Gransnet forums

AIBU

Impersonal Christmas cards

(77 Posts)
dahlia Wed 16-Dec-20 15:00:49

Along with mass-addressed and ready printed cards from furniture shops, clothing companies, etc., some cards now arrive from friends with printed greetings inside and the address printed on a label on the envelope. I know sometimes as we get older it becomes difficult to write by hand, but these come from perfectly able people who seem to have given up on the personal touch completely.

Redhead56 Fri 18-Dec-20 12:17:04

I don’t mind printed cards or labels at least they have made the effort. We started getting email happy Christmas it really annoyed me. I take the time to pick cards queue up for stamps etc. I said to my husband last year I will not be sending cards to these people again. They are just down right idle more capable and fitter than me.

Mapleleaf Fri 18-Dec-20 11:42:04

Thank goodness for such companies as moonpig at this time. It means that those of us not venturing far, or unable to venture far, can still send a card to those who are special to us.
I felt quite uneasy the other day trying to choose some special family cards in a shop because a lot of other shoppers were trying to do the same, making social distancing nigh on impossible. In the end I grabbed a few quickly, even though I would have preferred to browse, and got out of the way, vowing that any more cards (and I need a couple of special birthday cards) will be bought via the internet until it’s safer to linger and browse, and if the recipients are unhappy, well, quite frankly, “tough”. (Though I know they won’t be).
So, yes, OP, I think you are being unreasonable.

Naninka Thu 17-Dec-20 23:21:53

say*

Naninka Thu 17-Dec-20 23:21:36

I just came off the phone to my Mum who is "mature" to day the least. She thanked me profusely for BOTH cards I'd sent her. Both arrived this morning - one first-class and the other second-class!!! I am definitely losing the plot...

tictacnana Thu 17-Dec-20 22:42:05

I painted Christmas cards onto specially bought hand made paper one year. Most recipients were thrilled but my niece in law said “ If you’re so hard up don’t bother with cards. “ I now paint and have cards printed. They are very well received.

Jayne16 Thu 17-Dec-20 20:54:19

Be thankful that these people are alive to send cards and you are alive to receive them. Everything else has no importance.

chrissyh Thu 17-Dec-20 19:16:56

As I am self-isolating, I have bought all my special cards online for the first time ever which means I can choose the card, compose a verse or write a special message and have the card sent direct. I was especially glad to do this for my DD who is a front line NHS worker and working all over Christmas. None of the words in the cards were appropriate saying have a wonderful/special Christmas. She was absolutely delighted with this special, personalised card. You can have them sent direct as in some cases the cost of the card includes postage so if you have it sent directly you don't have to pay postage again.

nadateturbe Thu 17-Dec-20 17:53:21

Although I write mine, I can see now there could be good reasons for people sending printed ones. I certainly wouldn't be offended or annoyed at getting one.
In any case I will be relearning how to do labels. Off topic but when I worked I did all sorts of much more difficult tasks on computer. Shame to lose all the skills.

Lynda152 Thu 17-Dec-20 17:48:57

Rather an old fashioned view point maybe? This year I have sent cards to fewer people but let them know I have donated to charity instead. This also saves trees and helps the planet as no pollution from delivery vans. The people I especially wanted to send cards to I used an online company, Thortful, who print my chosen words plus the address. Quality cards that are more expensive than a pack of Christmas cards. No Covid risk for me buying the cards, queueing to buy the stamps or posting. Those that care about me will appreciate my effort in making sure I wish them a Merry Christmas whilst keeping myself safe from Covid 19. ?‍♀️

LizziesMom Thu 17-Dec-20 17:37:04

What a strange thing to be upset and/or offended about...surely it's not that big of a deal, right? Sounds like you are just seeking out reasons to be critical, judgmental and complain because someone was thoughtful enough to send you a card, albeit not up to your standards. Yikes!

cc Thu 17-Dec-20 16:31:46

I use printed labels as it helps me to keep addresses up to date, and it also saves me time writing the envelopes so I have more time to write messages in the card. Why should you care how the envelopes are addressed?
The thing that I don't like is the round robin printed letters in cards, though it is nice to know what is happening to old friends whom you no longer see.
All in all I'm pleased to hear from people at Christmas, however they choose to do their cards.

