Gransnet forums

AIBU

No More ‘Mr Potato Head’!

(41 Posts)
Bridgeit Thu 04-Mar-21 09:03:01

The toy formally known as Mr Potato Head is now going to be renamed ‘Potato Head’ in order to comply with Gender identification/ non identification.
Any thoughts?

Aveline Sun 07-Mar-21 19:15:36

???

Callistemon Sun 07-Mar-21 19:54:29

agnurse

Oh, there was a Mrs. Potato Head around years before Toy Story ever came out. We got a Mrs. Potato Head when I was a child, probably a good five years or so before Toy Story.

Terribull ???

I failed to curtsey to King Edward this evening.
He said 'Orf with her head'!
So I chopped him and (s)mashed him.

agnurse yes, Toy Story is 1995 and my oldest DD had a Mr PotatoHead in the 1970s.
He didn't have a wife sad

agnurse Mon 08-Mar-21 04:18:02

Callistemom

We got both the Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head years before Toy Story came out.

BigBertha1 Mon 08-Mar-21 07:23:53

First real laugh Ive had in ages.

Puzzled Mon 08-Mar-21 10:36:32

I used to think that "Woke" was what I did first thing in the morning!
We are being bullied my a minority who are determined to take offence at anything. They will try to convince you that the colour of your garage door is racist.
They have to little to do, and should get a life!
OH and I are old enough to be content with what we have and not to try to dominate everyone else's lives.
Now that makes me a Grumpy Old Something (Non gender specific?)

Ilovecheese Mon 08-Mar-21 10:43:56

I don't understand why people are so annoyed about this. Why should a potato be assumed to be male? It is a potato!

GagaJo Mon 08-Mar-21 10:48:59

I'm with you absent and Ilovecheese. It's a spud. They don't have genitalia or gender identity.

Storm in a chip shop.

grandmajet Mon 08-Mar-21 10:54:08

I had a Mr Potato Head in the ‘50s. No wonder I grew up so sexist!

TerriBull Mon 08-Mar-21 11:19:34

I think there is a tendency to underestimate the piece of plastic the individual formerly known as Mr Potato Head. I think as potatoes go, he is multi layered, one only has to see that when he they present as a Dauphinoise. Furthermore they are blessed with an intuitiveness that goes beyond the realms of anything Mattel could possibly have imagined. Did they not inform the world of "laser envy" ? even Fraud himself hadn't come up with that one hmm Clearly Potato Head, as he is now known smashed it when he revealed that to an in thrall audience of Toy Story 1.

GagaJo Mon 08-Mar-21 11:27:42

Hahahahahaha Terribull, smashed it. Excellent. Made me actually laugh aloud.

TerriBull Mon 08-Mar-21 11:40:43

Gaga Jo when you're back with your little grandson again, and if you get the chance, sit down and watch that film with him. My little boy was about 5 when we saw it when it first came out. He sat through it agog. I remember thinking what a great children's film it was. Possibly a Pixar first so that animation was quite ground breaking then. The dialogue was very clever with adult overtones that went right over the heads of the children it was aimed at.

GagaJo Mon 08-Mar-21 11:55:39

My bloke loves it, and I watched it with him, but animation isn't my thing. But you're right, I will do ANYTHING for my GS, so I will give it a go. Thank you for the recommendation.

Oldwoman70 Mon 08-Mar-21 12:03:32

I despair that I live in a time when someone was actually paid to consider the gender of a plastic potato!

muse Mon 08-Mar-21 12:04:19

Terribull. grin

Let's not forget Miss Sweet Potato. But there again, she's quite thick skinned!

GagaJo Mon 08-Mar-21 12:07:59

EXACTLY Oldwoman70. Really, WGAF.