Gransnet forums

AIBU

How often do you feed your cat (lighthearted)

(56 Posts)
phoenix Thu 12-Nov-20 14:43:11

My 2 have dry food available all the time, a pouch between them around 7am, then another one between at 6pm. They listen for the bongs on the radio!

The pouches are not evenly shared, as Oliver Sprout is a big chap and Minnie is rather little.

sodapop Thu 12-Nov-20 14:43:02

Our cat is exactly the same Sparklefizz he would eat 10 times a day if he could. He does tend to eat a little then leaves the rest, I have to be quick off the mark then to stop the dogs eating the leftovers. Cat food is obviously superior to dog food grin

ninathenana Thu 12-Nov-20 14:35:00

He has dry food down all day and a full pouch of wet food at 5pm. He will tell you when it's time smile

Sparklefizz Thu 12-Nov-20 14:17:00

Since March when I have been at home all the time, my lovely Phoebe seems to think she can be fed every time she comes in, which is frequently as she is in and out all day long.

She is a bit chubby and I have tried distracting her with toys and attention when she is sitting by the food bowl and crying. This hasn't worked, and the meowing gets to me.

Now I give her the same amount per day, but divide it up into just a spoonful each time she asks for it. She seems to be ok with this and I hope to notice a difference on the scales grin

Buffybee Thu 12-Nov-20 13:21:00

My big girl can only tolerate dry food, and complains loudly if the bowl is empty.
I fill in once a day and she has a small handful of Dreamies about 8 o’clock, which she reminds me about.
How do they know the time?

Sallywally1 Thu 12-Nov-20 13:17:22

I am now semi retired and have noticed now I am at home more my other half feeds the cat in the middle of the day, as well as morning and evening.

I think hard food in the morning and a pouch of soft food in the evening is more than enough. I realise our cat is quite capable of demanding cat food with menaces (and the vet said he was a tiny bit overweight), but feel that three times a day is too much!