Gransnet forums

AIBU

Aibu to think people really don’t get it?

(64 Posts)
Youcantchoosethem Sun 29-Nov-20 17:45:41

I tested positive for COVID on Thursday and have had to isolate from my partner and two of my children and my two grandchildren. My third child is in my home but has tested negative so we have had to split the house in two. I can’t console him. I can’t hug him. He can’t go to school. I still have to feed him - he can’t cook for himself and that is a massive challenge. I have to wear full PPE. I’m using separate plates etc for him. Cleaning constantly. I have to keep telling him to keep back and not to come near and it feels so shitty to keep doing that and even spraying the air with an aerosol disinfectant after I have been in the transfer area we have set up. He can’t open his door whilst I’m on the landing. Everything has to go through the dishwasher at high heat - I can’t just rinse a spoon in case it is still contaminated. Obviously neither of us can go anywhere. I can’t hug my partner. I am asthmatic and have other underlying conditions - I had a mild stroke in September and had organ failure 8 years ago - so I am in constant fear of what happens next. At the moment it’s mild. But if it goes to my chest? I get chest infections every year. Is that the last time I will ever have seen my partner and my other two children? Given them a hug? Will my other son be ok locked in his couple of rooms? Can I keep him safe? He’s asthmatic too and has complex special needs. The mental side is so awful. I followed the rules too. Was fanatical about everything clean but I still got it. I don’t know how. But at the moment it’s just a mild case....

Youcantchoosethem Thu 03-Dec-20 10:05:04

@Hymnbook what a terrible nurse to say all that! No that’s not going to help at all is it!

@maybee70 yes I have 4 windows open all the time and the vents all open to improve air flow. We also have an open fire and they are believed to change the air in a room every 30 minutes because of the draw pulling through so have had that lit every evening - actually from early afternoon because of the gloom!

DS is coping better. He still asks for a hug and asks throughout the day how much I’ve coughed and how am I doing as he knows that isn’t good but otherwise he’s settled down and is content enough with his “room service” and I think is quite enjoying that. I managed to get another Tesco delivery as well which came last night so have easy meals and snacks for us both to reduce the effort. Although must admit the delivery person wasn’t at all as good as the last one - I did feel like quite a leper - I can completely understand they don’t want it either and I wore a mask and gloves to the door, I have notified them and I have it on the door that we are positive Covid household, he said he couldn’t deliver without it being bagged - the other ones had stood right back and I emptied the crates then I went right back and they antibaxed everything and were really sensitive about it. This one just went back to the van, threw everything into bags - raw with cooked, bruised bananas etc, and didn’t bother explaining any of the substitutions, some of which I wouldn’t have taken (sugary drink instead of the no sugar for example which my DS can’t have) but just didn’t have the option to do anything about it. Oh well at least we have some more food although I can’t taste it!

Youcantchoosethem Thu 03-Dec-20 09:51:58

Thank you. Sorry for not responding yesterday- am feeling so tired. I can feel it at the bottom of the throat but thankfully chest is still ok - just coughing to clear the throat. It just seems to tire you out so much. At the moment DS is still ok so that’s good. The efforts seem to be working! I must have a look at what blood group I am - my other half was shocked when I said I couldn’t remember despite having been in hospital so much! Because I have had transplants I can’t give blood, even though I would love to, so it’s never a reminder as it is for him I suppose. Someone said about O’s been less affected. Who knows... keep safe all xx

Haydnpat Tue 01-Dec-20 17:03:45

Have you got the In you area app? They list groups who can help, shopping ,prescriptions , someone to chat too. Hope you feel better soon

Shropshirelass Tue 01-Dec-20 09:55:53

You are so right, people don’t realise how serious it is. Fortunately we have avoided it in our household. Hope you get better soon.

Dorsetcupcake61 Tue 01-Dec-20 09:10:03

It feels as though the worst aspect of this virus is the unknown. Initially there was information/advice but over the months there have been so many variations in both symptoms and how it is passed on it's become increasingly difficult to assess risk.! We know roughly which groups are vulnerable but even within those groups people survive.etc.
I think only in years to come will we have a better idea.
On the Hospital programme on BBC2 last night a patient who was recovering said the worst aspect was the unknown. If you break a leg you know what will happen. Even with flu you have an idea what to expect. With Covid it ranges from asymptomatic to death.
I'm diabetic and I think for many of our fear of getting the virus is the unknown ,its like a game of Russian roulette!
Several people I know,including myself wonder sometimes if we've actually had it. A diabetic friend was really unwell before Christmas. After Christmas I had what appeared to be a very bad virus,hacking cough,didnt want to get out of bed,I remember at times feeling breathless and telling myself if it didnt get better by the next day I would have to call the Dr. My youngest daughter in April had a chest infection that didnt go and at one stage her breathing was really bad. Of course in the case of myself and friend the virus not really on radar then. It was with my daughter but tests of any sort hard to get.
So, I remain cautious and my life is restricted like many others. If I was younger and not diabetic I would be cautious but this year would have been very different.

