Gransnet forums

AIBU

A tad disappointed

(17 Posts)
BlueBelle Fri 11-Dec-20 15:28:01

Gosh I couldn’t think of anything worse I can imagine how it is making you feel
Definitely swap it for something you’d enjoy shame to waste the money
Why is everybody getting their Christmas presents two weeks before Christmas ?? This is the second thread about receiving inappropriate presents

chocolatepudding Fri 11-Dec-20 15:01:13

I have always admired HGV drivers and how they manoeuvre these enormous juggernauts. DH bought me an hour's driving lesson in one for Christmas a few years ago. We started at the truck driving school headquarters in a nearby town and the boss drove a 40 ton articulated truck to a local airfield - now used as an industrial estate with a power station and the runway is used for learner drivers. It was great and learning how to turn the truck around was challenging. After I had driven for 50 minutes the boss asked DH if he would like to have a go so he had 10 minutes behind the wheel. We then headed back to the HQ and had to get off the road completely to let an abnormal load come through. A thoroughly enjoyable afternoon and far better value than some gift experience company's offer.

We live near to a very low railway bridge and often have to stop large lorries going past before the bridge is hit. Some drivers say "you don't know what its like to drive one of these monsters", "oh yes I do" I reply - cue a surprised look

stormy54 Fri 11-Dec-20 12:53:29

I bought Mrs S a Ferrari experience at Silverstone. Her grin when she finished was from ear to ear.
Driving at 200mph down Hanger Straight in a red Ferrari, a once in a life time experience.
Also bought a micro-light flight, it took about 18 months to fly due to wrong weather.

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 11-Dec-20 12:41:37

The fantasy of driving a Ferrari may sound great but the reality may be very different. Surely the driving would be on a track rather than on public roads? In any case if I were you I'd see if the gift could be exchanged for something more sedate like a champagne tea in a hotel - much nicer.

Ashcombe Fri 11-Dec-20 12:38:26

My ex H bought me a drive in an Aston Martin. I hated it! It was a pouring wet day, the seat wasn’t adjusted and was too low for me to see above the steering wheel and I’ve driven an automatic for too long to cope with a manual change!

Apart from that ...........

It reflected the inability of my ex to think things through from the point of view of someone else.

Septimia Fri 11-Dec-20 12:27:27

A friend gave us a balloon flight. Not something we'd have chosen, but we thought we'd give it a go. Unfortunately the only company near enough to us (and it wasn't that near!) kept having weather problems and the flights were repeatedly cancelled. In the end they gave up trying to fly from the area and suggested we contact the gifting company.

We were able to swap the balloon flight for more than one other experience. Again things we wouldn't otherwise have done, but very enjoyable.

So, yes, see if you can exchange the driving experience for something else.

yggdrasil Fri 11-Dec-20 12:23:08

My daughter last year gave me & my partner a trip to a vineyard experience. Not ny sort of thing, and none that near me. ( It was only to happen after March, so wasn't possible eventually). But in any case, I was able to swap for a steam railway experience just down the road for a family, so we can take the grandkids next year

sodapop Fri 11-Dec-20 12:17:36

Why do people not consider the recipient when they give a gift. This is the gift your brother in law wants clearly. I would see if it can be changed then explain to your brother in law. It is a generous gift just not for you.

glammanana Fri 11-Dec-20 12:07:39

I would get in touch with the Gifting Company and ask if it can be exchanged for possibly a day away or a trip around a posh car factory which I'm sure your husband would enjoy give your ticket to your BIL and just say thanks but no thanks.

Callistemon Fri 11-Dec-20 11:33:34

Namsnanny

It looks as if your BIL has given you both the gift he would most like to receive!!
Yes I'd be miffed too smile

That sounds about right.

I turned down the opportunity of visiting the Morgan factory in favour of shopping in Malvern.
Big mistake! The Morgan factory trip was wonderful, apparently, and shopping in Malvern was very disappointing.

SueDonim Fri 11-Dec-20 11:29:42

I’d love that as a gift but if it’s not your thing, then that is a bit odd. Maybe an exchange is the answer.

Lucretzia Fri 11-Dec-20 11:25:36

I"d rather like a gift like that. In a Lamborghini preferably. Or an Aston Martin Vantage.

But of course if you're not keen on the gift I think you'll have to tell him

Maybe he could give it to someone else and get you something you'd prefer?

Luckygirl Fri 11-Dec-20 11:20:29

I am absolutely certain that nobody would give me such a gift!

Heavens - what can you do? You will have to tell him if you plan to swap it.

What a crazy idea for a present!

humptydumpty Fri 11-Dec-20 11:17:44

Could you use the Ferrari experiences in the same way, as passengers?

Namsnanny Fri 11-Dec-20 11:16:41

It looks as if your BIL has given you both the gift he would most like to receive!!
Yes I'd be miffed too smile

B9exchange Fri 11-Dec-20 11:16:39

I would get in touch with the gift experience company, you can usually swap these experiences for something else. Should get you a nice luxury hotel break when we open up again? And yes, quite right to be miffed, although you can take it as a bit of a compliment that DH's brother thinks you are both up to it! grin

lincolnimp Fri 11-Dec-20 10:59:19

Both my DH and his brother are car fanatics.
DH and I have just celebrated significant birthdays, one day apart, he being 10 years older than me.
Gift from his brother?
2 'driving experiences ' to drive a Ferrari.
I drive, but only a car that I have become used to.
I have no desire to be put in the position of having to drive an expensive, unknown car in public.
As my DH is now 80 I am not sure that he will actually be allowed to take up his gift either, so may not be able to make use of mine either.
When I pointed this out to him, he said---well, you can drive twice!!!!
Am I allowed to be a little.miffed?
DH doesn't see a problem .

Just to add. For last Christmas I bought DH a trip to the Morgan factory and a drive in a Morgan car, where he was only able to be a passenger as their cut off age for driving is 75