Gransnet forums

AIBU

Time scale could be a week or 6 months+ how do l stay positive

(63 Posts)
Janburry Fri 26-Feb-21 12:33:50

Due to DH failing health we are on the housing list for a bungalow and have been for nearly a year, it could be next week or 6 months + and its really getting me down. I love gardening but can't see the point as we can't take it with us, we have some pots and baskets but realise the garden won't be very big so am trying not to buy more, l have sorted out things for rubbish, recyling and sold what l can but have come to a stand still, l can't start packing as it could be months, but if l don't it could be next week, and DH can't do anything, my children will help on moving day but until then I'm in limbo and starting to feel myself getting depressed by it all. Do l need a good shake lol

fluttERBY123 Mon 01-Mar-21 22:18:23

Mobile home sites get a very bad press. They need to be looked into very carefully. There is one particular owner of sites who.is regularly reported to be making people's lives on his sites a misery.

maydonoz Mon 01-Mar-21 20:14:55

Hi Janberry. I know this is a very trying time for you, especially as you have all the packing to do yourself.
We had a very challenging time before our last move, which meant our move was delayed by about 3 months due to some legal wrangling by our buyer's mortgage providers. It was very stressful for our buyer as well as ourselves.
So for those 3 months we lived in a few clothes, and with minimal kitchen equipment, everything was packed in boxes ready to go!
It's amazing with how little we can manage when we have to.
As I'm sure you realise, it's really important to label each box clearly so you can find them easily when you get to your new home.
Hope it happens for you soon and that you can settle in quickly.
Just take one day at a time with your packing, try not to let it overwhelm you.
Wishing you luck and hope your move goes smoothly.

queenofsaanich69 Sun 28-Feb-21 17:08:22

I think it’s the time of the year makes you a bit sad as well,just remember Spring is round the corner.People have given you good advice.Might be good to borrow magazines (on line) from the Library and plan how to set up your new place.Very best of luck.

misty34 Sat 27-Feb-21 23:37:29

I agree about mobile homes/caravans they are much nicer these days with central heating etc we bought one a couple of years ago but it was a no go in a North East winter!
Gas bottles have to be used they were costing us £80 pounds each and in winter we went through one a week, plus electricity which is way more expensive than the grid. we were still cold, bedding was damp, a miserable time! Add to that 4000-5000 per year rates it was not sustainable on our budget. Lost a lot of money when we sold too they depreciate like cars. an expensive mistake for us. Warmer climates may be fine.

spottysocks Sat 27-Feb-21 18:41:42

We've downsized from a three-bed council house and into a one bed bungalow that has a bigger garden than the one we left! I agree with the others about getting ready for the move because we only had two weeks notice in order to get everything organized.

In our Local Authority area we were only allowed to" bid" for one bedroomed properties as there is such a housing shortage and as we had a three-bedroomed council house we were moved to the top of the list after a few years or so, we hung on until a bungalow came up, we were lucky one did. Have you considered a flat?

Please don't feel down, enjoy your garden and plan ahead in case something suitable comes up at short notice.

frue Sat 27-Feb-21 17:22:37

Agree with Jane - ask your councillor to get for an update on your situation on the list. When I was a social worker, a query from a councillor (usually around election time) always had us checking everything was in order

welbeck Sat 27-Feb-21 17:09:36

i think OP is in social housing, and waiting for similar, no stairs placement.

Legs55 Sat 27-Feb-21 17:04:40

Hellogirl1 yes some Park homes/Mobile homes have high ground rents but many don't, you have to research. Owners are NOT allowed to set their own rates for gas/electricity, they buy at wholesale prices & sell to the home owners at the same price. I live in a Mobile home, my gas & electricity is mains, my previous home had electricity supplied through the Park owner, gas was Calor, a shared tank & metered.

ElaineRI55 Sat 27-Feb-21 16:46:10

Most of us probably have more clothes, kitchen implements and other things than we can use on a regular basis. As others have said, maybe just pack as many of these as you can, a little bit at a time. If your children are near enough/allowed, would they be able to help a bit in advance of the move to help you pack some boxes and maybe pile them in the best locations?
If lockdown has eased before you move, there may even be some local charities who have volunteers willing to assist you as well.
It's probably the uncertainty about where and when you'll be moving to on top of the general lockdown anxiety we all have that are getting to you.
Do you have any other project/hobby you can focus on while you wait? Maybe sorting and labelling old photos into categories or albums if you've not already done that. Making a year planner for a smaller garden and look up some instructional videos for growing plants that you like but have never tried before? If you get a bigger garden than you expect, that will be a bonus.
Hopefully you won't have to wait too long and it will be worth it when you're settled in your new place. All the best.

Lizbethann55 Sat 27-Feb-21 16:27:14

Probably advice you have heard before but why don't you box up things you want to keep, but don't necessarily need on a day to day basis and find a friends garage space or hire a storage unit to keep them in, giving you less to worry about when the time comes. With regards to your garden, presumably you enjoy the act of gardening as much as the results. So carry on gardening, then your beautiful garden will be a gift of love from you to the new occupants of your home.

starstella Sat 27-Feb-21 16:11:04

I was recently thinking about doing the same ie moving to a bungalow.but I was completely overwhelmed by how much stuff I had.I opted for a chair lift.Now I have to concentrate on getting rid of stuff.I hope i have made the right choice.Good luck.

