Gransnet forums

AIBU

To wonder why people don’t read the thread

(114 Posts)
Lucca Sat 30-Jan-21 11:37:11

Ok so I probably am BU. I just don’t understand how it happens. Do posters literally read the original post and reply without reading ANY other posts ? I’ve seen some threads where OP has returned several times to say the issue is sorted but posters still keep posting ! I’ve heard the excuse of not having time to read the thread but in that case why are you spending time on GN at all ??

M0nica Wed 03-Feb-21 15:59:42

Most, if not all, problem threads involve a problem that is not singular to the poster.

That they have solved their problem does not mean that further communications will not help anybody else to whom the thread might be helpful.

GrannyRose15 Wed 03-Feb-21 15:24:26

Jacky B. That would be a great feature. it would really help to keep track.

JackyB Wed 03-Feb-21 09:47:35

Grannyrose What I'd actually like to do is reply to individual comments that I have read and it appear under the comment rather than at the end of the thread.

You can use the quote function for that.

In all the threads where people have been asking for the OP's posts to appear in green throughout the thread there have always been a couple of people who say that this works on their device.

Can any of you post a screenshot of this please? GNHQ have always said it is not implemented on GN.

GrannyRose15 Tue 02-Feb-21 23:52:34

So I haven't read all of the thread - so what? What I'd actually like to do is reply to individual comments that I have read and it appear under the comment rather than at the end of the thread. This is possible on some of the newspaper sites I visit.

But of course if you don't want to read what I have to say there is nothing forcing you.

Gransnet has been a lifeline for me during lockdown. It has replaced all the chats I would normally be having with real people - at work, at the school gate, at church, and at various social events with which I normally fill my life.

Don't knock it!

Gin Tue 02-Feb-21 23:39:35

It amazes me how many people post a view or point that is exactly the same as one someone else has previously posted. What is the point? Do they just want to see their name in print?

Witzend Tue 02-Feb-21 10:45:23

I can understand anyone not reading pages of it, but I can’t understand anyone replying when they haven’t even read the OP properly. And so they give ‘advice’ that ignores some basic fact the OP has stated clearly enough.,

OurKid1 Sun 31-Jan-21 15:04:40

On Facebook there's an option to "turn off commenting" once an issue has been solved, or even if the OP has had enough of the replies! That's what we need here.

Lucca Sun 31-Jan-21 14:56:03

I hereby apologise for using BU.......obviously I thought I was being very cool. !!

Atqui Sun 31-Jan-21 14:32:06

I’m sure there was a Monty Python sketch once made up of lots of abbreviations

Atqui Sun 31-Jan-21 14:30:20

Should I add it to the list? grin

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-Jan-21 14:06:46

Ah, got it! took a while smile

Atqui Sun 31-Jan-21 14:00:35

So sorry MaggieMaybe .I truly didn’t get what BU meant- I must have been HASM

sodapop Sun 31-Jan-21 13:29:15

I am using my Samsung tablet. The highlighting doesn't happen on my phone.

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-Jan-21 13:18:41

Well, Atqui, I think YABVVU! wink

Atqui Sun 31-Jan-21 13:16:31

BU

Atqui Sun 31-Jan-21 13:16:17

AIBU - yes but my little brain didn’t recognise it when it was just B?

Maggiemaybe Sun 31-Jan-21 12:29:44

Gwyneth

Thank you to the posters who answered re acronym BU as I was going to ask too. Would it not be possible for posters who use acronyms not on the list to add them on? This would be really helpful. This is happening more and more frequently where posters are using ‘new’ acronyms. Thank you in the hope that this can be done. ??

AIBU is the first item on the list of Abbreviations and Acronyms. When someone asks AIBU, the usual answer is YABU or YANBU.

JackyB Sun 31-Jan-21 11:46:28

PamelaJ1

No, you aren’t. BU I mean but I am getting used to it happening. I used to get cross if I had had a totally, brilliant, innovative answer/ solution to an OP’s problem only to find someone further down the thread also had the same idea and got all the praise.?
Now I just go into my corner and cry?

This so often happens in real life, too! At least, I seem to remember it back when we were allowed to convene in groups of more than 2!

Gwyneth Sun 31-Jan-21 10:36:38

Thank you to the posters who answered re acronym BU as I was going to ask too. Would it not be possible for posters who use acronyms not on the list to add them on? This would be really helpful. This is happening more and more frequently where posters are using ‘new’ acronyms. Thank you in the hope that this can be done. ??

Lucca Sun 31-Jan-21 10:25:20

inishowen

I dont read all the posts if its more than one page. Sorry if that annoys the op!

So would you post having not read ?

inishowen Sun 31-Jan-21 10:01:35

I dont read all the posts if its more than one page. Sorry if that annoys the op!

BlueBelle Sun 31-Jan-21 06:25:26

It appears on iPad you DONT get the Original posters in green apart from the original post itself which is a shame
And no ‘See all’
We really are the poor relations and not valued very much

CanadianGran Sun 31-Jan-21 05:41:25

I admit to doing both. Sometimes there are 10 pages of discussion, so i will scroll through and read a few from each page, or look for the OP's additions to the thread.

I also am in a different time zone, so miss out on a lot of lively back and forth discussion. I tend to see new threads when they have already been in action all day, and answer in the middle of your night.

And I do agree with OP's posts being highlighted in green so we can keep track easily.

Kim19 Sun 31-Jan-21 04:04:06

Sodapop, I'd be okay with that. What I aim for in the games is spontaneity and I don't look back.

Blossoming Sat 30-Jan-21 22:18:16

‘See all’ is a Mumsnet feature.