Gransnet forums

AIBU

Vaccine

(175 Posts)
Sallywally1 Tue 10-Nov-20 17:01:30

How many of you will have it and how many won’t?

Personally I will be head of the queue!

suziewoozie Tue 17-Nov-20 08:53:39

This is an interesting article by someone who’s researched the field of conspiracy theories a great deal
onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/pops.12568

M0nica Tue 17-Nov-20 08:26:44

Listening to an item on the R4 made me think. Why are conspiracy theories always negative and the secret groups controlling the world always evil? Why aren't there conspiracies that are benevolent, and secret organisations that are well-meaning?

BlueBelle Tue 17-Nov-20 07:17:30

Could this be part of the answer wonderfully simple if it s
news.sky.com/story/covid-19-mouthwash-can-kill-coronavirus-within-30-seconds-study-finds-12134289

Pammie1 Tue 17-Nov-20 05:19:12

I think getting vaccinated is the only responsible thing to do, to be honest. There’s already lots of conspiracy theory and misinformation online and it doesn’t help. I think the only way out of this pandemic and back to anything like normal is an effective vaccine - the government has proved time and time again that it has no idea how to tackle it effectively. But a vaccine is no use unless the take up is enough. No brainier really.

Callistemon Mon 16-Nov-20 23:50:34

That conspiracy theory/fake news is, unfortunately, going around on social media.
In fact I've read it in here about five or six times.

M0nica Mon 16-Nov-20 23:00:57

It is not just the science of vaccine that she doesn't understand she also doesn't understand the mutability or operation of DNA. Perhaps a simple course on Genetics is required here.

varian Sat 14-Nov-20 09:49:34

She has misunderstood the way the vaccine works.

Shropshirelass Sat 14-Nov-20 09:45:02

I said that I would too. But after chatting with my D about it I am not sure. She said it attaches to our DNA and that should not be tampered with. She feels that if she has the vaccine then what side effects will there be 2 years down the line, eg cancer. She has made me think but this question has been raised on TV this morning.

Grungirtel Fri 13-Nov-20 18:32:08

I strongly suspect the vaccine will only be effective for a few months or a year at the most.

M0nica Thu 12-Nov-20 14:19:54

I am not generating any competition between generations. I am just asking people, not just GN people, to be rational and to be reasonable. We have heard so much about the young generation being bogged down with paying for COVID,( under message: another way the baby boomers had it easy compared with us) I just thought a timely reminder that we too had a debt burden to pay that was nothing to do with us, wouldn't go amiss. So not a competion at all, more a bringing geerations together because all of us are having a shared experience.

Summerlove Thu 12-Nov-20 12:34:27

Oh yes. I’m sure those going through hardship due to their parents not having jobs and being confined to their home and scared of germs will be thrilled to count themselves lucky.

For goodness sakes, It is not a competition between generations. Every generation has a hardship. But for all of the people here are complaining about mental health and suicide rates going up, very few seem to be concerned about how all of this is going to affect today’s children in 10 to 20 years. Instead there is a thread complaining that parents have let their children regress.

This needs to be looked at on overall society, not just one group or the other.

M0nica Thu 12-Nov-20 11:39:43

Anyway, most of us spent our working lives paying for WW2, (George Brown made the last payment in 2006), even though many were not even born before it ended. Did we even know that let alone notice it?

The next generation will be in exactly the same situation we were, but without the billions of pounds of destruction of homes, workplaces and facilities to rebuild as well. They should count themselves lucky!

petra Thu 12-Nov-20 08:51:15

I'm afraid I didn't make my post clear ( last night) I'm 74.

Lovetopaint037 Thu 12-Nov-20 08:33:59

I am 79 and I would volunteer to have it if the opportunity arose. My dd has a friend who has worked on this for five years as it was being developed for other diseases. You are not injected with Covid which is what some people fear.

Hetty58 Thu 12-Nov-20 04:46:30

At some point during the vaccination process, I'd expect it to become available only to certain 'vulnerable' groups.

