home Report for my house because of things they have done. This would cause a drastic drop in the price if I sold the house. They don't seem to think that rules and laws apply to them.
I don't think I will be going back to the house when the covid situation changes. I have seen what it is like to have nice neighbours and I would be reluctant to leave this nicer place to go back to a place where folks are playing the rebel but not doing it so well.

Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 00:09:11

Sorry, Sugarpuff, crossed posts, you have explained it now.

Marydoll Mon 19-Oct-20 00:07:59

Sugarpuff, I live in the high risk Glasgow area and I can understand your concerns about doctors in particular breaking the rules. However, you only know what you see, you don't know all the facts.

Also, I'm a bit confused about you only spending a couple of hours in the house in the last few weeks, so how do you know if there have been other occasions, when your neighbours haven't followed the rules? Have I misunderstood? Do you live somewhere else? Have you perhaps come back from abroad. Sorry if I sound a bit dense.

If your neighbours are causing you no harm and you have no contact with them, why make life difficult for yourself?
You will have to face them when this is all over.
I'm not advocating breaking the rules, quite the opposite.
Just stop and think before you take any action.

Hetty58 Mon 19-Oct-20 00:07:49

Sugarpufffairy, I'm glad that you won't have to live near these people.

Sugarpufffairy Mon 19-Oct-20 00:02:48

Maddyone. I am not going to do anything about it at all. I will wear face masks and gloves outside and keep myself as safe as I can.
I have not lived at that house since just before lockdown in March. I think I lived there so long it was a habit. I have got a holiday house and chose to spend lockdown there. The difference is massive, hugely better at the holiday house. Sadly I do not see myself going back to the previous long term home. It was home for half a century but now it is just a house.
It was something I found to be an eyeopener and a further indication that I should stay at the holiday home more permanently

maddyone Sun 18-Oct-20 23:54:31

Please ignore it Sugarpuff, after all this is over you will still need to live near your neighbours.

Sugarpufffairy Sun 18-Oct-20 23:35:09

I can hardly be spending all my time spying on the neighbours when I have only been a couple of hours in the house in the last 2 or 3 weeks, now could 1?
On the other hand if this is what I see while only being 2 hours in the house in several weeks how many other times have the rules been broken.
The houses are not the best for soundproofing and if they did not all talk in loud voices no-one would have heard. They are people who have annoyed several households in the area.
I am really glad that I have not been spending the last 7 or 8 months in that setting.
I am surprised that so many people are taking the rules so lightly. People don't want to spend the rest of their lives in various lockdowns or restrictions I would have thought

ElaineI Sun 18-Oct-20 23:09:51

What a nasty nosey post this is. I also live in Scotland in one of the high Covid areas. We do essential childcare for both DDs who would not be able to work if we didn't (teacher, nurse and SiL police) - we are not in total lockdown and schools are open, hospitals have patients with other things not Covid and there are still crimes. I also care for my DM, 85 and blind with COPD. We travel out of our town but not the region or they bring the children. This is allowed. I take DD2 to work and pick her up so she doesn't have to go on the bus. It is recommended not to use public transport when you can avoid it by Scottish Government. If I thought someone was spying on me I would report it! No one knows what is happening in another household unless they have bugged the house. Cannot believe this post.

Chewbacca Sun 18-Oct-20 23:02:36

sugarpuff What about knocking on their door, stand back 2 metres, and ask them? Or pop a note through their door and ask them?

SueDonim Sun 18-Oct-20 22:57:09

Did you call the police to these people, Sugarpuffairy? That would be the most effective way to stop them, surely?

Sugarpufffairy Sun 18-Oct-20 22:42:18

I thought we were all meant to be taking care of ourselves and minding out for others, wearing masks and social distancing. In the areas of high covid test results, and this is going on in the highest positive results area in the country, we have been asked not to go into each others houses, not to travel if not necessary and not to go from one NHS area to another.
There are still notices up about how grateful we are meant to be to NHS staff but these ones are taking every risk under the sun. They should be leading by example as should the politicians but we know how they played so badly at following their own party's instructions
I hope one day that we can all return to a normal life but the more people flaunt the rules the less chance we have on getting this virus under control

Hetty58 Sun 18-Oct-20 22:39:38

Doodledog, perhaps, if/when you're struggling to breathe, you might change your mind?

Doodledog Sun 18-Oct-20 22:30:02

I knew that would happen grin

Cross posted with Hetty58.