Gransnet forums

AIBU

No free returns anymore

(30 Posts)
Yvettehartland1 Tue 09-Feb-21 12:37:37

Has anyone else noticed that online retailers are no longer offering free returns? Now having to pay between £3 - £4 to return items

ElaineI Sat 13-Feb-21 14:20:07

I return to shops that are still allowing it eg. Next has a window and desk at the door and M&S is open if they have a foodstore, same with supermarkets. Most online retailers I use have free returns still and some use local stores for click, collect and return.

Candelle Sat 13-Feb-21 18:45:33

Hi Doodledog
Any profit is profit. Having an unsold item is a loss. Even 50p on huge economy of scale is generating a profit.

I know it is difficult for people in the UK to understand that an item priced at, say £6.00 is not made with slave labour but this company is ethical and has very strict protocols within its manufacturing and does not use slave labour. Rather than have this item unsold, it is sold off for a small profit.

I was not suggesting that I ought to have free delivery/returns. Ideally, I don't want either! This company is (I think) stopping click and collect post Covid which is a huge shame. It is definitely stopping returning garments back to its stores and it is this which I find extremely annoying to the point that I will not be purchasing from them.

No, I know that this huge company will probably not miss my custom in the slightest - I have said it is a huge operation but... if many people were to do the same, it may just notice!

I did mention that their sizing is bonkers, I could take anything from a size ten to sixteen. As returns back to the shops is, from 1 March, to be forbidden, why should I have to pay return postage? That is my point.

If I could click and collect, or go into the shop and buy several items in several sizes and take them home to try on (rather than removing layers of winter clothing in a tiny cubicle), returning anything unwanted back to the shop, I would be happy. Postage does not come into my equation... but would soon as garments will not be returnable to shops.

Sparkling Sun 14-Feb-21 05:43:29

I would not buy clothes on line to try on and return, too much hassle, I just hope when this is over that there will be actual shops trading. I get the odd thing from supermarkets now. I can wait, most of us have too much anyway.

Grandma11 Sun 14-Feb-21 06:53:13

I used to shop regularly online in a large Catalogue store that sold Plus sized fashion and general household furnishings, spending around 2k a year. For many years delivery and returns were free, then they started Charging £3 per order, or offering a Delivery Pass for a set fee that worked out much cheaper for regular customers like me. Since Lockdown started last year, I haven't had the need to buy my usual new clothes as we have not been on holiday or out to events where I felt that I needed them, and was trying to avoid any risk of contracting the virus from goods that obviously could not be washed before handling to try them.on.
This week I went online to their store in hope of buying some new nightwear, and was quite shocked to see that the range on offer was very poor indeed, very little choice in Colour or style where previously there would have been several.pages to choose from in every section. The delivery pass is non existent now, Delivery charges and returns would have cost half the price of the item whether it fit or not, and the nice 100% Cotton nighter that I used to buy regularly was still.made in the same style, but the fabric had now been swooped for cheap 100% polyester. Needless to say that they have lost a customer for good, I would rather take a pattern off my old Nightware and get my sewing machine out to make my own, using pure cotton Jersey fabric which I can wash before handling it!