Gransnet forums

AIBU

Do you take supplements? If so which ones

(44 Posts)
TrendyNannie6 Sun 06-Dec-20 23:17:49

I always take vitamin c, and vitamin D, but not really anything else,

henetha Wed 16-Dec-20 10:22:31

I take vitamin D but I can't remember why.

goose1964 Wed 16-Dec-20 10:15:33

Vitamin d, it's amazing how much it has boosted my mood.

MayBee70 Tue 15-Dec-20 15:47:42

Pre COVID I’d got my supplement intake down to flaxseed, probiotics, maccushield (as recommended on a BBC programme) and turmeric. However, having seen a list that DrJohn put up I’m now on Vit c (I do limit that though), zinc, VitD3 (have been taking that for months), quercetin. I spray magnesium oil onto my feet every now and again but it is quite drying. I don’t think the body stores VitD so in the winter months it’s impossible to get enough from being outside. Some countries, when they give the weather forecast, also tell people how much sun exposure they need to get an adequate amount of VitD. It’s actually quite a lot: something like halfway to getting sunburn (or something like that). It also takes the body quite a while to do whatever it has to do to it to make it work. I’m sure there’s a scientific word for that but I can’t remember it. Assimilate?I tried to get hold of some buckwheat tea as in countries that speed to be controlling the virus really well they drink a lot of it. Dr Fauci takes a huge amount of VitD3. I know that because when he mentioned it someone emailed him to ask the exact dose. I’m also eating a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables. Don’t know if it is protecting me but it helps me mentally I suppose. Oh, and I’m going to do the gargling as well if and when I venture forth into the outside world when I’ve had the vaccine.

Alishka Tue 15-Dec-20 15:20:01

Oh yes, it was Dr.John Campbell smile

Alishka Tue 15-Dec-20 15:18:11

honeyrose

I’ve just started taking Vitamin D tablets as I heard they might be a good thing to take in the present pandemic - could offer some protection against suffering the very worst of the COVID symptoms. Has anyone else heard that?

Yes. My d-in-l in the USA first heard of this long before we did and sent me a supply.

janeainsworth Mon 07-Dec-20 11:42:27

I’ve just started taking Vitamin D tablets as I heard they might be a good thing to take in the present pandemic - could offer some protection against suffering the very worst of the COVID symptoms. Has anyone else heard that?
Honeyrose there’s evidence that optimum levels of Vitamin D not only reduce your risk of contracting Covid, but if you do, you have a lowered risk of suffering severe symptoms.
Google Dr John Campbell.
He has made several videos about this explaining the role of Vitamin D in the functioning of the immune system & what is coming out of the latest research.

He doesn’t make blanket recommendations but says he himself takes 25mcg per day. You have to be careful not to take too much.

gillyknits Mon 07-Dec-20 11:39:20

I was advised to take high dose turmeric and black pepper by my rheumatologist. I had dreadful pain in my hands and she recommended it, having seen good results in other patients with arthritis in their fingers.
Three months later, my hands are almost pain free. Can’t believe the improvement.

Lewie Mon 07-Dec-20 11:33:30

I should add that I take the magnesium at night with camomile tea - both to promote a good nights sleep.

Lewie Mon 07-Dec-20 11:27:58

Vit D Oral Spray, cod liver oil, magnesium, Q10, ginseng/gingko biloba, Vit B complex. Sounds like a walking pharmacy! grin

Cs783 Mon 07-Dec-20 11:19:35

None. Some foods here in the UK are fortified with vitD plus I’m going by reading that getting something like. 20 mins sunshine on face and arms during the sunny months will see us through winter... but open to taking extra. Would take supplements if they were proved to stop hair loss!

Canalboatgranma Mon 07-Dec-20 11:11:46

Glucosamine for my joints, vitamin D, started to take Turmeric but then found out that if you take Omerprazole you shouldn't take Turmeric as it makes acid reflux worse.

MaizieD Mon 07-Dec-20 10:23:25

Vitamin D and Turmeric for arthritic hip/leg pain.

Was very sceptical about the turmeric but it seems to work. Takes quite a while (a few months) to be effective . No longer kept awake at night by the pain.

MiniMoon Mon 07-Dec-20 10:19:23

I've been taking vitamin D since before covid-19. My sister was prescribed it after seeing her GP, and since we lead a similar lifestyle I thought it a good idea for myself.

Nothing else.

Bellasnana Mon 07-Dec-20 10:12:34

Vitamin D and glucosamine as advised by pharmacist.

travelsafar Mon 07-Dec-20 09:29:23

I am taking Vit D and also Evening Primrose caps for breast pain and i still amazed at how it actually works.!!!

Georgesgran Mon 07-Dec-20 09:02:33

Just started taking VitD because of a tv report a couple of weeks ago. Apparently only needed through the Winter months, to the end of March, then we should be able to generate enough VitD through skin exposure to the sun until October. I thought it was worth a try.

Charleygirl5 Mon 07-Dec-20 08:56:52

It worries me that some people are taking supplements as and when they fancy rather than getting advice and the correct dosage from GP or pharmacist. If you take too much it is a waste of money and it will be excreted in your urine. Please seek professional advice.

Juliet27 Mon 07-Dec-20 08:44:09

Have taken Vit D3 for years. Was concerned recently about very dark wee but discovered that Vit B12 can do that if you’re taking too much so stopped taking it which proved the case. I may start taking a lower dose. I also take Lyprinol for aches and pains and to provide Omega3. Having read Ashcombe’s comment re calcium supplement to help bones support artificial joints I may start taking that too.

Lazyriver Mon 07-Dec-20 08:37:07

I have tried many supplements over the years and often felt like I should rattle. Some are foolers as they need to be combined to work.
So now I have returned to a powder that has everything in it, but hard to get at the moment, so running low. I have fibromyalgia and find this helps.
I also take glucosomine, chondroitin, MSM for joints. You need to find the right one though as not all work.
Trial and error

Marmight Mon 07-Dec-20 08:19:51

Turmeric, CBD, VitD

Willow500 Mon 07-Dec-20 08:08:32

Yes vitamin D as I also heard it could help with Covid.

GardenerGran Mon 07-Dec-20 07:47:01

Prescribed D3 Vit D with calcium as blood test revealed I was low. Will take forever to hopefully ward off osteoporosis as sisters’ have been diagnosed with it. Sometimes Vit B complex for energy.

dogsmother Mon 07-Dec-20 07:31:41

Vit D because the cod liver oil (common source) always comes back at me. Glucosamine and chondroitin because I’ve galloping arthritis. The rest I rely on a balanced diet for. I do eat well.

Calendargirl Mon 07-Dec-20 07:24:09

Cod liver oil, chewable vitamin c.

Take prescribed vitamin d & calcium for osteoporosis.

Urmstongran Mon 07-Dec-20 07:23:20

None.

I think a good and varied diet is sufficient. I recall years ago a nurse saying they just give you expensive wee!