Gransnet forums

AIBU

AIBU to scream and panic when knocked over in the dark suddenly?

(163 Posts)
Lavazza1st Mon 09-Nov-20 14:41:27

Last night I walked along the road and suddenly a biggish dog ran out of a church gateway and knocked me flat on the ground. I fell and hurt my left side and screamed, then the dog ran off. The owner blamed me because he could not find his dog, but he had not had him on a lead in a public place.

I'm feeling really rubbish today because I wouldn't want someone to lose their dog, but also it's made me lose any confidence I did have about leaving the house. I'm well padded enough not to have any serious injury, but am sore from the fall.

icanhandthemback Wed 11-Nov-20 12:49:44

So many deleted posts! It is difficult to see what inspired that but if it was my post, let me say now, I don't think the Dog Owner was right in any way at all so I quite understand why Lavazza was upset and frightened. I do, however, think it is quite possible that the Dog Owner may have reacted in fright. It doesn't excuse his behaviour but without the adrenaline of "fright" colouring him, he probably isn't someone Lavazza has to worry about.
As for the "typical" dog owner, I really think there are some sweeping statements throughout the thread which I was addressing. Of course there are people who are feckless with their animals, who don't understand that they are not everybody's best friend and they drive me mad. However, I used to walk my dog with big groups of dog owners and most of us were embarrassed by the people who didn't/couldn't control their dogs and thought that people who complained about them were unreasonable.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Nov-20 12:37:32

The UK’s rabies free, Fennel. Certainly as far as dogs are concerned.

Fennel Wed 11-Nov-20 12:25:54

I hope you're feeling better now, Lavazza.
Another thought, if anyone is actually bitten in a dog attack, is there a law here that the dog owner has to get the dog tested by a vet for rabies pdq? There is in France.

Luckygirl Wed 11-Nov-20 10:53:40

Other than a few bruises does not appear harm was done.

No harm! This poor lady is nervous about going out - and who can blame her? Do you regard that as "no harm"?

If this had happened to me and I was knocked over, there would not be just a "few bruises" as I have extensive osteoporosis and would have likely broken a bone. This owner's dog could easily have caused serious harm; and could go on to do so. Anything that can be done to prevent that should be done.

Maggiemaybe Wed 11-Nov-20 10:30:35

That was a nasty experience, Lavazza, and no, of course you aren’t being unreasonable. I can’t understand why anyone would blame you for shouting out when you’re suddenly bowled over, or make excuses for the dog’s owner, and it’s only by good luck that you weren’t physically hurt. Your confidence must have taken a knock, and I hope you manage to put this behind you quickly.

flowers for you, kittye, and best wishes for a complete recovery.

MissElly Wed 11-Nov-20 09:11:44

Just see this post now and I am furious on your behalf!! As a dog owner myself I am so angry that that idiot blamed you for his own stupidity. If he cant control the dog it should have been on a lead. I wonder if you had been a 30 year old guy would he have spoken to you like that. angry

Would you consider a stick or a walking pole to boost your confidence?
I really hope that you feel better soon. Try not to let a freak accident and a rude moron dent your confidence. Easier said than done I know.

Susi72 Tue 10-Nov-20 23:50:53

You have to have sustained se kind of quantifiable loss or damage to sue someone. Other than a few bruises does not appear harm was done. Unfortunate experience but life is not short of those lately.

Musicgirl Tue 10-Nov-20 20:08:47

I'm late here but I hope you are feeling better now. I'm not surprised that you screamed in panic; l think almost anyone would. As a dog owner, l keep my dog on a lead and, although I know he is friendly, not everyone likes dogs and many people are scared of them. I don't like strange dogs sniffing me either. You have had a horrible experience and probably suffered shock. The dog owner was totally at fault and his wretched animal disappearing should be the least of your worries. Had he been a decent human being he would have made sure that you were ok.

Summerlove Tue 10-Nov-20 19:51:21

Grandmafrench

It’s simply good fortune that you’re not injured. People on ‘phones are always ‘elsewhere’, unaware, not taking control or responsibility for the situations their lazy and selfish behaviour can create! So, of course he’d blame you.....so much easier than being concerned for your safety and sorry that it happened. Get over it and get better soon and don’t give it another thought. ?