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 16:04:51

2mason16 I didn't realise Moonpig was in Australia too (I need to get with it).
It cost nearly £10 to post them on top of the cost of the cards.

cornishpatsy Thu 17-Dec-20 16:04:07

In January a friend of mine orders her cards from Moonpig for Birthdays throughout the year and Christmas. As she has been doing it for a few years all the addresses and dates have been stored and which cards were sent previously making it an easy process.

Hetty58 Thu 17-Dec-20 16:03:51

I send very few cards these days, just the very old friends, neighbours and family members get them.

Thank Heavens I write them by hand (I'd never have realised that printing was so offensive, dahlia). They're quite a recent 'tradition' that seems to be on the decline now.

123kitty Thu 17-Dec-20 15:53:30

I think you should send the card back with a note (hand written obviously) telling the sender you are returning their card as it's not up to the quality or standard you expect and could not possibly display it in your home.

2mason16 Thu 17-Dec-20 14:40:05

This year for family and friends in Australia I went into Moonpig Australia, and their cards arrived 2 days later! They loved them as I personalised them with photos our last lovely holiday together - such happy memories. Hope it isn't too long before we see our precious grandchildren again.

Wendy Thu 17-Dec-20 13:47:36

I have heard that some people are worried about the cards having been licked down. Perhaps she is doing hers so you don’t have to worry.

Secondwind Thu 17-Dec-20 13:39:41

I think I may have to resort to that sooner than I hoped - my arthritic thumb was really paining me writing the cards!

Jillybird Thu 17-Dec-20 13:19:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

grandtanteJE65 Thu 17-Dec-20 12:50:55

I just do not understand how anyone can get het-up about this.

A Christmas card is just that, a sigh that friends and family are thinking of you and wishing you a happy Christmas and New Year.

They have never been more personal than a holiday postcard.

Considering the cost of postage, you are all lucky to get any cards!

Marydoll Thu 17-Dec-20 12:42:46

Lupin, I've been shielding since March, so my very kind postman takes my cards for me, as he is the one emptying the post box.

I'm fortunate to be able to put postage stamps on my priority online delivery, no need to go anywhere near a post office.

Printing labels makes life so much easier for me, as I too have arthritic hands and you only have to set it up once, then just need to amend if necessary. Just an idea for anyone who is struggling.
Labels are ordered from Ebay, so all sorted. Of course you do need a printer, which may be a problem for people.

Callistemon Thu 17-Dec-20 12:25:34

jocork
I wish I was technologically competent enough to print my own labels. It would save so much time. Maybe I'll get someone to show me how for next year.

You can find a template online - Avery labels do them which fit their labels (and other labels which ae a bit cheaper too).
I add a little Christmas motif in the corner eg a Christmas tree, a snowman, bells etc which can be found if you are in Word or other programme.

It's easier for the Royal Mail to read and also, as some envelopes are red or other colours, makes the address much clearer.

Lupin Thu 17-Dec-20 12:21:25

I would love to send all cards by post and in my own handwriting. However I have been struggling with an arthritic hip that is getting worse and I can't walk to the post box which is a bus stop away. Go on the bus then I hear you say, and I have in the past. Now I struggle to walk to the bus stop. I don't like to moan so maybe every recipient does not know of my problem. I receive each card with gratitude - some of those are Moonpig. I am thankful it exists for me and others who use it - maybe because they are busy running homes, children and a full time job on their own, struggling with a disability, or for reasons I know not of. Please try not to concern yourself over such a petty issue.

GeorgyGirl Thu 17-Dec-20 12:19:30

I'm very old-fashioned, a handwritten card using a fountain pen with lovely blue ink and handwritten envelope keeps it personal. I'm not a fan of pre-printed ones, I don't think you can beat that personal touch and you are giving a bit of yourself, so taken time to actually think about that person. I find printed ones so cold and business-like.

Chimaera Thu 17-Dec-20 12:10:39

Printed address labels for us - we have over 60 to write and over 40 to post - but I write the cards. This year we have made them all too (seemed like a nice idea in September!)