Once a sufficient number of people are immune, the virus should die out. Of course, that only applies if we insist that those travelling into the country are immunised.

growstuff Thu 12-Nov-20 01:05:55

And nobody's condemning anybody's children to a broken economy. Today's debts don't ever need to be repaid. In fact, they can't be and never will be.

I wish people understood how the money has been created. It's a figure in the Bank of England's double entry bookkeeping - nothing else. The Treasury has sold bonds at a very low rate of interest to cover some of it (although it didn't need to), which means that some people have assets. Public debt always means private wealth. If the Treasury wants to take the heat out of the economy and avoid inflation, of which there is not the slightest danger at the moment, it could increase taxation of those who have benefited.

growstuff Thu 12-Nov-20 00:56:45

OceanMama

All this debate and we won't even be making any decisions. We will be told who can get the vaccine and when. There will be no choice but to run with the program. No matter how entitled someone feels to a vaccine before someone else, they won't be able to jump the queue. It's best to just sit back and see what your options are when they are available. I'm happy with my own position in the queue at #11.

Exactly! Once anybody starts making any kind of decision based on people's perceived use to society, we're on the slippery slope to eugenics.

The priority must be decided on clinical need and nothing else.

It may well be that the vaccine isn't suitable for the elderly because they have reduced T cell response. In which case, it should be given to the next on the list ie those with high risk health conditions.

MissAdventure Thu 12-Nov-20 00:50:52

Anyway.
Enough of that. I feel like I'm at work. smile

MissAdventure Thu 12-Nov-20 00:48:50

Yes, but not usually on the say so of one person.
Perhaps though, due to far reaching affects potentially caused by covid, a gp will be the only person needed.

OceanMama Thu 12-Nov-20 00:47:23

Ellianne

True OceanMama,. I come in at number 8 so I'll give you prior warning how quickly they have got through the list!
(Provided I've survived that long with no vaccine whilst doing childminding and my husband working in school.)

I'm sure you will. :-) #8 isn't too bad. At least there will be plenty before you so you will be able to see what the effects of the vaccine on a large group before you have been. There may be a risk those at #11 no longer see the need to get the vaccine by the time it gets to them. I will consider it at the time and am glad there will be many before me so I will be fully aware of the risks that emerge.

suziewoozie Thu 12-Nov-20 00:46:24

MissAdventure

I've just been looking up advice about care homes and jabs in general. Suffice to say they're all pdf, so I didn't download anything.
I read something about "your doctor deciding with you" for people living with dementia.

There’s very clear guidance for dealing with consent issues for people lacking capacity. They deal with this all the time in care homes and every year re the flu jab. My guess is that given the newness of this vaccination, there will be advice about communications with relatives but they can’t actually consent, no one can if you lack capacity, It boils down to what is in the person’s best interest

MissAdventure Thu 12-Nov-20 00:37:55

I've just been looking up advice about care homes and jabs in general. Suffice to say they're all pdf, so I didn't download anything.
I read something about "your doctor deciding with you" for people living with dementia.

Ellianne Thu 12-Nov-20 00:28:27

True OceanMama,. I come in at number 8 so I'll give you prior warning how quickly they have got through the list!
(Provided I've survived that long with no vaccine whilst doing childminding and my husband working in school.)

suziewoozie Thu 12-Nov-20 00:24:35

OceanMama

All this debate and we won't even be making any decisions. We will be told who can get the vaccine and when. There will be no choice but to run with the program. No matter how entitled someone feels to a vaccine before someone else, they won't be able to jump the queue. It's best to just sit back and see what your options are when they are available. I'm happy with my own position in the queue at #11.

Absolutely - all this huffing and puffing about what the rank order should be. It will be as already stated almost certainly. Some posters on here just seem to be making up hypothetical difficulties not grounded in reality at all especially given care home residents have the flu jab every year.

lindiann Thu 12-Nov-20 00:24:28

Had an email from relatives care home
"Only residents who have capacity to make their own decision will be able to take part in the first round. We will not be giving the vaccine to those who cannot independently make that decision."