Gransnet forums

AIBU

Rise and recline chairs

(13 Posts)
GrannySomerset Thu 11-Feb-21 23:15:51

Thank you all for your help. We have gone with a local company who will make it to his measurement and it will look OK - don’t want our sitting room looking like an old people’s home, even though it is. Not paying VAT helps a bit too. Will let you know how we get on.

Having been dropping the idea into the conversation for weeks he now thinks it is a marvellous idea and can’t wait!

welbeck Thu 11-Feb-21 23:07:18

never ever let young children play around such items.
there have been some terrible accidents, crushed by clambering underneath.

Spice101 Sat 06-Feb-21 11:30:51

Just make sure you get one that has dual motors so that the back rest and the leg rest can be operated seperately

aggie Fri 05-Feb-21 21:18:54

My OH had Parkinson’s and bought one of those chairs , the
OT didn’t think it was a good buy , she got him a made to measure chair free , it was better
We sent it back when he died , my Son in Law uses the one we bought so it didn’t go to waste

trisher Fri 05-Feb-21 21:13:48

Rise and recline chairs are classed as a disability aid and are VAT free www.gov.uk/guidance/vat-relief-on-certain-goods-if-you-have-a-disability

Nonogran Fri 05-Feb-21 20:40:31

Research & review as many manufacturers & chairs as you can. Don't buy "cheap" from the internet! My defacto BIL bought cheap & because he flops heavily down into the chair he broke it, twice! After a short time it had to be broken up & sawn into bits & taken to the tip. It was less than 24 months old. If he had "lowered" himself this might have prevented the back legs fracturing.
My mum explored the prospect too & a bit like buying double glazing we discovered that actually quite large discounts are available, if you ask!

welbeck Fri 05-Feb-21 20:39:43

as your husband has a disability, could you contact community OT. they supplied such a chair for a neighbour of mine, she didn;t have to pay anything.
it was not means tested, but needs tested. ie she needed it, and they supplied it.
also if his condition has or is likely to progress you could ask them to come and do an assessment to see if there are any other adaptions that might help.
this was done for neighbour, she got extra handles, banisters, special steps and guardrail at front and back door.

midgey Fri 05-Feb-21 20:24:22

You will not be entitled to vat relief as the chair unless the chair has specific adaptations for your husband. I am not convinced that the huge price is justified, the chairs are pretty standard, as in small, medium or large. Having said all that I am sitting in my husband’s chair and it is very comfortable! It is well worth buying the insurance that HSL offer, we found that it was worth the money.

trisher Fri 05-Feb-21 19:05:05

GrannySomerset when my mum needed one of these we took her to a disability aids centre where they had a range of chairs she could try out. The girl working there was a great help and gave us lots of advice. The one that suited mum best was not the most expensive one. I realise such places won't be open now but I wonder if there is a centre near you where you might get advice. If you do buy remember your DH should not be charged VAT on the chair.

crazyH Fri 05-Feb-21 18:25:01

GrannySomerset, just copy and paste it on to a new thread. Then , message HQ and/or make a note on the thread, saying that it has moved.

cornishpatsy Fri 05-Feb-21 18:20:06

I have no experience of that company but Trustpilot give 79% of 5 star reviews.

GrannySomerset Fri 05-Feb-21 17:21:06

Sorry - should be in Ask a Gran but I don’t know how to move it. The

GrannySomerset Fri 05-Feb-21 17:20:26

DH has Parkinson’s and is finding his much loved arm chair hard to get up from and with insufficient support as he lurches sideways and will sooner or later crash to the floor.

We have had a visit from Oak Tree Mobility today and have HSL coming on Tuesday. Both will make a chair to DH’s measurements and needs and both will be expensive.

Has anyone any experience of these or other companies? Not concerned about the cost as much as getting the right solution to the problem, so any guidance would be really welcome. DH is very tall (was 6ft 4in, probably 6ft 2in now) with very long legs, so something off the shelf won’t do.