Well that’s overkill

Callistemon Tue 10-Nov-20 19:48:26

I met a huge dog today but it was immediately called to heel and the owner held on to its collar to allow me to pass.
Just as well, he had been in the river and was soaking wet.
A very well-trained dog and very beautiful so we stopped and had a chat (the owner and me).
It was a labradoodle, Alexa so perhaps the poodle part was better behaved!

Luckyoldbeethoven Tue 10-Nov-20 18:27:33

Alexa grin grin grin

phoenix Tue 10-Nov-20 18:03:30

Alexa do love the word "galumphing* smile

Alexa Tue 10-Nov-20 17:53:47

I bet it was a lab the young ones are terrible for galumphing .I'd have screamed too at being knocked down in the dark. Very natural. You never know what will be running out from dark churches especially around Halloween.

Luckyoldbeethoven Tue 10-Nov-20 17:50:14

Well I just RTF thread again, (thanks for a useful acronym Kalu) having been out all afternoon. I have often read GN threads where people launch in and don't bother to RTF thread at all but actually I usually do. I did not use the term 'typical dog owner' as I do not think there is any such thing having owned dogs myself over the years.
In fact, I've spent quite a lot of my time in the dog world and have been concerned at changes in the way dog owners anthromorphise their charges ('be nice' means nothing to a snarling dog!) and fail to understand that not everyone loves dogs and that dogs can do damage to people.
It's not ok that someone is knocked over by a dog and then shouted at by the owner. I do agree with everyone who has said that.
I hope that Lavazza feels supported by the vast amount of support in this thread. It is very sad when someone feels afraid to leave their house and I hope she is able to access help and overcome that. It's not necessarily easy to overcome fears and some fear more than others. Warmest support to you Lavazza.

Rosy2 Tue 10-Nov-20 17:40:57

Have you someone who would walk with you for a few days because with time your confidence should return. Don’t let it overtake you as these experiences can.

phoenix Tue 10-Nov-20 17:17:09

're comments about dogs defecating, responsible dog owners carry poo bags, and dispose of them appropriately.

Now, peeing is a different matter, and short of putting nappies on the pooch, I can't see a solution to that.

Many people think that urine is "sterile" I believe the actress Sarah Miles used to drink hers confused

Callistemon Tue 10-Nov-20 17:10:26

Perhaps there should be a more prescriptive law requiring dogs to be on leads

www.gov.uk/control-dog-public

Out of control
Your dog is considered dangerously out of control if it:

injures someone
makes someone worried that it might injure them

Marydoll Tue 10-Nov-20 16:13:52

Jacky, Big Brother is indeed watching us. Das ist sehr beunruhigend.

The other day I asked my husband if he thought Alexa was eavesdropping on our conversation.
Alexa then started speaking!

JackyB Tue 10-Nov-20 16:08:16

I know this is a subject that has been dealt with in other threads, but I literally just started reading this and on the first page had an advert for dog training equipment. In German.

Now I shall get back to reading what everyone has said. As you were.

Marydoll Tue 10-Nov-20 16:01:40

As someone who is always falling or having accidents, I know you get over the physical injuries eventually, but it's more difficult not to relive every moment and question if you could have done things differently.
Hindsight is a great thing.

Charleygirl has the right advice. Ask your partner to help.

Nonamedone Tue 10-Nov-20 15:58:44

NO YOU ARE NOT BEING UNREASONABLE . The foolish man was definitely in the wrong for not having the dog on a leash !! He had probably been letting it defecate in the church grounds. What a horrible person he is. Did he even ask if you were alright. As far as he knows you might have broken a hip or something.

Nanna58 Tue 10-Nov-20 15:57:53

Oh MawB2 as someone who once spent 3hours trying to get one of her greyhounds back I loved the gentle understatement ‘ poor’ recall ???They are all on leads now! Sorry for the fright and injury Lavazza; we are not all like that wretched man, honest!!

Charleygirl5 Tue 10-Nov-20 15:47:04

Maybe your DH will oblige and walk the dog today so that you can take a day's rest after that traumatic experience. If you have fully retired like most of us you will have the remainder of the week to get over it.

Callistemon Tue 10-Nov-20 15:23:23

I hope you're feeling better today Lavazza sometimes you can feel worse the next day because you 'seize up'.
A nice bath with magnesium salts might help.

Kalu Tue 10-Nov-20 14:49:59

What a dreadful experience Kittye. Disgraceful behaviour from the owners who would feel very differently had it happened to them.

Sorry to hear you are still suffering and I hope you are on the mend.