Gransnet forums

AIBU

How to dress over 50

(76 Posts)
JulietFoxtrot Sat 12-Dec-20 22:28:49

AIBU to think that Gransnet could update this article, and not just keep republishing the same information it has already published this year several times before? I loved this article when it first came out, but come on Gransnet, it’s time to write something different!

TrendyNannie6 Sun 13-Dec-20 09:35:02

I quite frankly find it hilarious that there’s even an article telling you how you should dress after 50, how patronising! I wear what I want to wear at 63 always have done always will,Always dress for myself no one else, just wear what you want to wear regardless of fashion etc surely, I’m quite a confident person so don’t feel I need advice as to what to wear, but looking at some of the clothes advertised I think they need updating! Although some might like them, just wear what you want that’s my advice, each to their own

M0nica Sun 13-Dec-20 09:35:46

I am another who cannot see the point of the 'How to dress over 50.' When you consider the vast range of heights, widths, hair colours, lifestyle, budgets and tastes of women over 50, plus the enormous age range, lets face it 'over 50' includes all the over 100s, anyone trying to advise is on a hiding to nothing .

I always think that section is a classic example of 'age appropriate' dressing - and that went out with ark.

I tried the quiz, for most questions none of the options appealed. I ended up choosing the options I least disliked and ended up being defined as 'English Country' and looking at an illustration that held no appeal whatsoever.

Spinnaker Sun 13-Dec-20 09:36:15

This was my result !

Bombshell
Va va voom. Whether you're wearing a polka dot print, or donning a stunning red dress, you're the one who always ups the glamour stakes! Dressed up or down, you always look fabulous - what's your secret ?

My secret is knowing how to answer a quiz to get the right answer when I'm still sat in my dressing gown looking a right frump and need to get moving and into the shower tchgrin

CraftyGranny Sun 13-Dec-20 09:46:29

Spinnaker ditto grin grin

CraftyGranny Sun 13-Dec-20 09:48:22

That is Ditto last paragraph ! blush

Mamissimo Sun 13-Dec-20 09:50:56

What we really need is an article on how to get dressed stylishly when you can no longer stand on one leg to get your trousers on, can't bend down to get your socks off without getting dizzy, can't do zips up at the back......?

DanniRae Sun 13-Dec-20 12:22:21

I can't even find the quiz!!! confused

glammanana Sun 13-Dec-20 12:31:45

I've never changed my style for years I know what suits me and stick to it,my Levi jeans are my favourite I've had them for years and a 3/4 top finished off with a scarf always looks good for me,Laura Ashley print dresses for summer some I have had for 20yrs and bring out every year.

Marmight Sun 13-Dec-20 12:53:24

Who is Viola Davis when she’s at home? ?. Apparently my style is Country which is just as well as that’s where I live. I don’t give a fig about advice on what I should wear appropriate to my age. I just sling on whatever is comfortable and during this last Lockdown it’s been Next jeggings with a variety of tops to suit the occasion - washing up/watching tv/walking/ordering on line/housework/preparing the evening’s cocktail for one ?

Jules48 Sun 13-Dec-20 13:14:46

I agree, TrendyNannie,that the article - and similar ones in magazines - is patronising and inappropriate. But perhaps people would value tips and ideas on different styles and so on? So maybe it’s the title that’s wrong - not “ How to dress..”, but maybe “Sharing ideas for stylish dressing...”or some such.

FannyCornforth Sun 13-Dec-20 13:19:28

Marmight I don't know who Viola Davis is either, but I should imagine that she was used a very clumsy way to shoehorn in a woman of colour.

I must say having to choose between Davis, Dench, Fonda and Mary Berry was a bit odd.

Jules48 Sun 13-Dec-20 13:22:55

Yes, I agree, FannyCornforth, - I don’t want to look like any of those women!

Greeneyedgirl Sun 13-Dec-20 13:45:22

Good grief. This idea of dressing “appropriately” at certain ages doesn’t sit well with me, a child of the 60s. grin

Blossoming Sun 13-Dec-20 13:50:34

English country for me. It’s not too far off really though at the moment warm fleecy hoodies are my favourite item of clothing. Maybe Over 50s aren’t supposed to wear them!

Mollygo Sun 13-Dec-20 19:25:08

If you look good in it, wear it.
GN’s often mention brands like Seasalt and I’ve bought a few things there. What I want to know is where I can buy good quality clothes guaranteed to look like they do in the picture and with good delivery. On FB I often get links from sites like Modlily with clothes I’d really like to wear but the reviews on delivery times and costs are poor.

MissAdventure Sun 13-Dec-20 19:39:40

My style is Bag Lady, and I don't need a quiz to tell me so.

M0nica Sun 13-Dec-20 23:25:05

I do not know how my style would be described, but both my DiL and DGD and I share a similar taste. I suppose it is casual and Boho. In my case, straight leg jeans and cords, with colourful sweaters, and a couple of loose dresses.

There was the day when all three of us met up, all in leggings and loose tops and promptly went out wearing similar quilted jackets.

grannyqueenie Mon 14-Dec-20 00:09:05

Miss A ??

BBbevan Mon 14-Dec-20 09:20:38

Just finished the quizz. I came out Classic, but quite honestly I had a job choosing any of the options. I disliked all the patterns and the shoes none of which would be my choice. Can we have a slightly hippy section please. ?

Jules48 Mon 14-Dec-20 09:46:53

I think there might be a fair number of GNers who veer towards a ‘slightly hippy’, casual but stylish look. Market stalls - especially abroad - small boutiques, etc are often my choices. But always keen to hear of suitable shops grin

midgey Mon 14-Dec-20 10:14:07

The joy of being 50 is that you just don’t care what you ‘should’ be doing/wearing surely? Though 50 was a long time ago for me!

Millie22 Mon 14-Dec-20 10:20:25

I read it thinking it was something new but no it's the same one as before possibly the third time. There was one of my quotes on a previous one but its gone now. Fuddy duddy clothes anyway.

Puzzler61 Mon 14-Dec-20 13:54:10

Your 3rd picture is how I’d like to look Jules48, even the hair. I think it’s age appropriate for mature ladies. Alas I am not as slim or tall as that model but I can dream ...

M0nica Mon 14-Dec-20 14:08:29

Two of the images show women wearing scarves, as does the country casual picture. I hate scarves, I have tried them but they drive me nuts. I cannot stand extra clutter in my life, least of all in my clothes.The only exception is warm woolly scarves in winter firmy tucked into my coat.

Calendargirl Mon 14-Dec-20 14:50:44

The quiz said I was ‘one chic lady.

What a load of rubbish, could not be further from the truth.

Had never heard of Viola Davies, and all the others were over 80, so didn’t want to pick any of them.