2mason16 Sat 27-Feb-21 15:54:50

My daughter was moving house just after we had to return to England. While she was busy I opened every cupboard and wardrobe, packed into boxes or bags, then put them back into the cupboards. Everything was ready to go on moving day - she said it was so easy.
Unfortunately one week later her buyers phoned and said there was a whole wardrobe of boxes on the landing full of toys - whoops!

moggie57 Sat 27-Feb-21 15:39:06

I an in the process of moving in the next few weeks.there are cardboard boxes everywhere. And one that says charity shop items.I been told to put everything away that I don't really use and I have.all that's left is the living room stuff and some kitchen stuff.all is packed away.how do you know that won't gave a garden with a bungalowbungalow?

welbeck Sat 27-Feb-21 15:30:38

Op as others have said, it my be be a long wait.
does it have to be a bungalow, or would you consider a flat in a sheltered scheme. they often have a garden area that you might be able to cultivate if that is your interest.
there is more availability in flats, council, housing assn, almshouses/charities.
good luck.

welbeck Sat 27-Feb-21 15:27:52

SooozedaFlooze

Just wondering if you are getting all you are entitled to.. If over pension age apply for Attendance Allowance. If under pension age apply for Personal Independent Payment. In both cases defo apply for Carers Allowance as you are DH carer

OP has said she is a pensioner, so she will not be able to claim carer's allowance.

jenni123 Sat 27-Feb-21 15:00:16

I am in a H A sheltered flat. Flat and building OK BUT I am unable to leave the building if I am alone. There are 6 very heavy fire doors which I cannot hold open and get my wheelchair through, because of shielding I do not have any visitors so cannot get out. I havent been out in over a year. I have joined the council housing list and have been on it for over 3 years, nothing suitable, and the properties I have requested I have not been chosen. I will also have the problem of effecting the move if and when I am lucky enough to find somewhere. there is absolutely no way I can pack and unpack for myself, I will need curtains taking down, light fittings, pictures removed and then need it all putting up in the new place. Nightmare.

Leavesden Sat 27-Feb-21 14:30:26

I would start packing what you don’t use everyday, just leave the essentials so if you suddenly get somewhere you don’t have a terrific rush.

SooozedaFlooze Sat 27-Feb-21 14:03:29

Just wondering if you are getting all you are entitled to.. If over pension age apply for Attendance Allowance. If under pension age apply for Personal Independent Payment. In both cases defo apply for Carers Allowance as you are DH carer

justwokeup Sat 27-Feb-21 13:43:45

Agree with JaneR185 about keeping in weekly contact with the housing office, and try to build a relationship with someone there, so you don’t get forgotten. If you’re at a physical standstill then browse and plan for a few new things, maybe cushion covers or curtains to make the new place look bright. You could also build up a ‘contact’ tick list of who needs to be informed when you move, utilities, post office, bank, Benefits office, and bear in mind those who only write once a year, insurance, membership renewal etc. Also prepare cards or letters with envelopes ready to print out and go to family and friends, with the new address blank for now. You or one of your family could print it out when the time comes. A bit of advance thinking will save time and effort when you’ll be so busy anyway. In the meantime try to plan little treats for both of you so your life isn’t on hold as someone said earlier.

donna1964 Sat 27-Feb-21 13:29:50

If its a Housing Association Bungalow you are on the list for...you will be on the list for alot longer than 6 - 12 months believe me. Think about a couple of years...do you jnow how bad the housing lists are now....especially for Bugalows???

Bluedaisy Sat 27-Feb-21 13:22:06

I’m feeling the same as you at the moment. We are moving Tuesday to a new home I haven’t even seen due to lockdown. We wanted a bungalow but unfortunately there are none available we can afford so I have in mind if the worst comes to worst we can have a stairlift. But...please think about starting to pack now, we’ve been at it all week and didn’t realise we had so much clutter that’s just not necessary. I wished I’d gone through things sooner as next week when we’ve moved I’ve got to unpack it all and find homes for it all, it is truly exhausting. I realise we all live with too much ‘stuff’ , if we go on holiday to stay in a cottage we manage fine on far less so I’m trying my best to be ruthless this time. Good luck and if you start packing and decluttering now I’m sure you’re new bungalow will follow shortly

midgey Sat 27-Feb-21 13:02:50

Janburry if you are waiting for a council bungalow don’t pack yet! You could have to undo them. I do agree with the decluttering though, get all your papers sorted. You could even sort out the photographs! The very best of luck, it will come eventually.

Silvertwigs Sat 27-Feb-21 12:58:35

Any allotments where you are intending to go? You need other people in your life besides a spouse, you sound a real gardener, passionate and lovely! Make enquiries now and you could starting some cuttings and a cheeky transplant here and there!!

Buttonjugs Sat 27-Feb-21 12:57:08

What always worries me about bungalows in hot weather is how you are able to have windows open at night? In summer I sometimes worry about having upstairs windows wide open never mind on the ground floor. It wasn’t a problem for my late mother as she was always cold (heating turned up to 30c in winter!). I don’t think I could cope though.

olliebeak Sat 27-Feb-21 12:35:37

Have you tried offering any of your garden items on Freecycle and/or Freegle?

Many people would be extremely grateful for anything that you no longer want or need for your new home.

What about your current neighbours? You could put a table by your garden gate with a notice to tell people to 'Please Help Yourself!'