Gransnet forums

AIBU

Men wearing tights under shorts, AIBU

(114 Posts)
Alison333 Wed 27-Jan-21 13:40:50

On my daily walks I can't help noticing that about two out of three male runners are wearing little skimpy shorts with woolly tights. Why not wear joggers or leggings? When did this start and WHY?

Baggs Sun 18-Jun-23 15:30:22

Girls wear tights under very short skirts. What's the difference?

Ali08 Sun 18-Jun-23 15:13:46

At least they haven't got everything hanging out & jiggling about like the opposite sex!!

annodomini Wed 14-Jun-23 13:15:20

As the thread was opened in January, it seems quite reasonable that men who were out running in cold weather would wear tights under their running shorts to keep their muscles warm.

Foxygloves Wed 14-Jun-23 12:54:45

I know it’s an old thread but aren’t these known as “skins” ? My GS wears them for rugby.

lemsip Wed 14-Jun-23 11:18:29

a thread from Wed 27-Jan- 2021 is usually reopened by a scammer,

, that's why the persons post was deleted by GN.

biglouis Wed 14-Jun-23 10:29:56

Saw a program on Black Rod (when it was still a man) and he wore tights rather than just stockings under his knee breeches because it had a better effect and the stockings could wrinkle. Black Rod is, of course, a woman at this time.

grandtanteJE65 Tue 13-Jun-23 16:52:58

My bet would be that they feel cold without the leggings or feel that track suitts don't give enough support, but they dislike wearing a jock strap.

I haven't seen this male attire myself, but back in the 1990s when miniskirts were briefly back in fashion, I felt the young girls wearing them had completely misunderstood the purpose of a mini skirt when I saw them wearing cyclist's shorts under them!

sodapop Wed 07-Jun-23 12:56:02

This thread was from 2021 have trends changed now ?

Shelflife Wed 07-Jun-23 11:18:17

Each to their own Alison, don't think it really matters!

Blossoming Wed 07-Jun-23 10:58:04

Reported

USTradeEnt Wed 07-Jun-23 10:06:56

Message deleted by Gransnet. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

MissAdventure Thu 04-Feb-21 15:36:54

Women comment adversely on other women's choice of clothes, or tattoos, or anything else on here.

Just the mention of a cold shoulder top gets people unbelievably riled.

Puzzled Thu 04-Feb-21 14:59:23

Do all women comment adversely on other women wearing tights under shorts?
Tolerance may be shorter than the shorts?

Bridgeit Tue 02-Feb-21 18:26:40

Because they can??but it doesn’t mean they should ?

PECS Tue 02-Feb-21 17:03:10

Blossoming I'd be telling a lie if I said I didn't raise an eyebrow occasionally at some choices of attire grin but probably because I wear clothes others might consider "odd", inappropriate , or plain unfashionable!

Blossoming Tue 02-Feb-21 10:13:25

I’m not bothered PECS though I do occasionally wonder if some people never look in a mirror. That’s unkind and judgmental of me, but in my defence I keep those thoughts to myself. I wore some outlandish stuff in my youth. I do like to see formal dress uniforms though, my inner costumier loves looking at the detail and construction.

PECS Tue 02-Feb-21 09:54:56

We do seem to want to.police what people wear... does it start with the English love of uniforms??

I personally do not find uniforms atractive but I know people admire them.

Blinko Tue 02-Feb-21 07:31:06

janeainsworth

Lasses on the Toon on a Friday night.

I've seen this kind of attire in Birmingham in February....

Harmonypuss Tue 02-Feb-21 04:13:01

I think it's just for added warmth.

It's amazing how much difference there is between bare legs and just a pair of normal tights, I'm surprised there haven't been more women who regularly wear tights in the colder months haven't already said this from personal experience.

My partner who works on the motorways, will occasionally (when it's truly bitterly cold) put a pair of tights under his thermals and hi-vis trousers for an extra layer of warmth and he's a Yorkshire lad, not a woossy southerner either!

Rufus2 Mon 01-Feb-21 14:27:21

A video to watch, Rufus, and anyone else

Elegran Thanks, but no thanks! hmm
The opening video shot made me think, for a moment, that you were leading me astray again. Man boobs!? No way, although I can see why you might have bookmarked it! grin
I stuck with it, despite the lack of English captions to explain its purpose, hoping they would start doing handstands, but no such luck!
They were too good in the modesty deportment stakes! hmm
OoRoo

Elegran Mon 01-Feb-21 13:13:44

George IV had an answer to the problem, when he visited Scotland in 1822. He was dressed A La Highlander (he loved dressing up) but his kilt was far too short, well above his fat knees, so he added pink silk (wrinkled) tights. georgianera.wordpress.com/2015/08/04/one-and-twenty-daft-days-in-1822-king-george-iv-visits-scotland/

Sir Davis Wilkie immortalised the scene in paint, but slimmed the King down a lot, lengthened the kilt, and left out the tights.

MissAdventure Mon 01-Feb-21 13:09:26

I can report back that they manage. Admirably! wink

MissAdventure Mon 01-Feb-21 13:00:51

They do!?
I'm off for a look.

Elegran Mon 01-Feb-21 12:59:42

A video to watch, Rufus, and anyone else www.facebook.com/thekiltedcoaches/videos/3639675672787576
They have many more inspirational exercise videos, all while wearing the kilt.

Rufus2 Mon 01-Feb-21 11:03:18

I'd prefer bare legged, hairy men anyday! smile
MissAdventure
Oh dear! That's me out of the running,then. sad
How do joggers in kilts manage this problem? grin
OoRoo