FannyCornforth Tue 01-Dec-20 02:44:07

That's interesting welbeck.
I've been thinking about this a lot.
I've noticed that people are reporting quite different symptoms than the ones that were publicised in March.
I'm still not sure whether I've had it or not.

welbeck Tue 01-Dec-20 02:25:42

isn't one of the theories that people with ? is it O blood group are less likely to get it ?
there are so many variables, and so much to learn about this virus, esp as to how and why it affects different individuals.
all the more reason to maintain caution.
good luck OP.

mokryna Tue 01-Dec-20 02:16:53

youcantchoosethem thinking of you both flowers

ayse Mon 30-Nov-20 21:54:55

I hope and pray that all will be well for you and your family. What a horrible situation for you all. It’s not surprising that you are so anxious with the health conditions you already have. It’s such a lonely time to be sick without support.

My thoughts are with you and your family. ?

FannyCornforth Mon 30-Nov-20 20:20:26

Daftbag - sorry to hear about your son; how is he now, if you don't mind me asking? Thank you x

Daftbag1 Mon 30-Nov-20 20:14:45

My son caught Covid very early on in March, prior to knowing he had it he shared his girlfriend's bed, he ended up in hospital very ill in ICU on a ventilator for 3 weeks, he returned home, still positive but despite sharing the bed, eating together etc, she never did catch it.

I hope that your family will all recover quickly x

grandmaz Mon 30-Nov-20 19:42:37

Youcantchoosethem I'm really sorry that you have Covid and I really hope that you feel much better very soon. All you can do is your best, at home...it's so hard not to entertain all the 'what ifs' isn't it, but try not to give them house room. Try to take one day at a time and remember that there are people here who will be sending positive thoughts and prayers your way. flowers

Joesoap Mon 30-Nov-20 17:42:07

Sending hugs,best wishes and hoping you will soon be better. Take care

Luckygirl Mon 30-Nov-20 16:41:38

What a challenge for you all - I am so sorry you are in this situation.

I share your deep frustration with those who do not "get it" - but this is partly because of mixed messages from above - and the gang of Tory MPs who are being a thorn on the government's side do not help to consolidate the general message. The government was too slow to react at the start and we are all suffering the consequences of that.

Please look after yourself. flowers

Sparklefizz Mon 30-Nov-20 16:31:57

Wishing you a speedy recovery Youcanchoosethem. flowers and I hope that your family stay safe.

Thank you for sharing your story as it might make people take more care. You did all the right things and I am so sorry that you still caught it. Life isn't fair, I know, and you have got a great deal to cope with.

In my area there are several help groups on Facebook for people with Covid - lovely people offering to bring food, collect prescriptions, etc. and people to offer general emotional support.

Patsy429 Mon 30-Nov-20 16:25:52

So sorry for your situation. Hope things soon improve, you feel better and able to take control. What a horrible thing this virus is.

Dillonsgranma Mon 30-Nov-20 16:03:07

Oh dear! I am sorry you’re having a rotten time. Really hope you get well very quickly and I send hugs to you. I’m asthmatic as well xxx

Molly10 Mon 30-Nov-20 15:17:59

That's a very concerning situation for you. Wishing you well at this time and hoping all goes well. You sound precautionary sensible so I'm sure it will do. flowers

GillT57 Mon 30-Nov-20 14:48:23

Sorry to hear about the difficulties the virus has caused you and your family and I hope that you get over it soon. You sound as if you are doing everything you can to limit the spread, it must be difficult for you. We are all here if you need a moan, or a chat or a boost!

TwoWolves Mon 30-Nov-20 14:48:07

I'm sorry you're in this awful situation youcantchoosethem and I hope your symptoms remain mild and you make a swift and full recovery.

But I think the reason that most people still 'don't really get it' is because most people haven't so far actually got it (covid, that is). And, if the vaccines are rolled out soon, most people won't get it.

Think of Charles - did Camilla get it? No. Think of William - did Kate get it, or his children? No. My son-in-law caught it recently. Did my daughter and their two children catch it? Did me and my husband catch it, despite being in contact with my son-in-law when he was probably at his most contagious? No, we didn't. I don't know how or why none of us did, but we didn't.

My daughter put it into context. She reminded me of the time she and her daughter lived with us before she got married. She had the flu, but though I looked after her and her daughter, I didn't catch it. Nor did my husband. However, we have both had the flu at other random times in our lives.

I would love it if 'the science' was able to explain why some people are more susceptible to catching covid than others.

hulahoop Mon 30-Nov-20 14:37:45

Hope you only get a mild dose .best wishes.

Maremia Mon 30-Nov-20 14:34:24

Good luck with this. Hope it is over soon. flowers

fraz1946 Mon 30-Nov-20 14:32:07

to youcanchoosethem. I am very sorry to hear about your current situation. I was especially moved to learn of your son's complex needs. Having to keep him at arms length must be heartbreaking for both you and him. I can only hope that the virus does not become really bad for you and that your recovery is complete and happens very very soon, If you have the energy I am sure the many of use would like to know how things are progressing for you. I just wish there was more I could do for you than just write. With loving support to you and your family.

cathymum Mon 30-Nov-20 14:01:03

Hope you recover soon best wishes!

Alexa Mon 30-Nov-20 13:53:17

Youcantchoosethem, best wishes for you speedy recovery.