Gransnet forums

AIBU

English language - where is it going to? AIBU

(219 Posts)
TwinLolly Sat 21-Nov-20 10:33:46

Maybe I'm being unreasonable and very menopausal but there are words that are getting under my skin.

* "Co-worker" seems to be a new word for colleague.

* "Super" this and "super" that instead of "very" or "huge", etc.

* "Denied", e.g. as in "he/she was denied entry" - instead of "refused entry", or other cases where the world "refused" would make more sense than the word "denied".

* Where has the word "donated" gone to. It's now "gifted".

* I get confused when reading a newspaper or magazine article where people are now referred to by their surnames only without the Mr/Mrs/Miss/Ms. I lose the plot as to who is who confused. I'd prefer to referred to as Mrs Surname or my first name.

There are other words too, but I can't think of them now.

Rant over. Sorry! blush

BlueSky Tue 24-Nov-20 08:51:58

‘My bad’ only recently found out what it means. grin
‘Empowered’ now over used word, grates on my nerves!
I remember when my DGC started to reply “I’m good” thought they were saying it wrong, now most people say it!

Nanny27 Tue 24-Nov-20 10:25:28

Could this possibly be the right place to air my loathing of those twee words used by pet owners:
Fur baby - yuk yuk yuk
Over. The rainbow Bridge - more yuks
Go potty - oh really!

annodomini Tue 24-Nov-20 10:53:53

Oh yes, Nanny27. I can imagine that this would offend a few of our members, but every one of those expressions makes me cringe!

Nanny27 Tue 24-Nov-20 11:24:20

Me too anno, I look at my beautiful, dignified labrador lying at my feet as I type this and imagine referring to her as a 'fur baby'!

Nannan2 Tue 24-Nov-20 11:33:07

Oh my word ixion- yes that is the one i hate too! ?

rockgran Tue 24-Nov-20 12:00:30

I have always been annoyed by the use of "Holidays" instead of "Christmas" but as it stems from "Holy Day" I suppose it is in fact correct. (...although I still prefer "Merry Christmas'.)
I watch a lot of craft programmes and the presenters often mangle the language in an attempt to keep talking. I actually feel a bit sorry for them as they try to avoid "dead air".

hallgreenmiss Tue 24-Nov-20 12:08:01

grandMattie

“Global pandemic “. When will people understand that “pandemic” means worldwide? Why not got the whole ho* and say “world global pandemic”?

Actually, pandemic means throughout an entire country, continent, or the whole world. It’s therefore not wrong say global pandemic.

buylocal Wed 25-Nov-20 14:25:20

incidences instead of incidents
big 'of' a deal - why the preposition?

BrandyGran Sat 28-Nov-20 22:17:12

"Going forward" instead of "in the future" we will do a certain thing.
One that really grates because of over use is "no pressure then!" We watch Bargain Hunt and that expression is used all the time! My husband wonders aloud why absolutely everything is "amazing!"

BrandyGran Sat 28-Nov-20 22:20:11

Also could someone tell me what is the difference between "booking" and "pre-booking"?Up until a few years ago we just "booked".

BrandyGran Sat 28-Nov-20 22:30:46

Some folk where I live say they are "waiting on the bus" instead of "waiting for the bus". Even TV reporters have been heard to say they are "waiting on a certain politician" to make a statement. I always imagine them sitting on the politician's shoulders!

Georgesgran Sun 29-Nov-20 02:11:53

My daughter went from Newcastle to work in Sheffield. When she was doing the rota, staff would ask to work 2 while 8, or 8 while 2 - rather than ask to work from 2 to 8, as we’d say up here. It just sounds odd.
My SIL in Cheshire always says she ‘goes work’ or her son ‘goes golf’ missing out the verbs.

nanna8 Sun 29-Nov-20 10:30:13

I don't like the way they say 'so' before everything here now. Not sure why,it just sounds kind of affected. Do you have that there,too? I used to dislike 'yair right' but I have weakened and use it myself now for when you don't believe something.

sodapop Sun 29-Nov-20 13:06:07

On the face of it Nanny27 the 'Rainbow Bridge' does seem a bit twee but if it offers some comfort to pet owners at a difficult time then I'm all for it. Our JR was put to sleep a month ago now and I still look for his little face every morning when I come downstairs.

hollysteers Sun 29-Nov-20 18:33:54

‘You guys” gets my goat, Prince Harry uses this a lot...
Beth something or other on TV news CANNOT manage a ‘t’ or ‘ing’. Has she a hidden desire to be a rapper? It certainly doesn’t sound very professional and she’s on a lot.
I’m now trying not to be stuffy about ‘gotten’?

FannyCornforth Sun 29-Nov-20 18:38:17

Oh good lord, I hate 'you guys'.
Bleurghenvyangry

hollysteers Sun 29-Nov-20 18:52:54

“Gonna” rather than going to. Just hate it.

Bellanonna Sun 29-Nov-20 19:02:43

Does the thread title need the “to” ?

Nanny27 Sun 29-Nov-20 23:01:21

Sodapop so sorry about your little dog. You must miss him terribly.?

sodapop Mon 30-Nov-20 08:35:09

Thank you Nanny27

Vosaie Wed 07-Apr-21 11:40:47

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Blossoming Wed 07-Apr-21 12:02:25

Spammer reported

grandtanteJE65 Wed 07-Apr-21 12:07:08

I don't object to "co-worker". The expression that gets my goat is " work-colleague"!

After all, a colleague is someone you work with! If that has been lost or misunderstood, then roll on the use of co-worker.

eazybee Wed 07-Apr-21 12:56:52

You guys, folks and The Gang.
Sounds like Dennis the Menace.

Trisha57 Mon 12-Apr-21 10:48:04

"Yous" as the plural for "you". Drives me mad when I hear it!