Gransnet forums

AIBU

Thinning hair!

(68 Posts)
foxie48 Sun 28-Feb-21 18:14:54

In my 70's and my lovely once thick hair is looking a little threadbare on top. During Covid lockdowns I've grown my hair into a chin length bob but I'd like it a bit fuller on the top. What are people's thoughts on hair pieces?

Peacelily321 Wed 24-Nov-21 19:21:19

I'm 45 and I've suffered from alopecia areata since puberty. I lose patches of hair all over my head and can't say I've ever had a full head of hair since I was 12. I've found Dermmatch to be a really good product to disguise any obvious scalp. It comes in silver grey and white as well as blonde, brunette and auburn. A little goes a long way.
I wouldn't recommend hair pieces as they can actually pull on the remaining hair, or rub the scalp, causing more hair loss. Best to cover scalp patches with makeup and fluff up what you do have with hairspray or fibre powders which you can easily buy from Boots and Sainsbury's.
Also, get your thyroid checked in case it's causing the issue.
If you're really conscious of it, head scarves are very trendy and you can have fun tying them 50s style in a bow etc.
Also remember we've all just been through a global shock which can exacerbate hair fall in some people. I'm currently waiting for my eyelashes to grow back after they fell out in May.

ScaryMamaw Tue 13-Jul-21 05:18:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Poppyred Mon 05-Jul-21 14:39:41

You can buy them on eBay as well - just put in hair fibres in search button. Cheaper, and the same thing - lots of shades to choose from. They have been a life saver for me.

Beswitched Mon 05-Jul-21 14:22:38

I use the nanogen fibres. They sell them in Boots and they're very effective.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Jul-21 13:56:05

Thanks FannyCornforth. I'll have a look. It sounds like a product that could work for many people.

FannyCornforth Mon 05-Jul-21 07:53:35

Hello Nadateturbe!
Fancy me spotting your post!

The ones I got are called Nanogen (which sounds like it could be someone's username!)
The better known one is Topik, but I think that the Nanogen got better reviews on Amazon.
While my hair has probably doubled in thickness in the past 18 months, thanks to the vitamin D deficiency thing, I've still got a weird spot on one of my temples. The hair is only a couple of centimetres long, and you can see the scalp.
The fibres really cover it up.
It comes with a little comb shaped shield to stop you getting it on your face. I also bought some special spray to set it, but I can't see why normal hairspray wouldn't work.
I got it all from Amazon, which is great as you can read the reviews and customers have posted photos.
Like I say, I've only used it around my hairline, but it's relatively cheap, so definitely give it a go. My hair is a medium brown / grey dyed auburn.

nadateturbe Mon 05-Jul-21 07:32:33

Are you going to tell us more about hair fibres FannyCornforth?

MayBee70 Mon 10-May-21 00:13:59

I went grey ages ago. I, too have my mum to thank for my thin hair. I was once shown an old family photo and it was pointed out to me the ancestor with the thin hair that had passed it down to the rest of us.

Artaylar Sun 09-May-21 23:47:49

I've lived with thin hair on top all of my life.......genetics courtesy of mum; Dad had thick brown curly hair until he died last year at the age of 87.

When I was a teenager at school in the 70's, the detective series Kojak was all the rage, so you can imagine what a time I had of it then.

It's not really got any worse since my teens, and I've learned to deal with it, and nowadays, if there is the odd comment, I reply, well thats chemo for you. For the most part this tends to stop offending peeps in their tracks.

I'm now considering something called scalp micro pigmentation, a tatooing of the scalp with 'hair foliciles' to sort of camoflage scalp show in similar sway to hair fibres, but without the faff.

I'm 60 this year, brunette with still no grey hair at all -another genetic trait. If I had a choice though, I'd rather have thicker grey hair than thin brown hair. Will give this scalp micropigmentation a try and see how it goes.

Georgesgran Sun 09-May-21 21:29:01

My hair is very fine, thin and coming out in handfuls! I’ve ordered an Opatra hairbrush from one of the Shopping Channels - probably a waste of money, but I’m willing to give it a try.

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 20:59:04

Regaine doesn’t seem to be doing much for me these days. But I don’t know what I’d be like if I’d never used it. I do envy people with nice hair.

MayBee70 Sun 09-May-21 20:57:37

Because minoxidil is a blood pressure medication. My doctor said she didn’t have a problem with me using it topically but I still got refused it at a chemists one day.

Nancy0 Sun 09-May-21 19:49:18

I didn't know that ....do you know why MayBee70?

MayBee70 Sat 01-May-21 00:25:53

Pharmacist won’t give it to you if you’re over 65.

Nancy0 Sat 01-May-21 00:20:47

Some people think that Regaine works well for thinning hair. You can buy it from Boots.... however,check with pharmacist if you're on medication.

Nancy0 Sat 01-May-21 00:16:56

Some people think that topical Regaine works well.... basically it's Minoxidil ...but check for interaction with medication

Luckylegs Wed 03-Mar-21 14:00:33

I’ve been looking for a messy bun thing on Amazon, boho43 but I’m slightly put off by some reviews mentioning the synthetic hair being like doll’s hair. Could you let me know exactly which one you’re so pleased about as I’m getting dizzy looking for the right colour and shape for me ? I’m grey but still having some blonde highlights put in to try and lift the ‘witchy’ aspect of the grey so it’s difficult to choose.

FannyCornforth Wed 03-Mar-21 08:55:20

Witzend but do you have really lovely nails?

Witzend Wed 03-Mar-21 08:44:07

Re jelly, I could never understand how anyone could eat just one cube a day. Especially if it was the blackcurrant flavour. I have occasionally been known, ahem, to buy one of those just to eat the whole thing.

LaRia44 Tue 02-Mar-21 08:43:16

A cheap and very effective way to help with the look of thinning hair and grey roots too, is to use brown eyeshadow ( if you’re any shade of brunette) applied with a blusher brush, It doesn’t itch and lasts until the next the shampoo.
I have fine hair but a lot of it, although it falls out in handfuls due to stress, which I’ve had a lot of recently.

Maggiemaybe Tue 02-Mar-21 08:05:28

I’d second the messy bun recommendation, Boho. My hair’s baby-fine and damaged easily by any clips, but even for me these are great for occasional use.

dogsmother Tue 02-Mar-21 07:59:19

Boho. What a good idea!

boho43 Mon 01-Mar-21 21:11:00

I have recently purchased a ‘Messy Bun’ scrunchie from Amazon, which is absolutely brilliant. Just put hair in a ponytail or just pull it back, put through the scrunchie, add a couple of pins to secure it, & voila.....a lovely messy bun! Takes about 2 minutes to do. Lots of hair colours to choose from, & excellent quality. Cost around £7. In fact I have just ordered another one.

Hetty58 Mon 01-Mar-21 18:22:04

I use coconut oil on my face - as I'm allergic to so many things. If it gets in your eyes, it doesn't sting.

tinytears Mon 01-Mar-21 17:38:23

Amberone

@tinytears be very careful using castor (or any) oil near your eyes - if it seeps in to your eyes they are going to get very red and sore.

I use an old mascara brush (very well cleaned!) and make sure that there is minimal oil on the brush - wipe it on a tissue first.

Thank you for the tip, will certainly be careful!