Gransnet forums

AIBU

DVL

(31 Posts)
grannyrebel7 Fri 20-Nov-20 10:26:12

My DH has just renewed his driving licence with the DVL as he's approaching 70, or so he thought. For this he was charged £69. I thought this was quite expensive but thought no more of it. Turns out he'd actually gone through an agent working on behalf of the DVL to assist people with the process. To think that this government body encourages this sort of practice is scandalous. If he'd been more careful he could have renewed the licence on the DVL's website without incurring any cost. He's mad with himself for being duped like this as he's usually so careful. He's now written a strongly worded emailed telling them exactly what he thinks of this practice. He has over 2000 followers on Twitter and is going to make them aware of how easily it is to fall into this trap. He's asked me to warn all GNers too.

grannyrebel7 Sat 21-Nov-20 09:12:30

Update - we got the money back! Win win situation. Lessons learnt - DH is going to be more careful online in future. Thanks for all your comments.

Ashcombe Sat 21-Nov-20 09:23:44

Great news, grannyrebel!
There is no charge at all (Jaxjacky mentioned £14) and you should receive notification from the DVLA of the need to renew your licence a few months before your 70th birthday.

Ashcombe Sat 21-Nov-20 09:26:07

www.gov.uk/renew-driving-licence-at-70

Jaxjacky Sat 21-Nov-20 09:36:30

Apologies Ashcombe £14 if under 70, DH did his last year and he’s 58.

Ashcombe Sat 21-Nov-20 11:00:33

Jaxjacky no need to apologise but thank you! I don’t think there should be a charge for any renewal unless you’re upgrading to a photo card licence instead of the original paper one.